Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Di2 + Two Garmins

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Di2 + Two Garmins

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-23, 05:25 PM
CaliTexan

Bikes: 2019 Co-Motion Carrera (S&S) / 1998 Litespeed Tuscany / 2014 Wilier Zero 7

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
Di2 + Two Garmins

I have a Garmin 1040 on the front of the tandem and a Garmin 1030 on the back of the tandem. The bike has Ultegra 11 speed Di2.

When i use the buttons on the top of the shifters to change screens on the Garmin, it changes the screen on both Garmins.

Q: is there any way to configure it so the Di2 buttons only control the Garmin unit up front and leave the screens on the back unit as is? The stoker doesn't like me messing with her screens...

(It seems like this might be a Di2 configuration issue, not a Garmin issue, but haven't found the answer searching under either.)
Old 07-08-23, 11:57 PM
TerryDi2C
Di2 fanatic

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 42 Posts
Di2 systems just sends a "D-fly Ch" signal/command to all connected ANT units. There is no way to send that to just one of the units.

You need to set this up on the Garmin .

Last edited by TerryDi2C; 07-09-23 at 12:16 AM.
Old 07-09-23, 08:03 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3242 Post(s)
Liked 2,087 Times in 1,182 Posts
Disable the Di2 setup on the 1030
Old 07-09-23, 09:35 AM
CaliTexan

Bikes: 2019 Co-Motion Carrera (S&S) / 1998 Litespeed Tuscany / 2014 Wilier Zero 7

Originally Posted by Steve B.
Disable the Di2 setup on the 1030
configuring the D-Fly channels (several levels down inside the Garmin) allows me to select the action that a single tap, double tap or long tap on each hood button produces. But there’s no option for “do nothing”. The default setup for D-Fly channel 1 & 2 is that one click on the L or R hood buttons advances to the next screen. And that’s the behavior we’re seeing.

I could disable the Di2 completely on the rear unit, but won’t it then lose features like cadence, gears, etc?

Last edited by CaliTexan; 07-10-23 at 01:16 AM.
Old 07-09-23, 09:36 AM
TerryDi2C
Di2 fanatic

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 42 Posts
Cadence no, gears yes
Old 07-09-23, 01:03 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Originally Posted by CaliTexan
configuring the D-Fly channels (several levels down inside the Garmin) allows me to select the action that a single tap, double tap or long tap on each hood button produces. But there’s no option for “do nothing”. The default setup for D-Fly channel 1 & 2 is that one click on the L or R hood buttons advances to the screen. And that’s the behavior we’re seeing.

I could disable the Di2 completely on the rear unit, but won’t it then lose features like cadence, gears, etc?
Well you are kind of stuck. You cannot select to shut off screen switching on the rear and keep gear and cadence, Garmin has set up an all or nothing and Di2 as well.
Old 07-09-23, 05:07 PM
CaliTexan

Well you are kind of stuck. You cannot select to shut off screen switching on the rear and keep gear and cadence, Garmin has set up an all or nothing and Di2 as well.
I'm afraid you might be right about that.

As an interim measure, on the stoker's Garmin, I've configured the hood button to always go to a map screen that the stoker likes to use, rather than advancing to the next screen. That may result in fewer instances where I bump her off of the screen she's using. But someone has suggested that, if this function is implemented in the Di2 part of the system, rather than the Garmin unit, then this same button assignment will show up on the captain's Garmin as well as the stoker's Garmin. If that's true, then the captain can't switch screens with the hood button, except to that one screen. I'll test this out on the next ride.

Its frustrating because this part of the Di2/Garmin system is actually very configurable, but simply lacks the ability to tell the hood button to disengage from the rear Garmin and "do nothing" on that unit when the button is pushed.
Old 07-10-23, 04:12 AM
Alcanbrad

Bikes: '14 CoMo Carrera, '11 CoMo Primera co-pilot, '98 Santana Visa, a Plethora of road bikes, A commuter/Gravel beast (and 1 MTB)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 38 Posts
Can you just disable Bluetooth on the rear head unit during the times you don’t want this behavior?
Old 07-10-23, 08:01 AM
Steve B.

Originally Posted by Alcanbrad
Can you just disable Bluetooth on the rear head unit during the times you don’t want this behavior?
You would have to turn off the connection in the sensor menu. Problem is the OP wants to retain gear indication and that requires the Di2 connection.
Old 07-10-23, 02:21 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 728 Times in 373 Posts
You would have to turn off the connection in the sensor menu. Problem is the OP wants to retain gear indication and that requires the Di2 connection.
so why does the stoker, who is not shifting really need to know the gear you’re in? If they really want to know it’s pretty easy for the stoker to simply look down.

the gear indicator is much more useful for the Captain, who is using the info to inform shifting, and can’t see both front chain rings and cassette nearly as easily as the stoker.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 07-10-23, 02:25 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 728 Times in 373 Posts
you won’t lose cadence. You need a linked power meter or cadence sensor to get cadence.

to my knowledge,unless they’ve added a feature of which I’m not aware, linking di2 without a cadence sensor, or power meter will not give you cadence.

and even if di2 linked to a Garmin can give you cadence, you could still turn it off and get cadence from a relatively inexpensive cadence sensor.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 07-12-23, 04:30 PM
quickrelease5

Bikes: 2019 Calfee tetra SRAM etap, 2009 colnago EPS, 2000 Trek 5.9 Domaine, 1978 Holdsworth professional

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
use your finger, not the brake lever button

would it be simplest just to have the captain swipe the touch screen Garmin gps to what ever screen desired and leave the stoker and his or her screen alone? what am I missing.
Likes For quickrelease5: