Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Anyone tandem touring loaded on 36-spoke rear?

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-23, 12:22 PM
sapporoguy

Bikes: 2000 Santana Sovereign SE; 2005 Co-Motion Speedster; Kona Kilauea with various dorky commuter accoutrements; Mercier Kilo TT fixie; Burley Fladbed trailer for groceries, bags of cement and the like.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 41 Posts

Do any of you tour fully loaded on a tandem with a 36-spoke rear wheel?
If so:
-What brand/model hub, spokes, rim?
-How has it held up?
-How is the 36h ride vs. a 40h or 48h wheel?
Respectfully, I'm not interested in debating the "why" just now. I'm looking only for 36-spoke case studies.
And by "loaded," I mean the bike.
Old 10-03-23, 12:35 PM
DangerousDanR

Bikes: Time Scylon, Lynskey R350, Ritchey Breakaway, Ritchey Double Switchback, Lynskey Ridgeline, ICAN Fatbike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 465 Post(s)
Liked 548 Times in 308 Posts
We have Spinergy TX2 24 spoke wheels from House of Tandems. They have been fine.
Old 10-03-23, 06:36 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3890 Post(s)
Liked 1,939 Times in 1,384 Posts
Built my own wheels, 36H, Chris King hubs, Kinlin XC-279 rims, 490g. Those rims are still available on ebay, but the 36H drilling maybe not. Have to look around. In any case, the idea is that deep-ish rims are very strong, never had a broken spoke. Camp-toured with 14-15 spokes, fine, even on cobbles. There are other, similar rims.
Old 10-03-23, 10:31 PM
Rick

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 401 Times in 277 Posts
sapporoguy: I had a mountain bike Tandem that I purchased that had 36 spoked wheels. This was in 1990 and the strength of the wheels was not enough. The parts were entry level, so spoke breakage was a problem. I built up 48 holed wheels for it. You want to find components strong enough to build a 36 spoked wheel set. Are you using 700c or 26" wheels ect. The andra 30 or 40 rims are the absolute strongest rims. Weather your purchase them for disk or rim brakes I would purchase the rim brake model. The side wall of the rim is machined. This makes it much nicer to build and true with dial indicators. I would use Phil Wood Tandem hubs if possible they are heavier. Sapim spokes would be my choice. Not knowing your rider weight, this is the stronger components available for a 36 spoked wheel set.
Old 10-05-23, 11:49 AM
IPassGas

Bikes: Schwinn, Nishiki, Santana, Trek, Rodriguez

Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by sapporoguy
-What brand/model hub, spokes, rim?
Yes, currently with 36 hole rohloff/SON28 hubs, 559 ryde andra rims, sapim double butted spokes (I built wheels). Generally loaded for camping with an overall weight of ~470 lbs (bike/gear/people). The wheels have remained true on 1-2 month tours on varied surfaces, ~20,000 mi, without spoke breakage. I do regularly check truing, sometimes with minor tweaks. The rohloff has no dish, average 110kgf tension both sides (the rohloff is much appreciated). On our older dished derailleur santana: 48/40 hole phil wood hubs, velocity dyad rims, wheelsmith triple butted spokes. Good for 100,000+ miles on long tours without spoke breakage.
Old 10-05-23, 04:36 PM
Rick

I have a Co-Motion Pangea Rohloff. I picked it up March 2014. I am very heavy and the shop I purchased it from Ignored my request for stronger rims. I ordered in Sapim 14g spokes and Andra 40 36 hole rims. I rebuilt the wheels. I have the Son SL 28 also. I ordered the rims with the machined sidewalls. I use dial indicators when I build wheels. Rim and hubs centered to .005" and stayed that way until someone suggested I put the Rohloff spoke rings on a couple of years ago.
Old 10-29-23, 08:11 PM
ksisler

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Loaded touring with a 36h wheel... well there will be several folks who respond with good results, but generally doing this is really good way to practice carrying your tandem home. You really need a better wheel.
Old 10-30-23, 07:47 AM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 949 Times in 556 Posts
Originally Posted by ksisler
Loaded touring with a 36h wheel... well there will be several folks who respond with good results, but generally doing this is really good way to practice carrying your tandem home. You really need a better wheel.
rims are far stronger then they used to be so you don't need as many spokes.
Likes For fooferdoggie:
Old 10-31-23, 06:07 AM
scycheng

Bikes: Merlin Road, Rivendell Road, Arvon custom tandme, Hi-Light G-7

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by fooferdoggie
rims are far stronger then they used to be so you don't need as many spokes.
That maybe the case but remember there are far fewer spokes to handle the unbalanced forces involved when one or 2 spokes do fail. With 48 spokes, you have 47 spokes left to handle the unbalanced forces. With 32, you have 31 spokes left to handle the same unbalanced forces. Your wheel will be much more out of true when a spoke do fail and more likely to fail as a result.
Old 10-31-23, 06:20 AM
IPassGas

Bikes: Schwinn, Nishiki, Santana, Trek, Rodriguez

Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
On a dished wheel, only half the spokes carry the load.
Old 10-31-23, 03:15 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Originally Posted by scycheng
That maybe the case but remember there are far fewer spokes to handle the unbalanced forces involved when one or 2 spokes do fail. With 48 spokes, you have 47 spokes left to handle the unbalanced forces. With 32, you have 31 spokes left to handle the same unbalanced forces. Your wheel will be much more out of true when a spoke do fail and more likely to fail as a result.
I had a minor collision with our tandem in a paceline. My front spokes ate the tail lamp of the bike in front of us. I didn't see any damage, but months later on a double century, a spoke broke, a CX-Ray BTW. I tied it off and trued the wheel as best I could. No problems in the 150 miles left. That's the only spoke I've broken in many 10s of thousands of miles.
Old 10-31-23, 04:12 PM
scycheng

Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
I had a minor collision with our tandem in a paceline. My front spokes ate the tail lamp of the bike in front of us. I didn't see any damage, but months later on a double century, a spoke broke, a CX-Ray BTW. I tied it off and trued the wheel as best I could. No problems in the 150 miles left. That's the only spoke I've broken in many 10s of thousands of miles.
I've only broke one spoke in the 30 years we've used 48-spoked wheel in Vermont by getting the rear wheel stuck in a deep pavement crack. Did not notice for 2 days.

My point is simply that the engineering margin of error is smaller with fewer spokes. At one extreme, wheel with few paired spokes, tend to handle broken spokes badly. At the other extreme where we are with 48-spoked 26" wheels, a broken spoke is not a big deal though quite rare.
Old 10-31-23, 04:16 PM
scycheng

Originally Posted by IPassGas
For a touring tandem, my preference is for un-dished wheels where both sides are tensioned the same. YMMV.
Old 10-31-23, 04:27 PM
TobyGadd

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 15 Posts
For a touring tandem, my preference is for un-dished wheels where both sides are tensioned the same. YMMV.
How would you make an un-dished back wheel and still keep the rim centered in the frame?
Old 10-31-23, 04:37 PM
scycheng

Originally Posted by TobyGadd
How would you make an un-dished back wheel and still keep the rim centered in the frame?
145mm spacing and Phil Woods cassette hub has worked for us. Note I upgraded the drive train to 11s cassette from 8 speed without a need to re-dish the wheel. I did send the rear wheel back to Phil Wood for a guts upgrade last year (new rachet ring,...) and it didn't affect the wheel dish.
Old 10-31-23, 04:53 PM
TobyGadd

145mm spacing and Phil Woods cassette hub has worked for us. Note I upgraded the drive train to 11s cassette from 8 speed without a need to re-dish the wheel. I did send the rear wheel back to Phil Wood for a guts upgrade last year (new rachet ring,...) and it didn't affect the wheel dish.
I'd love to see a picture of the wheel, from the top down.
Old 10-31-23, 05:08 PM
scycheng

I'd love to see a picture of the wheel, from the top down.
Not much to see since there is a fender and 50mm tires which obstruct the view. When I have a chance to service the rear wheel, I'll get a photo. If you use the same spoke length on both side and tension them to the same tension, you will get, by definition, an un-dished wheel.

I did find one photo of the modified one-sided 2x11 drive train as suggested by ChrisW. Perhaps you may find this interesting?

Old 10-31-23, 05:12 PM
TobyGadd

Not much to see since there is a fender and 50mm tires which obstruct the view. When I have a chance to service the rear wheel, I'll get a photo. If you use the same spoke length on both side and tension them to the same tension, you will get, by definition, an un-dished wheel.

I did find one photo of the modified one-sided 2x11 drive train as suggested by ChrisW. Perhaps you may find this interesting?
Sorry, but I'm just having difficulty picturing a rear wheel without a dish. Seems like the wheel would be very far from centered--unless it's something like a single-speed. The photo that you attached doesn't really add much clarity.
Old 10-31-23, 05:16 PM
scycheng

Sorry, but I'm just having difficulty picturing a rear wheel without a dish. Seems like the wheel would be very far from centered--unless it's something like a single-speed. The photo that you attached doesn't really add much clarity.
If you take a hub and axle assembly which is centred (no offset) and build a wheel with spokes of the same length tensioned to the same tension and a rim without offsetted drilling, you will get an un-dished wheel. Can only be done to my knowledge with 145mm rear spacing or more (ie. 160mm).
Old 10-31-23, 05:51 PM
TobyGadd

If you take a hub and axle assembly which is centred (no offset) and build a wheel with spokes of the same length tensioned to the same tension and a rim without offsetted drilling, you will get an un-dished wheel. Can only be done to my knowledge with 145mm rear spacing or more (ie. 160mm).
I understand the concept, but I've never seen it--which is why I asked for a photo. There just doesn't seem like there would be enough room for the hub and cassette to fit with an undished wheel, at least while keeping the wheel centered.

Edit: Since scycheng was unable to provide a photo or link, I went searching. Looks like Santana has used a special 160mm hub to make a "dishless" wheel. That hub requires, of course, a custom frame. They don't seem to think that the 145mm standard will work well. Here's the link: https://santanatandem.com/wheel-tech/

I've also found older references to a 145mm Phil Wood dishless rear hub, but I don't see it on their website. Maybe it was discontinued? I did find a 145mm referenced on a few wheel-building websites, but nothing about it being dishless.

My conclusion is that dishless rear wheels exist, although they are incredibly rare--apparently because they are unnecessary. I've never had a rear tandem wheel fail on either my MTB tandem or road tandem.

Last edited by TobyGadd; 11-01-23 at 02:21 PM.
Old 10-31-23, 06:41 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

I've only broke one spoke in the 30 years we've used 48-spoked wheel in Vermont by getting the rear wheel stuck in a deep pavement crack. Did not notice for 2 days.

My point is simply that the engineering margin of error is smaller with fewer spokes. At one extreme, wheel with few paired spokes, tend to handle broken spokes badly. At the other extreme where we are with 48-spoked 26" wheels, a broken spoke is not a big deal though quite rare.
My unstated but perhaps obvious point is that we have a much wider choice of 36H rims. As I posted above, a deeper rim is always a better choice, IMO anyway. Does a much better job of spreading the load among spokes.
Old 10-31-23, 07:24 PM
scycheng

Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
My unstated but perhaps obvious point is that we have a much wider choice of 36H rims. As I posted above, a deeper rim is always a better choice, IMO anyway. Does a much better job of spreading the load among spokes.
Philosophically, I prefer parts on a touring tandem to be over-engineered enough that they don't fail in practice.

My emergency ride home is pedalling behind me. No denying that the newer rims are stronger. I still prefer 48 single butted/swaged Sapim spokes on a touring tandem. Boring, heavy and reliable. I have had problems finding a replacement front rack of any sort in bigger towns in Provence so what we are pedalling had better not fail.

Literally, it's a case of YMMV.

Last edited by scycheng; 11-01-23 at 06:31 AM.
Old 10-31-23, 09:40 PM
Rick

I purchased a Burley Bongo Tandem in 1991. It came with suzie 36 spoked wheels. I couldn't get 5 miles up a canyon without spokes breaking on the rear wheel. I ordered in two sets of dishless 48 holed Phil Wood hubs. They used seven speed freewheels. With the pregnant wife and pulling two children in a cart the spokes didn't break on the Phil wood hubs. If you really want the strongest 36 spoked wheels. I would use quality dishless hubs and Ryde Andra 40 rims. These are old school box rims and there very heavy.
Old 11-01-23, 12:37 PM
headasunder

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by IPassGas
In that case may as well remove all those spokes that aren't being used
Old 11-01-23, 01:47 PM
Rick

In that case may as well remove all those spokes that aren't being used
The only half the spokes carry the load is a joke. Dishless wheels are stronger because of equal tension on both sides. More spokes definitely makes a stronger wheel and having both dishless and more spokes is great. My old tandem once equipped with 48 spoked dishless wheels never broke spokes. In over 30 years there has been a couple of cracked rims.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.