Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Headset for '70s frame - How not tight is too not tight enough?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-24, 04:09 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,841 Times in 2,232 Posts

The 'problem' is that both upper and lower cups fit rather easily into the headtube of this '72 Holdsworth Pro. They only become snug with ~1 to 1.5mm remaining and could be pressed in by hand the remaining distance with little effort. I checked with a new headset and new fits even more loosely. The bottom race was pressed on to the fork crown by bike shop so I intend to proceed with the assembly (after I source caged bearings), but my query to the group is:

1. Should I build as normal, test ride and if normal = forget-about-it?
2. Build it and substitute a thread lock product instead of grease?
3. Something else?

This is a rough build to ride and verify the frameset straightness, characteristics, etc. But the headset issue must be decided. Might be a keeper and worth re-doing paint & decals if all goes well.
Pics show the small distance left after lightly putting into place.

Thanks in advance for all opinions.
Old 02-08-24, 04:16 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3890 Post(s)
Liked 6,488 Times in 3,211 Posts
Blue Loctite certainly can't hurt. If you don't think they'll spin but you're still a little unsure, an easy way to verify is to build it up and make a Sharpie mark on both pieces and inspect alignment periodically.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 02-08-24, 04:25 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
My take? I'd tap those cups in, build it up and ride it. Do some hard braking on hills and see if you feel any clicking, Likewise over rough pavement. NO? forget about it. Yes but only once in a while? Ride it until it bets bad or the bike needs a paint job. Take to a framebuilder, have him slather in braze and ream to the proper diameter. Done for good.

Tougher call if this is a flip. Can't help you there. (FBNy or Andrew might step in and have better advice but there's mine. There is no safety issue here, just the possibility of a little irritating noise/feel.)
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 02-08-24, 04:30 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4513 Post(s)
Liked 6,388 Times in 3,673 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood
The 'problem' is that both upper and lower cups fit rather easily into the headtube of this '72 Holdsworth Pro. They only become snug with ~1 to 1.5mm remaining and could be pressed in by hand the remaining distance with little effort. I checked with a new headset and new fits even more loosely. The bottom race was pressed on to the fork crown by bike shop so I intend to proceed with the assembly (after I source caged bearings), but my query to the group is:

3. Something else?

This is a rough build to ride and verify the frameset straightness, characteristics, etc. But the headset issue must be decided. Might be a keeper and worth re-doing paint & decals if all goes well.

I would encourage you to at least use clear loctite (S glue) and or alu can shims and grease.

It needs to be a tight fit and never waller anymore at all, its already loose, needs to be arrested here and now IMO.
Likes For merziac:
Old 02-08-24, 04:32 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 868 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 396 Posts
I'd use blue Loctite too.
Likes For Reynolds:
Old 02-08-24, 04:34 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

3. Something else?

I would get it setup to be tight and still use a press to fully seat it so it has zero wiggle room.
Old 02-08-24, 04:34 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,841 Times in 2,232 Posts
No tin can shim will be used. And it is not that loose, imho.

edit: Won't be a high mileage bike (my 'pack' mentality) - so running the headset a bit tight is a good idea, @merziac

Last edited by Wildwood; 02-08-24 at 04:40 PM.
Old 02-08-24, 04:50 PM
merziac

No tin can shim will be used. And it is not that loose, imho.
Yeah, I realize the shim hack is really a kludge too far but I have used it with %100 success long term several times, I never trust any wiggle without proper tightness, shims almost always employed.

25 years of drag racing mc's taught me to never trust a potential problem without some sort of robust mitigation often in the form of a hack.

You rarely have the luxury of a proper fix to make the next round but you have to be reasonably sure it and you will make it down the track again.