Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

1940's mid-sized tricycles.

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-24, 02:32 PM
MaxKatt
TeeOhPea 2tha DeeOhGee

Bikes: Several

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 187 Times in 76 Posts

My step-mother turns 87 tomorrow. A childhood friend from Brooklyn sent her a picture of them playing as kids. I've never seen the slightly larger tricycles the boys seem to be on.

Eileen-

I came across this old photo from Sterling Street in the 1940's. I thought you'd enjoy seeing us all again as children:

Henry & Martin Druckerman, Eileen Bloomer, Walter Seekircher and Bobby Berman.

Regards,
Henry

Last edited by MaxKatt; 03-08-24 at 02:36 PM.
Likes For MaxKatt:
Old 03-08-24, 03:48 PM
FrejusFlyer

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 73 Posts
Great photo! I don't remember seeing trikes that size before. I have a photo of my dad on a trike in the 40's, but it's the typical smaller trike. His photo was taken in Brooklyn as well. I recognize those red brick homes. I still ride a trike, but it looks like this.
Likes For FrejusFlyer:
Old 03-08-24, 08:43 PM
MeadMan2

Bikes: Mead Ranger '24- Armstrong 3sp '64 Follis 172 '74 Centurian Accordo 80's Mercian '85 Mark Zeh road '86 Kona Explosif '93 Merkx Ti AX '97 Santana Arriva tandem '99 Bike Friday tandem

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 23 Posts
I'm 85 and I remember a trike I had that seems to have had larger wheels but then again I was smaller then. Even so, I think the wheels were larger than the typical child's trike, even larger than the trikes in the photo.
Old 03-08-24, 08:50 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaņa pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 868 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 396 Posts
I'm 73 and remember having a Peugeot tricycle in the '50s that was bigger than the common ones, similar to those in the photo. It had belonged to my uncle, so probably from the late 30s or early 40s.
Old 03-09-24, 10:45 AM
Peruano
Biker

Bikes: Boone McReynolds, Centurion Pro Tour

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 61 Posts
Big trikes big wheels

I had such a trike. By removing the seat and inverting the head tube on the fork and reinstalling the bars you produced the 50's version of the low slung big wheel. You sat on a board positioned on the step between the rear wheels. The modern commercially successful analog was a safer improvement because cheap plastic made more noise making the low rifle ride more conspicuous to vehicles or pedestrians.
Likes For Peruano: