Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

do I need a road bike?

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

do I need a road bike?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-21, 11:04 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1113 Post(s)
Liked 848 Times in 592 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
Are you sure the OP isn't still dreaming of updating the Dahon for a 15 pound road bike?
Considering how bored some people are, who knows,...
Old 08-12-21, 02:26 AM
Fentuz

Bikes: Dahon Jetstream p8 (sold), customized Dahon Helios x10, customzed Dahon Smooth Hound x11,customized Dahon Hammerhead 8.0 d7, Planet X Free Ranger (mullet setup 1x11), Planet X Giovanissimi 20 (1x9), Frog 52 (1x9) and Frog 48 1s

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 176 Posts
1st thing I'd ask is what tyres do you run? My helios with kojak 35-406 is faster that my gravel bike on XC tyres (gravel would be faster on slicks due to gearing a 1kg lighter).
I initially rebuilt my helios to road spec with double chainring (7x2) using tourney levers with a 11-30 cassette and kojaks which made the bike much faster... the slicks have less rolling resistance and are almost 1/2 the weight of the marathon/big apple. Then I came across a cheap set of brand new wheel (kinetix comp) for £60... so I converted it to a 9x2 with a road cassette 11-25 which is much nicer as the gap between gears is much smoother.
https://www.bikeforums.net/folding-b...e-type-tt.html.

I like that set up so much that when I rebuilt the jetstream, I went for a 9x1 sora setup... nice and smooth.

Either way, if you haven't done start with the tyres (£40 - $60) then, if you are still unhappy, get a set of kinetic comp (or equivalent) wheels (£150) a 9 speed cassette (£30) and sora derailleur and shifter (~£100 new but cheaper on ebay) or the full groupset and a litepro FD mount, a litepro crank/ chainings (£70)... and basically, for £400 (or less if you find some bargain, you can get your bike to a spec pretty similar to the speed pro and speed pro TT.

That will be cheaper that a carbon road bike which will be at least $1000...
Likes For Fentuz:
Old 08-12-21, 10:39 AM
duke_of_hazard

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Jipe
And 12 years later, if I understand well, the Dahon D7 is still riding?

Congratulation!
Unfortunately the D7 got stolen in 2011. Then I stopped biking till now ! I got an older generation D7 so am working on pimping it back up to like my previous D7.
Likes For duke_of_hazard:
Old 08-12-21, 10:40 AM
duke_of_hazard

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
Are you sure the OP isn't still dreaming of updating the Dahon for a 15 pound road bike?
Actually I am. I find I don't really use the folding aspect that often. But the compact size helps even when it is not folded.

I do want a road bike I can use for commuting. It should be lighter, have narrower tires and have all the commuting accessories like rack and fenders..
Old 08-12-21, 11:01 AM
Fentuz

Bikes: Dahon Jetstream p8 (sold), customized Dahon Helios x10, customzed Dahon Smooth Hound x11,customized Dahon Hammerhead 8.0 d7, Planet X Free Ranger (mullet setup 1x11), Planet X Giovanissimi 20 (1x9), Frog 52 (1x9) and Frog 48 1s

In that case, look at Poseidon gravel bikes and fit some slicks. I believe there are some just under 10kg with many bag packing mounts etc.
Likes For Fentuz:
Old 08-12-21, 11:53 AM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
Road bikes are the most minimalist expression of the most efficient machine ever built - the bicycle.

A road bike feels fast and smooth, and putting extra watts into the pedals gives sets up a feedback loop where it makes you feel fast so you want to go faster, so you push on the pedals a bit more and.... ….and repeat.

However, no-one 'needs' a road bike. I think the world wold be a better place if everyone had, or at least has tried, a good quality road bike that fits them properly. They are lovely, but not a need.

However, I have a road bike and I need a folding bike!
Old 08-12-21, 12:15 PM
duke_of_hazard

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Fentuz
In that case, look at Poseidon gravel bikes and fit some slicks. I believe there are some just under 10kg with many bag packing mounts etc.
I checked them out but seems these are mountain bikes. Are there no commuting bikes designed for speed? Or road bikes designed for commuting? I think I need fenders because one never knows when it will rain..
Old 08-12-21, 01:35 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18376 Post(s)
Liked 4,511 Times in 3,353 Posts
For small wheel bikes, the "Mini-Velo" bikes are popular in other countries. Essentially folding bikes that don't fold.

Bike Friday here in Eugene has some unique bikes. The "Pocket Rocket" is a folding drop bar bike, although they do apparently put drop bars onto some of their different models.

You can get them in the standard BMX 20-406 wheels, or the narrower 20-451 wheels.

Still, there is a lot to say for a good pure road bike.
Old 08-12-21, 02:33 PM
Fentuz

Originally Posted by duke_of_hazard
I checked them out but seems these are mountain bikes. Are there no commuting bikes designed for speed? Or road bikes designed for commuting? I think I need fenders because one never knows when it will rain..
they are gravel bikes not mountainbike. I ride mine of the road @24 to27kph average on a 40k with mountain bike XC tyres. I know that if I was to fit slicks, i would zoom much faster and without applying as much power.
gravel bikes are make for longer journey.
in the UK, shops sell budget gravel (£800 like planet x london road or £1300 cinelli zydeco lala) as commuting bike because they are fast, stable, strong and wider tyres allow for various terrain.
these gravels can take the weight of the rider and bagages which is something that some pure road bike cannot. For example, some canyon cannot take more than 100kg (rider + luggage) which can be limiting for some people when commuting with laptop, change of close etc.

sks does fenders and the frame should have the mounting point.

They are different types of gravel, the road orientated with 100 to 400% gearing on semi slicks. Or the MTB XC like mine with 80 to 340% gearing on XC tyres.

Last edited by Fentuz; 08-12-21 at 02:38 PM.
Likes For Fentuz:
Old 08-13-21, 09:33 AM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1113 Post(s)
Liked 848 Times in 592 Posts
Originally Posted by duke_of_hazard
Gravel bikes can handle off road trails, and city streets with ease - especially with slicks. Fentuz gave you a solid recommendation.
Old 08-15-21, 06:45 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3460 Post(s)
Liked 1,466 Times in 1,144 Posts
For commuting, instead of a skinny tire road bike, consider touring or randonneuring bikes. Touring and rando bikes would likely handle nicer for a commuter and may have wider more comfortable tires on the bumps. And easier to put fenders on a touring or rando bike.

Or, a mini-velo bike as noted by CliffordK. If you like small wheels on a folder, you may be happy with the small wheels on a non-folding mini-velo.

I use drop bars on my Airnimal Joey folding bike, I prefer using the drops in headwinds.

One thing to note however, small wheel bikes usually have rather quick handling, but commuting where you are riding the same route most every day, slower handling can be nice if you get bored and your mind starts to wander.

I often get perturbed when I see someone resurrecting a 12 year old thread, but when I saw it was the OP with an update, in my opinion that was completely forgivable. And it would be nice if more OPs offered updates, instead of demanding help and then going silent.
Likes For Tourist in MSN:
Old 08-20-21, 05:38 AM
Sardines

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 48 Posts
I think it's all about what kind of commute you have. Light gravel, single tracks etc, a slick like a Schwalbe G 1, or if just on roads and a bit of single tracking, faster tires like the Marathon Supreme or Panaracer RibMo work well.
A full size folding also works well. I had great trouble with my Montague joints, and the way it folds is just rubbish. The Flat/Change bike does pretty well as a commuter, and rides well. Hybrids are fast but nothing is as fast as a road bike, but how much time do you save, vs having to change, arriving fresher etc etc.
Old 08-21-21, 04:47 AM
Jipe

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 247 Times in 211 Posts
For commuting, one important point is what you need to carry with you for the commuting and how to carry it.

Road bike most of the time do not offer anything to carry on the bike, no rack mount, no front bag... The only solution is to use a rucksack which is really uncomfortable especially if the weight of what you need is realtively heavy or/and if the weather is warm/hot.

Gravel bike have almost always fastening points for rear and front rack.

Good folding bikes like Brompton and Birdy offer several solutions to carry things, rear/front rack, front bag...

The next point i where can you store your bike at destination of commuting. If there is no safe parking possibilities, risk of having the bike stolen is very high especially if you park the bike almost everyday at the same place and in this case a small folding bike that you can take inside with you is a must. A folding bike like the Birdy is as fast as a gravel bike.
Old 08-28-21, 03:07 PM
birdmove

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 15 Posts
I don't mind reading older threads. I was impressed reading this one that he can get 25mph, and now a couple more than that, on a folding bike. I ride a single speed flat bar road bike (a cheapo) and I do tuck down if possible when riding into the wind, or coasting.
Old 08-28-21, 03:09 PM
birdmove

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 15 Posts
I don't mind reading older threads. I was impressed reading this one that he can get 25mph, and now a couple more than that, on a folding bike. I ride a single speed flat bar road bike (a cheapo) and I do tuck down if possible when riding into the wind, or coasting.