Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

2017 Race Plans

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-17, 12:44 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3375 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
2017 Race Plans

I didn't see this thread already so stating here.

Anyone doing Hill Climb National Championship Aug 12, 2017 is interesting as I *think* it is the only NC that combines Pros and Amateurs. They are in their 3rd year and it is getting some interest.
Gaimon posted he's doing it. Should be fun seeing all in one group.

"3. This event is open to all Pro riders including members of Women’s UCI Teams, Continental Teams, Pro Continental Teams and Men’s WorldTeams. "

RULES 1. BICYCLE REGULATIONS: In general, the regulations for bicycles are those of USA Cycling. Please refer to section 1I – Bicycles, in the USA Cycling rulebook:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/USACWeb/for..._Chapter_1.pdf

The main points are: a. Bicycles may be no more than 2 meters long and 75 cm wide. b. There may be no protective shield, fairing, or other device on any part of the bicycle, which has the effect of reducing air resistance except that spoke covers may be used. c. Wheels may be made with spokes or solid construction. d. The handlebar ends shall be solidly plugged. e. Handlebars with ends, features, or attachments that extend forward or upward or that provide support for other than the rider's hands are not permitted.

Per USA Cycling regulations, the following UCI regulations will be in effect for the event.

For Mass Start Events: a. Bicycle frames must be of double triangle construction b. Wheels must be of the same diameter between 550 and 700 cm.

Other UCI regulations, including minimum weight, saddle and handlebar placement will not be in effect.

Registration
Old 01-09-17, 01:27 PM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 679 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by Doge
For Mass Start Events: a. Bicycle frames must be of double triangle construction b. Wheels must be of the same diameter between 550 and 700 cm.
I'm thinking this must be a typo, because 700 cm is roughly 23 feet. That would be two-story tall wheels.

But it would be a hell of a race to watch.
Old 01-09-17, 01:43 PM
Doge

Originally Posted by topflightpro
I'm thinking this must be a typo, because 700 cm is roughly 23 feet. That would be two-story tall wheels.

But it would be a hell of a race to watch.
And you think what I post is unintelligible 50% of the time.

Seems the Masters NCs were able to race with these rules: https://s3.amazonaws.com/USACWeb/for...quirements.pdf
"Per USA Cycling regulations, the following UCI regulations will be in effect for the event.
For Mass Start Events and Individual Time Trials:
a. Bicycle frames must be of double triangle construction
b. Wheels must be of the same diameter between 550 and 700 cm.
Other UCI regulations, including saddle and handlebar placement, will not be in effect."
Old 01-19-17, 12:48 PM
JoesInBoston
Love that dirty water

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just registered for the Chico Stage Race, 4/5 field plus the Thunderhill race. Anyone got some tips for an east coaster who has nobody around to talk to about it?
Old 01-19-17, 01:04 PM
mattm
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by JoesInBoston
I just registered for the Chico Stage Race, 4/5 field plus the Thunderhill race. Anyone got some tips for an east coaster who has nobody around to talk to about it?
It's fun. The gravel section in the RR isn't fun, but survivable.

For Thunderhill circuit race, positioning is key - there's a short corkscrew-type climb that's maybe 15%, but 20 seconds, and people on the back will be track standing while waiting to get over the top - so be up front for that, especially in the last lap.

In the RR the gravel is ~12 mi in to the race, and everyone wants to hit it first. Lining up front is key here, and staying up front. The road leading up to the gravel is small and rough too, I found it hard to move up. When you first hit the gravel it's a slight uphill, and guys will be in the wrong gear and maybe putting a foot down - don't be behind them! The gravel was pretty loose, at least a few years ago, but ridable on 23's. Also there's a climb right after the gravel, that will pop guys, don't be one of them.

The crit is pretty technical but a good one.

My experience from Chico is from the 1/2's field, with 160+ riders - it was crowded! Hopefully your field is smaller than that. Good luck!

my race videos
Old 01-19-17, 01:57 PM
dz_nuzz
Rides too much bike

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mattm
and everyone wants to hit it first. Lining up front is key here, and staying up front. The road leading up to the gravel is small and rough too, I found it hard to move up.
I thought cross was over?
Old 01-19-17, 02:06 PM
hack

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Fun race ... if you're doing the 4/5 the road race is one lap of Paskenta. That will include some rollers leading into the gravel section. Gravel section is the meat of the race depending on wind. Gravel will be 15 minutes or so of surging riding with guys losing wheels, taking bad lines, etc. After the gravel, there is a 90-120s climb that will kill anyone off that struggled in the gravel. That leaves the long run into the finish. If the wind is from the north, it'll be a miserable gutterfest. If it's not, well, it won't be as bad. After you turn off Paskenta Road and are heading into the finish, there will be some rollers in the closing kilometer and a stairstepped finish.

Crit is great. Fun course, wide roads, 6 turns. Finishing sprint is SHORT.

TT is a straightforward 10 miles two turn, course. Wind will determine how miserable you'll feel.

Last edited by hack; 01-19-17 at 02:13 PM.
Old 01-19-17, 02:11 PM
mattm
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by dz_nuzz
I thought cross was over?
I know right!

Last time I did Chico I cursed the gravel the whole time, promised myself I'd never go back... how easily we forget. I'll probably go back this year.

my race videos
Old 01-19-17, 02:17 PM
dz_nuzz
Rides too much bike

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Both of the major stage races here (KSR and GMSR) have these short un-paved sections in their Road Races. Every year we hit them and freak out, by the time we get around to them the next year somone inevitably says "Hey isn't there a dirt section?" and everyone collectively goes "Oh crap, I purged that from my memory...".
Old 01-19-17, 02:23 PM
hack

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
The gravel (4-5 miles?) at Chico is really the major feature of the course ... well, aside from the bombed out road leading into it. Wind can be killer, too, but last year the cross wind section was all tailwind.
Old 01-19-17, 03:48 PM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
I had planned to do Chico; my brother just moved up there so I will do it next year if he doesn't relocate again. I've been itching to do a real stage race, they're getting rare these days.
Old 01-19-17, 04:07 PM
aaronmcd

Bikes: Cervelo S5, Marin Gestalt X11

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by hack
The gravel (4-5 miles?) at Chico is really the major feature of the course ... well, aside from the bombed out road leading into it. Wind can be killer, too, but last year the cross wind section was all tailwind.
Yeah the road leading up to it (crap pavement and no centerline so everyone ignores centerline rule) and the climb out of it (I recall more like 5 minutes but not too steep for a flatlander under extreme duress) really makes the gravel a bigger deal than it would be otherwise.

Oh and is reg open? Last I checked a couple days ago I didn't see any info for this year.

Edit: In the 3/4s the hard part about the gravel was passing all the dudes who dont seem to understand that they can still hold a wheel in gravel. Then you're finally near the front when another dude opens a gap, you hit a climb, and you have to go extra hard to catch on. I assume this would be even worse in the 4/5 group!

Last edited by aaronmcd; 01-19-17 at 04:11 PM.
Old 01-19-17, 04:12 PM
hack

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by aaronmcd
Yeah the road leading up to it (crap pavement and no centerline so everyone ignores centerline rule) and the climb out of it (I recall more like 5 minutes but not too steep for a flatlander under extreme duress) really makes the gravel a bigger deal than it would be otherwise.

Oh and is reg open? Last I checked a couple days ago I didn't see any info for this year.
Reg is open and the website has an updated flyer. Looks like things are more or less the same, but with shorter circuit race and crit durations.

Originally Posted by furiousferret
I had planned to do Chico; my brother just moved up there so I will do it next year if he doesn't relocate again. I've been itching to do a real stage race, they're getting rare these days.
We just lost the Madera Stage Race ... not a well attended stage race, but a stage race nonetheless. That just leaves Chico (not sure how the new Red Kite one will shakeout as a stage race/omnium).
Old 01-19-17, 04:16 PM
aaronmcd

Reg is open and the website has an updated flyer. Looks like things are more or less the same, but with shorter circuit race and crit durations.
Shorter crit is fine by me. By the time I do the crit my legs are heavy and I'm just tailgunning to hang on and move up to a midpack finish. I may do the race if I have a few teammates to race for. I'll be close to last place in the TT even if I give it everything, I bet. It's all about the RR in my book.
Old 01-19-17, 04:27 PM
hack

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Shorter crit is fine by me. By the time I do the crit my legs are heavy and I'm just tailgunning to hang on and move up to a midpack finish. I may do the race if I have a few teammates to race for. I'll be close to last place in the TT even if I give it everything, I bet. It's all about the RR in my book.
2's and 35+ 123 are down to a 40 min crit. After all the other racing, I think that's plenty.
Old 01-19-17, 04:46 PM
aaronmcd

2's and 35+ 123 are down to a 40 min crit. After all the other racing, I think that's plenty.
Wow 40' is REALLY short for cat 2. I did 3/4 last year. I take back what I said, I think 2s should do 60' cuz that's the min for upgrade points.

I got that new Hensley RR to add a lap and get up over 80 miles on the same principle! Now I better show up and race it.
Old 01-19-17, 05:02 PM
hack

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Wow 40' is REALLY short for cat 2. I did 3/4 last year. I take back what I said, I think 2s should do 60' cuz that's the min for upgrade points.

I got that new Hensley RR to add a lap and get up over 80 miles on the same principle! Now I better show up and race it.

It is odd that they'd drop it below upgrade duration, but maybe they're thinking by rolling it into a stage race the points are out there somewhere. For comparison, at Cascade 2's did 45 min last year and we're down to 35 this year.

Edit ... is Hensley new?

Last edited by hack; 01-19-17 at 05:05 PM.
Old 01-19-17, 05:22 PM
aaronmcd

It is odd that they'd drop it below upgrade duration, but maybe they're thinking by rolling it into a stage race the points are out there somewhere. For comparison, at Cascade 2's did 45 min last year and we're down to 35 this year.

Edit ... is Hensley new?
I haven't seen it since I've been racing.

Looks like there was a college race at the same location with the same name but a different course back in 2013
Old 01-19-17, 05:42 PM
hack

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I haven't seen it since I've been racing.

Looks like there was a college race at the same location with the same name but a different course back in 2013

Hmm ... they're limiting the 35+ 123 lot to 44 miles. Looks like a fun course though.
Old 01-19-17, 06:50 PM
Doge

Strong sidewalls. Tubulars would be the preferred tire.

I don't like the race as the tires that best handle the gravel are not the best for the RR.
If there were one best tire for that RR I'd think Veloflex Vlaanderen but the rocks can cut any sidewall.
I bought a set for my son last year and he was rowing instead. Since he uses those tires all the time on gravel and single track (instead of his MTB) and they are fantastic. Not good for glass.

The race track is super smooth. So ideally you have a couple sets of wheels.

Last edited by Doge; 01-19-17 at 06:55 PM.
Old 01-20-17, 12:53 AM
tetonrider

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dz_nuzz
Both of the major stage races here (KSR and GMSR) have these short un-paved sections in their Road Races. Every year we hit them and freak out, by the time we get around to them the next year somone inevitably says "Hey isn't there a dirt section?" and everyone collectively goes "Oh crap, I purged that from my memory...".
that was me last year...sort of!

KSR stage 2... i asked people 'when is that dirt section they spent so much time warning us about in the tech guide?'

we'd passed it a few miles before.

it was smoother than the roads last year!
Old 01-20-17, 08:55 AM
JoesInBoston
Love that dirty water

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tetonrider
that was me last year...sort of!

KSR stage 2... i asked people 'when is that dirt section they spent so much time warning us about in the tech guide?'

we'd passed it a few miles before.

it was smoother than the roads last year!
This was my experience at Battenkill the first year I did it. The dirt roads were in better condition and smoother than some of the paved roads!
Old 01-20-17, 10:43 AM
tetonrider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mattm

In the RR the gravel is ~12 mi in to the race, and everyone wants to hit it first. Lining up front is key here, and staying up front. The road leading up to the gravel is small and rough too, I found it hard to move up. When you first hit the gravel it's a slight uphill, and guys will be in the wrong gear and maybe putting a foot down - don't be behind them! The gravel was pretty loose, at least a few years ago, but ridable on 23's. Also there's a climb right after the gravel, that will pop guys, don't be one of them.
+1. It's going to depend on field size, of course, but the road leading INTO the gravel is worse.

Gravel section is the meat of the race depending on wind. Gravel will be 15 minutes or so of surging riding with guys losing wheels, taking bad lines, etc.
The gravel section won't win the race, but it could lose it--esp if you're on the wrong wheel.

Yeah the road leading up to it (crap pavement and no centerline so everyone ignores centerline rule)

Edit: In the 3/4s the hard part about the gravel was passing all the dudes who dont seem to understand that they can still hold a wheel in gravel. Then you're finally near the front when another dude opens a gap, you hit a climb, and you have to go extra hard to catch on. I assume this would be even worse in the 4/5 group!
It's more a function of who has ever ridden cross or MTB -- or somewhere other than smooth paved roads. You can really tell in how they ride/react. You will see riders of any age or field handle this well and some handle it poorly.

Also, the weather leading into the race plays a role: lots of rain = more packed down & smoother. When it's a dry winter, it will be more loose and the rider has to just be OK with some loose steering to match.

This was my experience at Battenkill the first year I did it. The dirt roads were in better condition and smoother than some of the paved roads!
If you rode Battenkill and found it fine you will think the gravel section is trivial here.

Originally Posted by Doge
Strong sidewalls. Tubulars would be the preferred tire.
I agree with the tubular part, simply because tubulars are more resistant to pinch flats (hitting stuff you can't see in a big field -- also exacerbated if it is dry/dusty....less visibility). however, i think most riders will be fine on normal road tires here.

it IS a road we're talking about, and road tires are actually fine with dirt and gravel.

there is always the chance of hitting something and flatting, and beefier tires will help with that, but this is true on the road was well. you'll pay the price for it on the remaining 90% of the race that is NOT gravel.

i'll disagree about the sidewall part; beefier sidewalls generally help with real severe stuff. the FMB tires you see with reinforced sidewalls are used for Paris-Roubaix. If you've been there, you know that the cobbles are so wide that a tire can get in between them and the sidewall will shred. This just doesn't happen anywhere else, really. (I'm sure someone has an example to prove this wrong.)

Normal gravel won't shred a sidewall in most cases.

The notion of Battenkill (or Chico, or wherever) being *anything* like Paris-Roubaix (some folks throw around that comparison) -- and therefore requiring those tires is way, WAY off-base.
Old 01-20-17, 10:46 AM
tetonrider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
in a stage race that's not considered short.

what you have to remember is that they are trying to jam all the groups on the course in a limited amount of time. they have to make cuts somewhere.

and USAC will often let things slide for upgrade points -- e.g. if you win that crit in a solo break, i bet your points will count.

+1.

doubt you'll hear anyone complain.
Old 01-20-17, 10:51 AM
JoesInBoston
Love that dirty water

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tetonrider
The notion of Battenkill (or Chico, or wherever) being *anything* like Paris-Roubaix (some folks throw around that comparison) -- and therefore requiring those tires is way, WAY off-base.
Agreed. I always ran my fastest and lightest race tires at Battenkill. I recently started doing all my racing on wider (26c) tires, so I will likely do the same for Chico.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.