Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Gripper or slipper: what kind of saddle do you like?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-24, 08:18 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3162 Post(s)
Liked 1,718 Times in 1,037 Posts

I recently got a new bike which came fitted with a Selle Italia “Boost” saddle of some kind, and it has this crazy, totally grippy, rubberized surface. Looking online, it appears exactly— absent some printed text— like their Novus Boost EVO Superflow, leading me to wonder if mine is not some penny-saving OE variant with a cheap, rubbery covering rather than a fancy, synthetic leather.

I hate the thing, particularly as I’m trying to make fit adjustments to this new bike. I literally cannot shift a millimeter on this thing without getting totally up off the saddle! Even normally though, I’m pretty planted, but little slips fore/aft, readjusting, is something I do normally, so this saddle gotta go.

Does anyone want that kind of stickiness? Is that a thing…grippers?

OE only Selle Italia Novus Boost EVO Superflow?
Old 04-06-24, 08:49 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 1,439 Times in 820 Posts
I have 4 Pro saddles, 1 Falcon and 1 Turnix that are my favorites. Also, 1 Turnix that I like a lot, and 1 Griffon that I have on my least ridden bike. It’s ok when in a more upright position.
The Griffon, the low tier of the three, has the kind of surface described in the post, and I believe that is a factor. It does not feel natural to me, and I have never gotten used to the feel. Not bad for shorter rides, but can be a factor in saddle sores on long rides. The Falcon I acquired last month, used in very good shape. It quickly became my number 1 and is on my Soma Smoothie, my most used bike.
I have a couple of Selle Novus that are ok, but really stiff. They do not have that sticky surface. I had a base Novus that was quite comfortable and went with a bike I sold. It, too, did not have the stickiness.

Last edited by delbiker1; 04-06-24 at 08:55 AM.
Old 04-06-24, 08:55 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Originally Posted by delbiker1
The Griffon, the low tier of the three, has the kind of surface described in the post, and I believe that is a factor. It does not feel natural to me, and I have never gotten used to the feel. Not bad for shorter rides, but can be a factor in saddle sores on long rides.
Oh, yeah, I can definitely see how being essentially locked in position could contribute to saddle sores. Even with a chamois, losing that slip interface at the saddle seems like it could increase chance of saddle sores. Good point!
Old 04-06-24, 09:07 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

delbiker1 Selle Italia have employed a dizzying and confusing array of models, variants, and designations which have pushed me away from the brand over the years because it’s virtually impossible for me to understand how basic elements of saddle design, like shape, amount of padding, and covering material, relate to my preferences. There’s just too much junk with SI, IMO. Fizik have been my go-to for many years, but recently the San Marco Shortfit Racing have been nailin’ it for me, and one of those is inbound now to replace this saddle, bringing me to three Shortfit Racing in service.