Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Best Car for Bike Owners?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Best Car for Bike Owners?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-16, 07:16 AM
topslop1

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1531 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by eric1971
I would not want to have to take wheels off or install a rack every time.
So, don't. Install it and leave it. Had my $30 banger on there for the 2 past weeks straight. Used it maybe 2-3 days out of those 2 weeks. Do I care that it's on the car? No. Maybe it bothers other people, but that's none of my concern.
Old 03-18-16, 07:21 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1852 Post(s)
Liked 679 Times in 430 Posts
The correct answer is a Minivan.

They are the perfect cars for bicycles.
Old 03-18-16, 07:21 AM
hollywoodeskimo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I drive a Toyota Corolla and it works out fine for both my bike and my kayak. I have a trailer hitch mount for the bike rack and a top rack for the kayak. The car is very reliable. If you're after something stylish, then you'll have to look to another car. If you're looking for reliability, good mileage and a decent ride, I think the Corolla is a good bet.
Old 03-18-16, 07:30 AM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
Also, anyone have suggestions for a station wagon w/ a manual transmission?
Old 03-18-16, 07:32 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1353 Post(s)
Liked 1,249 Times in 626 Posts
Works for me

Old 03-18-16, 08:01 AM
bikecrate

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 624 Post(s)
Liked 399 Times in 226 Posts
Get a used Honda Element. I have a '03 that they will have to pry out of my cold dead hands. If not, my wife just got a new CRV. I haven't tried to take it with a bike yet, but it was a good price and has tons of features (lots of safety stuff too).
Old 03-18-16, 08:09 AM
redfooj
pluralis majestatis

Bikes: a DuhRosa

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by HardyWeinberg
Honda Fit
Old 03-18-16, 08:25 AM
FLvector
Stand and Deliver

Bikes: Cannondale R1000, Giant TCR Advanced, Giant TCR Advanced SL

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I would not want to have to take wheels off or install a rack every time.
Removing the front wheel and attaching to a skewer mount takes about 30 seconds and is the most secure way to haul a bike in my opinion. Everyone has their own personal preference.
Old 03-18-16, 08:30 AM
RPK79
Custom User Title

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix Pro & Quintana Roo Kilo

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2863 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 14 Posts
I purchased a Ford Flex last fall. I put a locking roof rack on it for bike transport, but it will also take an fully assembled bike in the back with the seats folded down. My single speed track bike is in there right now since I was too lazy to carry it upstairs after my ride on Sunday.

All wheel drive, 7 passenger seating, not a minivan, can tow 4500 lbs, and I've gotten 19 mpg over the winter which is somewhere between bad and good I guess...
Old 03-18-16, 09:09 AM
hollywoodeskimo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't understand all this talk about buying trucks or mini vans or suvs just to move your one bike around. All you need is a car that you are comfortable driving and a rack. You said you are only going to be hauling one bike. Almost any car will accept some sort of rack. No need to spend lots of money on a big vehicle and then the added cost of fuel and maintenance that a big vehicle requires. You don't need to be able to tow thousands of pounds. It's a bike. Get the car you want to drive and a bike rack that fits the car, is easy to install and onto which you can easily mount the bike. That's it. You need no more.
Old 03-18-16, 09:12 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,434 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by hollywoodeskimo
You don't need to be able to tow thousands of pounds. It's a bike.
So you don't need a 5000lb car to transport your 15lb bike?

As you said, almost any car can hold a single bike. Most have folding rear seats so simply removing the front wheel will allow it to fit in the trunk.

As I said previously, my road bike and MTB fit in my 2001 Civic 2 door with the rear seat down.

Last edited by GlennR; 03-18-16 at 09:23 AM.
Old 03-18-16, 09:29 AM
Jasper Storm

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Another vote for the Element.

Bikes inside= 1. No bug splatters 2. More secure (dark tinted windows mean one needs to be up close to see bikes, as opposed to roof racks seen from 1/4 mile) 3. Frame numbers not blown off (for racers) 4. No lost computers (rare, but painful occurrence) 5. No low garage entry worries 6. No idling hot exhaust against carbon wheel problems 7. No hitch rack bottoming out on uneven grass parking areas. As soon as I post this, I'll probably think of three more...

A used Element probably gets better fuel economy than most minivans/big SUV's of comparable vintage.
Old 03-18-16, 09:55 AM
ptempel

Bikes: 2007 Ridley Excalibur, 2003 Orbea Orca, 199? Cannondale Headshock MTB hardtail

Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
You could make just about any car work with only one bike. Would need a rack for the tiny ones. I'm currently using an old Audi A4. The split folding rear seat fits the entire bike sans front wheel easily. I guess you like the mini SUV type cars? Looked up the Toyota Venza and their website says 2015 will be the last model year for it: Toyota Venza is Discontinued . I would think about the primary use for the car. If its just a commuting car, then try to select something small and fuel efficient. Otherwise, if you want cargo space then I'd go for a wagon over an SUV or minivan.
Old 03-18-16, 10:04 AM
eric1971

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by FLvector
Removing the front wheel and attaching to a skewer mount takes about 30 seconds and is the most secure way to haul a bike in my opinion. Everyone has their own personal preference.

Not as secure as being inside the vehicle.
Old 03-18-16, 10:06 AM
ptempel

Bikes: 2007 Ridley Excalibur, 2003 Orbea Orca, 199? Cannondale Headshock MTB hardtail

Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by HardyWeinberg
Audi Avant, BMW Avant, Volvo, VW, Subaru, etc? Don't know about any american wagons with manual tranny. Saw an article about it here: https://www.cartalk.com/blogs/bestrid...vailable-today

Last edited by ptempel; 03-18-16 at 10:13 AM.
Old 03-18-16, 10:14 AM
Tycho Brahe 

Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 67 Posts
A meth head in California will definitely try to steal a bike from a bike rack, but probably less so if it was locked inside and they had to put the wheels back on. Perhaps having the back wheel off is a good deterrent!

I agree that the Outback might be a good fit, which is why I was surprised you singled it out as a "no". It is on my list, but I have no need for an AWD (I have seen snow only once in the past five years) and the 6 cylinder version only comes with the more expensive package.
Old 03-18-16, 11:13 AM
FLvector
Stand and Deliver

Bikes: Cannondale R1000, Giant TCR Advanced, Giant TCR Advanced SL

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My skewer mount locks, so removal would be very difficult without unlocking. You could add a cable lock to secure the rear wheel if that's a concern. Someone could smash your window and be off in 30 seconds. Also, once secured, the bike doesn't move during hard braking, turns or accelerations. In my previous vehicle (Highlander) the bike would move around more than I liked.
Old 03-18-16, 11:36 AM
hig4s

Bikes: Evil Insurgent, Giant Stance, Wife has Liv Cypress, son has Motobecane HT529

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I take the front wheels off and attach our bikes to skewer mounts INSIDE our Honda Element.
Old 03-18-16, 11:40 AM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,188 Times in 1,474 Posts
Read post 21. It takes 5 seconds at most to get inside any vehicle.
Old 03-18-16, 11:44 AM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 640 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 224 Posts
Originally Posted by Tycho Brahe
I use a roof rack

If I had the $$$ for that car, I would also have the money for something to transport my bike much more practically.
Old 03-18-16, 11:54 AM
redfooj
pluralis majestatis

Bikes: a DuhRosa

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by StanSeven
Read post 21. It takes 5 seconds at most to get inside any vehicle.
what if you have through-axle
or otherwise discs that need to be aligned :O
Old 03-18-16, 11:59 AM
Standalone 
The Drive Side is Within

Bikes: Road, Cargo, Tandem, Etc.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 28 Posts
I have had several Toyota Previas. They were amazing. Not sure what is out there now that can carry 4x8 sheets of plywood and drywall, 10' lumber, etc., and run for 300k+ miles...
Old 03-18-16, 12:03 PM
joeyduck

Bikes: 1997 Kona Hahana Race Light, 2010 Surly LHT(deceased), 1999 Rocky Mountain Turbo

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't own any carbon bikes, but my concern with a carbon bike on the roof or rear rack (I have always only used roof racks) lies with two things. ( @Looigi Is this the correct use of lie? This is an honest inquiry.)

1. Will rocks, sand, and other debris hitting the bike at highway speed damage the frame?
2. Are there any concerns with vibrations or oscillations of the fame when clamped into the rack?

These are the reasons I would suggest the inside a vehicle option. Yes, it is easy to smash and grab, but a thief will get something if they really want it; this is true for any item.

Some people are also forgetful and if they enter parking structures and forget the bike is on the roof that may be an issue.
Old 03-18-16, 12:18 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
OP here...

Originally Posted by topslop1
I've had motorcycles, phones, sunglasses, everything stolen from me at one point or another so I've made a new rule not to own anything that I couldn't replace in short order:

"Don't let yourself get attached to anything you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you feel the heat around the corner."

^applies to bicycles as well. For that reason alone I pulled a used decent road bike that I don't wipe down and obsess over.. I just ride it.

And finally, I don't really make any other stops or I'll park the car where I can see it from the inside of whatever building I'm at.
Sucks to have to live that way.

Strictly from a cycling standpoint, I think the Honda Element is the best vehicle.
I'm going to look at an Element too.

Originally Posted by RPK79
I purchased a Ford Flex last fall.
I hadn't thought of a Flex. It would take a lot to get me to buy another Ford. Ecoboost wouldn't hurt at all.

Originally Posted by hollywoodeskimo
I don't understand all this talk about buying trucks or mini vans or suvs just to move your one bike around.
Also have to move pine straw, lumber, bags of mulch, an occasional loveseat, Christmas tree, maybe some butterfly bushes in the spring, helping out at Church, trip to the gulf coast, etc. I'm looking for a hatchback or small SUV. The car won't be used for bikes exclusively.
Old 03-18-16, 12:24 PM
nycphotography
NYC

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1169 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 62 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
Sucks to have to live that way.

Also have to move pine straw, lumber, bags of mulch, an occasional loveseat, Christmas tree, maybe some butterfly bushes in the spring, helping out at Church, trip to the gulf coast, etc. I'm looking for a hatchback or small SUV. The car won't be used for bikes exclusively.
Sounds like you really NEED a minivan, but are hung up on the IDEA of being seen in one.

Once could argue that it sucks to have to live that way too IE, where you can't let yourself have what you need because of how it looks to other people.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.