Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Two bike repair schools anyone?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-04, 05:58 PM
Travelinguyrt

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Anyone familiar with either of the two bike repair schools? One in Oregon one in Colorado?

Approaching early retirement looking for an interest that I might be able to use on a round the globe trip
Old 11-11-04, 06:35 PM
montana_cyclist

Bikes: Holdsworth Record, Bianchi San Remo, DeSalvo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi, You should get many interesting replies to this question. Some folks think it is not necessary to attend a school. Many learn by reading and working on bicycles and indicate that bicycle mechanics is not rocket science. Some are mechanically minded and it comes easier for them than for others. I am one that is not mechanically minded and learns from hands on instruction. I live in a small town with one bicycle shop and did not have one of the Park schools readily available. Thus I attended the UBI beginning class in September 2003. I found it very useful. During winter 2003-2004 I purchased a frame and built up a new bicycle. I doubt I would have been able to do this without the instruction from UBI. I am also able to maintain my bicycles and make most repairs. I do not have experience with truing and building wheels, and I have not purchased the tools needed for head set installation. Hopefully, I will be able to get this training in the future. This may be more information than you wanted, but I hope it helps.

Marshall
Old 11-11-04, 08:41 PM

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by Travelinguyrt
Anyone familiar with either of the two bike repair schools? One in Oregon one in Colorado?

Approaching early retirement looking for an interest that I might be able to use on a round the globe trip

I don't know of either, but if the one in Colorado is associated with USA Cycling, go with that one. Once you get the license, you can work at any of the USA Cycling events, and that's a cool gig to have.

Koffee

Old 11-11-04, 08:52 PM
hi565
By-Tor...or the Snow Dog?

Bikes: Bianchi Cross Concept, Flyte Srs-3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
PARK TOOL SCHOOL. thats all i have to say
Old 11-11-04, 08:56 PM
cascade168
Klaatu barada nikto

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Here's the URLs for the two schools:

https://www.bikeschool.com/
https://www.bbinstitute.com/

Have a great trip and a wonderful retirement !
Old 11-11-04, 09:02 PM

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Man, go with Barnett... you just can't go wrong with them (bbinstitute.com).

Koffee

Old 11-12-04, 03:38 PM
powers2b
Listen to me

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Search the web for a local bike co-op. Most of them have maintenance courses and would love to have additional mechanics. You get the skills you need, plenty of bikes to practice on and you get to help the local biking community.
Enjoy
Old 11-14-04, 10:59 AM
Travelinguyrt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Out in Calif, LA, Santa Barbara, and the seemingly queen city, or maybe the king city of biking ,SF, Have seen more bikes in ONE afternoon when I rode across The bridge on Saturday than I see in a month in So. Fla.
ALMOST makes me desirerous about living here some day
Walked into a bike shop and folks actually started talking
Don't know If I could wear the latest fashionable gear but maybe it all helps to be seen
Went into an REI store and thought I had died and gone to heaven. Nearest one to where I now live is about 500 miles away.I wanted to buy 5 bikes on the spot, but didn't

LUST thy name is a shiny new bike