Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

so...this clipless thing.

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-09, 10:01 AM
nahh
on your left.

Bikes: Scott SUB 30, Backtrax MTB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I know this is the commuting forum, but i also know a lot of you all ride clipless.

So I'm going to take the leap into clipless pretty soon, but want to do so for less than $100, if possible.

I'm thinking about these shoes: https://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product..._200275_200384

and these pedals: https://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product..._200276_200435

Those seem to be reasonably priced entry-level SPD. The sizes are Euro, right? My size 11 Asics tell me i'm a size 45.

Do I buy cleats separately?

Sorry to sound so much like a newbie. I'm not, I do all my own wrenching, but I've just now decided to make the switch to clipless.

thanks in advance.
Old 04-19-09, 10:12 AM
JeffS
not a role model

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You don't want road shoes for commuting. Get mountain shoes so you can walk in them easily.

- cleats come with the pedals
- if possible, you should really make an attempt to try the shoes on somewhere. The inside shape is very different between brands, and since there's no give, a poor-fitting shoe can be painful. Sidi motorcycle boots were some of the most comfortable shoes I've ever worn, but Sidi bicycle shoes leave my feet in agony after only a couple of miles.
Old 04-19-09, 10:35 AM
JoebikerLa
Selfish bitter clinger.

Bikes: Surly 1x1 commuter, Specialized Epic, Litespeed Ultimate, Nishiki Sport, Trek zx6000, Fisher Sugar team issue, Surly Big Dummy, 1984 Trek 400, Trek 820, kabuki road bike.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1, you want an MTB shoe.

Look at these pedals. You want a clipless pedal that also has a bit of a platform in case you don't or don't want to clip in right away. Crank Bro's Candy's, Smart's or Mallets have a platform.

https://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product..._200276_200410

Any entry level MTB shoe will work and be flexible enough to walk comfortably in.
Old 04-19-09, 10:36 AM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 769 Post(s)
Liked 1,747 Times in 1,017 Posts
Check out the Time Alium pedals from Jenson . Nice an wide and very comfortable if you have a wide foot. Agree, get mountain or touring shoes. I use the Shimano M122 shoes and they have worked quite well for me.

Old 04-19-09, 10:37 AM
Jtgyk

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I just bought the Specialized Tahoe mountain shoes yesterday for $80.
I have a set of spd pedals that came with one of my used bikes but don't have any plans on going clipless for awhile.

The shoes are good for walking and I can't believe the difference that those stiff soles make for pedaling comfort on both my platform pedals and clips and straps.

I may have to get another pair in brown.

+1 on trying them on...I tried on several pairs (all the same size) of different brands. These were the ONLY ones of the bunch that fit.

My nice new Nashbar Touring Build AKA "The Flying Avocadooooooooo!"
1998(?) Trek 700 Multitrack
1995 Trek 1220 AKA "Jimi"
Older Non-suspension Specialized Hardrock
Old 04-19-09, 10:40 AM
daven1986

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
my commuting set up:

Shimano MT-40 shoes
Crank Bros Eggbeater pedals

I am VERY happy with this setup
Old 04-19-09, 11:02 AM
cooleric1234

Bikes: CAAD9-1, Windsor Cliff 29er

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1 on the SPD Mountain Shoes for commuting

Sette Element MTB Shoes
Shimano M520 Pedals
Old 04-19-09, 12:02 PM
Hot Potato

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Only buy shoes over the internet if you have already tried on that exact brand and model and know you like them, or you don't mind paying to send them back. Heck, just regular shoe shopping I reject more than half the ones I try on for hideous fit, cycling shoes add on another whole element. Locally, the specialized dealer caries the largest inventory, much of it Specialized brand, and although they are expensive, the Specialized shoes fit me well and are quality.

And commuting and clipless do go together, really well! But get the MTB spd shoes.
Old 04-19-09, 01:06 PM
MMACH 5
Cycle Dallas

Bikes: Dulcinea--2017 Kona Rove & a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts
If you buy the Nashbar brand of pedal, you'll lose some flexibility on purchasing replacement/additional cleats for it. Not all SPD pedals and cleats are interchangeable. I would recommend you go with a non-store brand of pedal and cleat. If you buy Shimano, Crank Bros, Look, etc, you can get replacement parts at any LBS, online retailer or ebay.

+1 on trying on whatever shoes you purchase.

--1 on MTB shoes being the only way to commute.
Keep a pair of shoes for work at your desk and you can wear whatever shoes you wish. After all, you're riding your bike to work, not walking. I use a touring pedal with SPD compatible road shoes. The cleats fit the Shimano pedals on my other bikes so I don't have to switch pedals around. My MTB shoes and my road shoes all have the same cleat, so I can wear whichever ones strike my fancy, without having to think about it.

edit: added link to pedal

Last edited by MMACH 5; 04-19-09 at 01:31 PM.
Old 04-19-09, 02:34 PM
Hot Potato

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I think the so called "campus" pedal is always worth mentioning. A regular pedal on one side, SPD on the other.
Old 04-19-09, 03:35 PM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Mountain shoes. Look on eBay for pedals, I find it's easy to find SPD Shimano pedals for $20 or so. I bought mine there for that much, and have been using them for 3+ years so far. I take them off sometimes for noodling around, but put them back on for longer rides.
Old 04-19-09, 03:38 PM
cyclefreaksix

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I picked these up at the local Performance store:
https://www.performancebike.com/shop/...egory_ID=10045

I've been very happy with them on my fixed gear commie bike. I spend alot of time out of the saddle and have never come unclipped unintentionally.

Double sided mtb spd is def the way to go for commuting.
Old 04-19-09, 04:23 PM
I_bRAD
Call me The Breeze

Bikes: 2004 Litespeed Siena, 1996 Litespeed Obed, 1992 Miele (unknown model), 1982 Meile Uno LS.

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
I'm not really sold on clipless for commuting. Last year I got a cheapo set of shoes so I didn't waste a $300 set of sidis on commuting and wasn't happy with them. This year I've just decided to leave the bmx platforms I ride through the winter on. I figure the amount of time I'd spend changing shoes twice a day is far more than the amount of time it would take me to swap out the pedals when I DO want to ride with clipless (like on a long tour or weekend ride)
Old 04-19-09, 04:24 PM
caelric
triathlete? roadie? MTB?

Bikes: Cannondale Slice One tri bike, Cannondale F300 Hardtail MTB, Bianchi Giro roadie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JeffS
You don't want road shoes for commuting.
Survey says: BZZZTTT! You, sir, are wrong.

I commute 16 miles each way, every day, on my road bike, in my road shoes, with Look Keo road pedals.

The correct answer is that he needs to assess his particular situation, and determine which shoes/pedals would be better. If his commute is like mine, then road shoes/pedals is the best choice. If there is a lot of walking in his commute, or lots of stop and go lights and traffic, then yes, MTB shoes/pedals would be a wiser choice. Or, if it is really extreme, then perhaps one of the double sided sets of pedals, with flats on one side, and MTB clips on the other.
Old 04-19-09, 05:02 PM
lil brown bat

Bikes: 1 road, 1 Urban Assault Vehicle

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by I_bRAD
I'm not really sold on clipless for commuting.
This is like those "get a rack and panniers" responses to people who ask for opinions on messenger bags.
Old 04-19-09, 05:21 PM
I_bRAD
Call me The Breeze

Bikes: 2004 Litespeed Siena, 1996 Litespeed Obed, 1992 Miele (unknown model), 1982 Meile Uno LS.

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by lil brown bat
This is like those "get a rack and panniers" responses to people who ask for opinions on messenger bags.
Yes it is. So if you'd like me to answer the original question, cheap shoes and pedals are are a great way to gain minimal extra efficiency while riding at a large convenience cost. You can get a pretty decent pair of regular shoes or boots for 100. 100 for shoes AND pedals? Not worth it IMO.
Old 04-19-09, 05:44 PM
jet-flashman
oldie

Bikes: '12 Surly Disc Trucker, '14 Surly Ogre

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use Shimano MT-21 shoes and find them very comfortable and easy to walk in. After a 30 mile ride on Kona flats yesterday I remembered why I switched to clipless I think I got the pedals and shoes for under $100 and they have lasted me three years so far. Worked for me.
Old 04-19-09, 05:47 PM
DoB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I personally need to walk about 200 meters and up a flight of stairs from where I park my bike to where I change into work clothes. That dictates mountain shoes for me, and probably for most commuters.

I'm currently running Shimano pedals and I have no complaints in ~4500 miles. I previously ran Crank Bro 'Candy' pedals and they were not up to the job. After 3000 miles they failed internally. It seemed like the bearings failed either due to wear or corrosion or both. My sense is that they are not really all weather pedals.
Old 04-19-09, 05:50 PM
caelric
triathlete? roadie? MTB?

Bikes: Cannondale Slice One tri bike, Cannondale F300 Hardtail MTB, Bianchi Giro roadie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DoB
I personally need to walk about 200 meters and up a flight of stairs from where I park my bike to where I change into work clothes. That dictates mountain shoes for me, and probably for most commuters.
Or cleat covers.
Old 04-19-09, 06:22 PM
DoB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by caelric
Or cleat covers.
Well, sure. If one is really committed to running road shoes there are ways to make them work.

For me, I ride the 12 miles to work and mountain shoes are perfectly adequate for that. Then I grab my panniers and walk up to my locker. I don't want to mess with gear to be able to walk.

If someone really, really loves running road shoes then the hassle is worth it. For me it isn't.
Old 04-19-09, 06:32 PM
Cyclaholic
CRIKEY!!!!!!!

Bikes: several

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1589 Post(s)
Liked 687 Times in 365 Posts
I've tried both road shoes and mtb shoes. The road shoes lasted all of 3 rides and were never worn again. Now I have mtb pedals on all my bikes including my road bike because ultimately I need to walk both before and after riding.

The OP should try both mtb and road shoes at the bike shop and see the difference in trying to walk in them, then try the clipping in thing and see how much easier mtb pedals are to clip into. Road shoes are fantastic if you have a team car, sponsors, and are getting paid to ride. If you're commuting to work or getting groceries they're a pain in the rear end.

Last edited by Cyclaholic; 04-19-09 at 06:35 PM.
Old 04-19-09, 06:33 PM
mishmashmusic
Vinyl Junkie

Bikes: Miele Gara, Schwinn Moab 2, Specialized Hardrock, various other bikes in disrepair

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've personally been using toe clips, just easier to deal with since I don't have to change shoes. Plus, you get the benefit of having your foot securely on the pedal, unlike platforms.

If you want to try clipless, it would probably be cheaper to go used, at least for the pedals/shoes if you can find them (you'll most likely need new cleats either way). Then, if you find you like it, you can always upgrade.
Old 04-19-09, 08:20 PM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Honestly, I have used SPDs for 3 years, and this spring I put my toe clips back on. Now, I'm sure there are plenty of time trial demons in the commuting ranks, but I'm not one of them. For ME, there's not really any significant difference between SPDs and toe clips. I can get in and out of either of them about the same, and they both feel identical to me when I'm pedaling.

I do have the SPDs back on right now, just as an experiment, but it really doesn't make much difference to me.

That said, I do like mountain shoes. The stiffer soles make pedaling more comfortable whether you're in clipless pedals or platforms (with or without toe clips).
Old 04-19-09, 09:10 PM
apricissimus 
L T X B O M P F A N S R

Bikes: Bianchi Volpe, Bianchi San Jose, Redline 925

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1641 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by I_bRAD
Yes it is. So if you'd like me to answer the original question, cheap shoes and pedals are are a great way to gain minimal extra efficiency while riding at a large convenience cost. You can get a pretty decent pair of regular shoes or boots for 100. 100 for shoes AND pedals? Not worth it IMO.
You're answering a question that wasn't asked.
Old 04-19-09, 09:15 PM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by DoB
Well, sure. If one is really committed to running road shoes there are ways to make them work.

For me, I ride the 12 miles to work and mountain shoes are perfectly adequate for that. Then I grab my panniers and walk up to my locker. I don't want to mess with gear to be able to walk.

If someone really, really loves running road shoes then the hassle is worth it. For me it isn't.
I have to agree. But as been stated before, it is up to the individual.

I the past I had Look cleats and have used everything from Sidis to Performance shoes. I started riding with Look pedals in the mid 80s, after years of toe clip use. I have then and still do appreciate the feel of good road shoes... however, for commuting, which may entail store stops, and walking into the office, and other WALKING moments, I really do prefer SPDs and a shoe that easily allows walking.

I still use Look pedals and compatible shoes when road riding, (and even touring), but commuting too often has a walking "component" that walkable shoes answer well.

As to campus pedals... I used those fairly recently for a few years... and I just didn't like having to "flip the pedals" when I wanted to clip in. These days I use an MTB style pedal... which still offers a wide platform for a quick take off, but is quite easy to clip into at any time and has clips on both sides, as well as having good float for comfort. The campus pedals I used had no float, and for any long distance, I would feel the stress in my knees.

But really, it is up to the rider and their style, and the distance they commute. If I were only commuting 3 miles, I might not even use clipless.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.