Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Close calls and the consequent reactions

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-16, 12:17 PM
jfowler85

Bikes: '93 911 Turbo 3.6

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Took a few weeks off of work during which I didn't get on the bike much at all. Back at work now and thus back on the bike. My small city is fairly bike friendly, I would gauge it about as good as Orange County, CA just without the nice weather, and in the years I've been cyclocommuting I have had maybe 1 honest close call and that was half my fault. The past two days back on the bike have yielded for me:

Yesterday a SUV-wielding suburbanite cut me off while I had the clear right-of-way - I was travelling straight and on the right-most side of a double line divided roadway and she was making a left turn into my lane from a stop sign. I watched her roll up to the stop; she looked my way, then looked straight ahead, blew the sign and gunned it to get in front of me. I had to hop over onto the white line to make room for her - when she straightened out I was at her passenger rear 1/4 panel and close enough to kick her car. We caught up at the next stop light, of course, and she had her window down so I engaged with intent to keep my cool. I asked her what in the world she was doing and she immediately proceeds to blame me for being on the road with cars...at that point I unwisely lost my cool and attempted to rip her a new a** hole. She was taken aback by my language - literally a sailor's dirty mouth per my time in the Navy. I rode off feeling like an a** hole myself but shrugged it off. Hopefully she doesn't take it out on the next cyclist.

This morning while commuting in I once again had the clear and obvious right of way going through an intersection with a full green. The opposite lane had a left-turner waiting at her green yield light, and she slowed to a stop, so I up shifted and stood on the pedals for hard acceleration per the nice hill waiting on the other side of the intersection. We were the only two in either lane and my kit is flamboyant red. After I was fully in the intersection and accelerating past 20mph this SUV-wielding college student decides to try and beat me through the intersection. It was a full green, there was no yellow/red to outrun. I puckered and braced for impact, taking pressure off the pedals for a dismount and ready to combat roll onto the ground as best I could - thankfully impact did not occur, she smashed her brake pedal at the last freakin second. She timidly completed her turn and afforded me the time to turn around and catch her. She stopped with warning lights on the road into which she turned and put her window down. She was terrified and the passenger was apologetic, I kept my cool and explained that she did not have the right-of-way and pleaded with her to be more careful in the future. She asked if I was hurt and I said no we're all good let's move along.

I don't really have a point to make that hasn't been said and more aptly and concisely by others. I felt much better leaving today's near-hit than yesterday; the two encounters happened so closely together that I can't help but juxtapose the two in memory and acutely recognize the disparity in my post-incident attitude. Today I did the right thing and utilized a teaching moment with a young driver which may impact her driving habits (probably not, but we can hope). The other idiot, conversely, may just hate cyclists that much more now which is disservice to other cyclists. Or maybe none of it matters at all and everyone is just going to continue to drive as if their time is obviously more important than the lives and limbs of others.

Last edited by jfowler85; 10-16-16 at 12:27 PM.
Old 10-16-16, 12:24 PM
making
Super Moderator

Bikes: Surly Crosscheck

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1542 Post(s)
Liked 868 Times in 521 Posts
I used to commute across Indianapolis, right through downtown. Sometimes I would go for weeks without so much as a far call, let alone a close one. One trip home one day I had 3 very close calls from just bazar events. I learned from each of them, all you can do is be careful and try not to let them get you with something you have already seen. One more thing, I think you have to be assertive on the road, but not aggressive. Sounds like you might be right at the line.
Originally Posted by jfowler85
Took a few weeks off of work during which I didn't get on the bike much at all. Back at work now and thus back on the bike. The small city I live in fairly bike friendly, I would gauge it about as good as Orange County, CA just without the nice weather, and in the years I've been cyclocommuting I have had maybe 1 honest close call and that was half my fault. The past two days back on the bike have yielded for me:

Yesterday a SUV-wielding suburbanite cut me off while I had the clear right-of-way - I was travelling straight and on the right-most side of a double line divided roadway and she was making a left turn into my lane from a stop sign. I watched roll up to the stop; she looked my way, then looked straight ahead, blew the sign and gunned it to get in front of me. I had to hop over onto the white line to make room for her - when she straightened out I was at her passenger rear 1/4 panel and close enough to kick her car. We caught up at the next stop light, of course, and she had her window down so I engaged with intent to keep my cool. I asked her what in the world she was doing and she immediately proceeds to blame me for being on the road with cars...at that point I unwisely lost my cool and attempted to rip her a new a** hole. She was taken aback by my language - literally a sailor's dirty mouth as I was in the Navy. I rode off feeling like an a* hole myself but shrugged it off. Hopefully she doesn't take it out on the next cyclist.

This morning while commuting in I once again had the clear and obvious right of way going through an intersection with a full green. The opposite lane had a left-turner waiting at her green yield light, and she slowed to a stop, so I up shifted and stood on the pedals for hard acceleration per the nice hill waiting on the other side of the intersection. We were the only two in either lane and my kit is flamboyant red. After I was fully in the intersection and accelerating past 20mph this SUV-wielding college student decides to start going to beat me through the intersection. It was a full green, there was no yellow/red to outrun. I puckered and braced for impact, taking pressure off the pedals for a dismount and ready to combat roll onto the ground as best I could - thankfully impact did not occur, she smashed her brake pedal at the last freakin second. She timidly completed her turn and afforded me the time to turn around and catch her. She stopped in road with warning lights on and put her window down. She was terrified and the passenger was apologetic, I kept my cool and explained that she did not have the right-of-way and pleaded with her to be more careful in the future. She asked if I was hurt and I said no we're all good.

I don't really have a point to make that hasn't been said and more aptly and concisely by others. I felt much better leaving today's near-hit than yesterday; the two encounters happened so closely together that I can't help but juxtapose the two in memory and acutely recognize the disparity in my post-incident attitude. Today I did the right thing and utilized a teaching moment with a young driver which may impact her driving habits (probably not, but we can hope). The other idiot, conversely, may just hate cyclists even that much more now which is disservice to other cyclists.
Old 10-16-16, 01:01 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Losing your cool might be cathartic but I don't believe that it ever ultimately leads to anything but acrimony and regrets.
Old 10-16-16, 01:16 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
Losing your cool might be cathartic but I don't believe that it ever ultimately leads to anything but acrimony and regrets.
I cussed out a guy at Costco yesterday who tried to tell me chemtrails were killing my (obviously just fine in the cart) 2yo. I lost my cool and the high ground and didn't feel good about it.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 10-16-16, 01:31 PM
Abe_Froman

Bikes: Marin Four Corners, 1960's Schwinn Racer in middle of restoration, mid 70s Motobecane Grand Touring, various other heaps.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 9347 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 51 Posts
It depends on the situation. I make a really strong effort to stay calm when someone makes an honest like making a left through the intersection in front of me...there are reasonable explanations like they were surprised by your speed.

Then there are other instances that I consider a half step away from attempted murder. People with sp little regard for others safety they think it's ok to blow by within inches of you while doing 20 over the speed limit, or flooring it at a light to make a right hand turn in front of you when they clearly see you moving into the intersection. Instances like these I'm thankful I've never had the opportunity to meet the person again at the next light because the bike lock would probably come out to abuse mirrors or something, it would escalate, and I would end up in trouble, regret my actions, or both.
Old 10-16-16, 03:41 PM
Hugh Morris

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Most recently an opposing left turner was waiting for the break in traffic, and though there was no break in traffic, when I was crossing the intersection he accelerated as if he was going to try to make the turn through me. He then braked abruptly (about a foot from hitting me), rolled down his window, and let out a hyena-esque laugh.

I was pissed but kept riding.

Too many of these to count though; so many unchecked right hooks, people hunting for parking abruptly pulling over without signal, oblivious uber drivers, drunk drivers, etc. Responses vary from profuse apology to imminent physical threat. Usually not worth the confrontation unless it's been made clear the driver is not hostile, then I'll just ask the driver to please be more cautious.
Old 10-16-16, 03:51 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18379 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
I usually don't engage.

I've had a few people say "sorry" when they cut me off. Hopefully they'll be looking the next time.

However, after a close call, I try to evaluate what I could have done to make my ride safer. Sometimes it is nothing. However, it might be to slow down when you're approaching a car coming towards you from the right, or to move left and prepare to brake.

Oh, and be careful passing cars on the right (and I suppose getting passed by cars).

Turn lanes can be tricky, and often means moving left and either taking a lane, or splitting lanes.

Anyway, take charge. Don't live life depending on others keeping you safe.
Old 10-16-16, 03:54 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18379 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
I cussed out a guy at Costco yesterday who tried to tell me chemtrails were killing my (obviously just fine in the cart) 2yo. I lost my cool and the high ground and didn't feel good about it.
Chemtrails?
You mean Jet Contrails?

If you don't like the conversation, just walk away.
Old 10-16-16, 03:58 PM
TenSpeedV2

Bikes: Felt TK2, Felt Z5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
I have lost my cool a few times recently when I feel like my life has been unnecessarily put in danger for whatever reason. Passing me on a two lane road crossing the double yellow to get to a blatantly red stop light just ahead. Passing me to immediately right hook me when you saw me. Passing me much too closely in MY lane on a multiple lane road that is completely empty.

If I can touch your vehicle with my arm as you pass me, you are way too close. People don't seem to understand that. A driver would never pass another vehicle that closely, yet here they are passing a completely unprotected person within inches. I will never understand that!
Old 10-16-16, 04:01 PM
Primal Pete

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I haven't had many close calls, but I actually had my first (very minor) crash this past Friday.

I was cutting through a shopping center on my way home from work. There are two lanes that go straight down a center aisle and have no stop signs. I was in the right-hand lane, with a car on my left going the same speed. A girl in an SUV was at a stop sign, to my right, perpendicular to the road I was on. She was waiting to make a left across our lanes to go the opposite way down this main strip.

She must have thought it was a 4-way stop, because when we were about to enter the intersection, she started to pull out directly in front of us. She saw that neither the car nor I was stopping, so she jumped on her brakes, looked at the car through her open window and said sorry. She stopped short of being in the way of the car, but she was right in front of me. I steered right, behind her, and grabbed my brakes, but my wheels locked up and I started to skid. I hit the curb and fell into the soft grass, my bike landing next to me.

Luckily both my bike and I were completely fine. When I got up, she had already driven away, so I just got back on and rode home. Strangely, I wasn't really that angry. The look on the girl's face made it seem like she was genuinely surprised and remorseful (she still could have stopped to see if I was alright).

I guess it really speaks to the importance of the driver's attitude in determining the fallout/reaction.
Old 10-16-16, 04:03 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
Chemtrails?
You mean Jet Contrails?
In his mind, yes. In my mind, with its substantial quantity of education and work experience in related fields, it really cheeses me that people can be such dopes. But if I told him that, he'd classify me as a conspirator. Some conversations are just destined to fail.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 10-16-16, 05:48 PM
jfowler85

Bikes: '93 911 Turbo 3.6

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Primal Pete
I haven't had many close calls, but I actually had my first (very minor) crash this past Friday.

I was cutting through a shopping center on my way home from work. There are two lanes that go straight down a center aisle and have no stop signs. I was in the right-hand lane, with a car on my left going the same speed. A girl in an SUV was at a stop sign, to my right, perpendicular to the road I was on. She was waiting to make a left across our lanes to go the opposite way down this main strip.

She must have thought it was a 4-way stop, because when we were about to enter the intersection, she started to pull out directly in front of us. She saw that neither the car nor I was stopping, so she jumped on her brakes, looked at the car through her open window and said sorry. She stopped short of being in the way of the car, but she was right in front of me. I steered right, behind her, and grabbed my brakes, but my wheels locked up and I started to skid. I hit the curb and fell into the soft grass, my bike landing next to me.

Luckily both my bike and I were completely fine. When I got up, she had already driven away, so I just got back on and rode home. Strangely, I wasn't really that angry. The look on the girl's face made it seem like she was genuinely surprised and remorseful (she still could have stopped to see if I was alright).

I guess it really speaks to the importance of the driver's attitude in determining the fallout/reaction.

I completely agree.
Old 10-16-16, 06:35 PM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I just don't even give a damn about after the moment has passed anymore. I feel about as motivated to yell at a stupid motorist as I would a rock that fell off a cliff and almost hit me. Getting upset at the rock is probably more productive. I just ride on. Maybe I'll get to post some video of the idiot's antics.
Old 10-16-16, 06:37 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Don't waste your time reciting the Highway Traffic Act to someone who doesn't care. Just tell him or her if there's a problem, call the police. Then move on.
Old 10-16-16, 06:41 PM
Abe_Froman

Bikes: Marin Four Corners, 1960's Schwinn Racer in middle of restoration, mid 70s Motobecane Grand Touring, various other heaps.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 9347 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 51 Posts
I don't get angry at stupid motorists...everyone makes mistakes, and I can be as oblivious as the worst drivers out there if we're being honest.

It's the ones putting my life in danger while laying on the horn, talking on the phone, eating an egg mcmuffin, and swearing at me just for being on the road, all at the same time, that really gets my blood boiling.
Old 10-16-16, 11:18 PM
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

Bikes: Heavy, with friction shifters

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 216 Times in 130 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
I usually don't engage.

I've had a few people say "sorry" when they cut me off. Hopefully they'll be looking the next time.

However, after a close call, I try to evaluate what I could have done to make my ride safer. Sometimes it is nothing. However, it might be to slow down when you're approaching a car coming towards you from the right, or to move left and prepare to brake.

Oh, and be careful passing cars on the right (and I suppose getting passed by cars).

Turn lanes can be tricky, and often means moving left and either taking a lane, or splitting lanes.

Anyway, take charge. Don't live life depending on others keeping you safe.
+1

I consider non-cautious drivers as rain - something bad that can't be changed or avoided. So try to adopt. If I get hit, it's ultimately my fault: didn't do enough to account for reckless drivers, I knew they are on the road, I chose to ride on the road.

Anyway, this video is very useful when it comes to cars pulling from left or right:

Old 10-17-16, 06:34 AM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 235 Posts
I've had situations where I do engage and ones where I do not. Invariably, though, the former does nothing but escalate the frustration and rage well after the incident, whereas in the latter the feeling dissipates minutes after and is almost forgotten at the end of the ride. Despite knowing this I still engage occasionally. I'll learn some day.
Old 10-17-16, 07:28 AM
locolobo13 

Bikes: Trek Mtn Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 2,646 Times in 952 Posts
I'm usually yelling loudly DURING the interaction. The phrase "scream like a girl" comes to mind. Sometimes the words are fowl sometimes not. I'm not really aware of what I'm saying. I'm trying to avoid the collision. If the driver wishes to talk to me after I'm more than willing to discuss the situation with him/her. Most of the time they never stop.
Old 10-17-16, 08:07 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,678 Times in 827 Posts
I try not to let unintentional close calls upset me. Having a helmet cam helps me deal with more intentional incidents as I feel if the incident is recorded it can be shared later. Haven't done that yet, and in two instances upon review I decided it wasn't as close sit felt at the time.
Old 10-17-16, 10:47 AM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
I gave up trying to get too involved years ago when I noticed the guy I was discussing things with had a pistol in a holster on his belt. He'd said he was a cop but didn't know the laws regarding safe/legal passing distances he'd wanted to violate, and I figured it wasn't worth continuing the discussion if it meant getting shot. Since then they've changed the laws to allow the paranoid to carry loaded weapons in public and I haven't had anything happen to me that made mad enough to try and discuss things in person with someone else who may feel like shooting instead of talking.
Old 10-17-16, 12:30 PM
jeremybrooks

Bikes: Surly Cross-check

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
Should have just stopped, looked him right in the eye, and then said into your wristwatch "Requesting priority containment, code Delta Bravo Foxtrot. This is not a drill, repeat not a drill. Standing by for extraction."
Old 10-17-16, 01:15 PM
allan6344

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Slaninar
+1

I consider non-cautious drivers as rain - something bad that can't be changed or avoided. So try to adopt. If I get hit, it's ultimately my fault: didn't do enough to account for reckless drivers, I knew they are on the road, I chose to ride on the road.

Anyway, this video is very useful when it comes to cars pulling from left or right:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqQBubilSXU

I've have been looking for that video. I could not remember where I had seen it.

When I have a close call, I usually try to review what I've could have done to avoid the encounter whether or not it was my fault and especially try not to get annoyed so I make a mistake later in the ride.
Old 10-17-16, 02:28 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7352 Post(s)
Liked 2,479 Times in 1,439 Posts
I try to let stuff roll off my back so I can forget about it as quickly as possible. Only a few bonehead moves deserve comment, and only on a few occasions do I get to address the bonehead. I find rehearsing my response helps. Rather than telling the person off, I tell them what I'd like them to do or not to do. I don't hold back on the anger in my voice, but I make my words polite. Something like, "Please don't do that!" or "Please look before you pull out!"

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 10-17-16, 05:16 PM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
I try to let stuff roll off my back so I can forget about it as quickly as possible. Only a few bonehead moves deserve comment, and only on a few occasions do I get to address the bonehead. I find rehearsing my response helps. Rather than telling the person off, I tell them what I'd like them to do or not to do. I don't hold back on the anger in my voice, but I make my words polite. Something like, "Please don't do that!" or "Please look before you pull out!"
I like "please pay attention". That usually works and if people think about what you said they can't get too mad at the words.
Old 10-17-16, 05:50 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7352 Post(s)
Liked 2,479 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by no motor?
I like "please pay attention". That usually works and if people think about what you said they can't get too mad at the words.
Very nice and succinct.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.