Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

100 test miles on '73 Paramount P13v2 repair so far....

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

100 test miles on '73 Paramount P13v2 repair so far....

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-23, 09:33 PM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Bikes: '79 Trek 938, '86 Jim Merz Allez SE, '90 Miyata 1000, '68 PX-10, '80 PXN-10, '73 Super Course, '87 Guerciotti, '83 Trek 600, '80 Huffy Le Grande

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1227 Post(s)
Liked 3,561 Times in 1,412 Posts
Originally Posted by 88ss
I am perfectly happy with the way this thread went,
Guys! This is the tell.

Adjust accordingly

Last edited by AdventureManCO; 10-09-23 at 10:04 PM.
Likes For AdventureManCO:
Old 10-09-23, 09:42 PM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Bikes: '79 Trek 938, '86 Jim Merz Allez SE, '90 Miyata 1000, '68 PX-10, '80 PXN-10, '73 Super Course, '87 Guerciotti, '83 Trek 600, '80 Huffy Le Grande

Right, if you do not know someone, then the right thing to do is make assumptions ??? I would not care if it were my best friend or closest family, if I had to sit and listen to them talk about something after they opened with "I am no expert" I would certainly interrupt them and stop them as soon as I could and tell them how they could do better, and they would thank me for it. It does not matter who posts what, you don't have to know them, you could do the right thing and comment about the subject at hand, it has nothing to do with who welded this or brazed that. If you research the subject and actually know what you are talking about then you will either not comment at all, or comment in a constructive way. I am perfectly happy with the way this thread went, I don't see any problem with it at all. If someone likes it great, if they don't then go find something else to do. I would because that is the sensible thing to do. You go spend time reading and making threads that you enjoy, and I will do the same, and you have no obligation to please me, and I have no obligation to please you or anyone else but myself. I have no idea what you are trying to do with your activities here and I don't care, it is your business not mine. I have my reasons for doing what I do and not only is it none of your business why I act, you can not assume to know why I do what I do any more than the neighbor's cat. Your assumption that you will see more of anything from me is just an unfounded assumption as I have never repaired a bicycle frame before and have no plans to do so again, it is not my business or hobby, riding is. If something keeps me from riding I fix the problem, and a frame break has only kept me from riding a bike twice since the 1960s, so neither you nor I are likely to live to see it happen again. Good luck in finding someone who needs help with something, I have all the help I need thank-you very much.
The bike goes great no-hands and handles like a champ. If you actually do any research on Schwinn frames you will see that the head tube and seat-tube angles are the same, so removing the same amount from each will not change any critical angles at all. Also since it is one of the tallest Paramount frames sold, if any Reynolds 531 frame would give a noticeable nice ride it would be this one, but it does not especially compared to a Columbus framed bike I have of the same size, it is far more harsh. But that is not surprising since 531 is ancient technology from the 1930s, and it has more snob appeal to offer than anything else. Personally I have no problem with it, I just refuse to make it into a god and worship it as many do, I don't need any gods thank-you very much. I will have 200 miles on it soon, as I ride enough, I did 160 miles last week alone and always get at least a hundred in, and I am going to really, really enjoy racking up the miles on this Paramount. You and your friends help make my riding much more enjoyable because as I rack up the miles on my bikes that do not suit your tastes, I get to watch you eat lots of crow, enjoy.........

Wrong.

Oh, and where's the bat signal for Vintage Schwinn when you really need him? We've never needed a 5-pager on 1970s Schwinn geometry more than this moment

Last edited by AdventureManCO; 10-09-23 at 10:13 PM.
Old 10-09-23, 09:53 PM
machinist42
mycocyclist

Bikes: 1964 Schwinn Paramount P-13 DeLuxe, 1964 Schwinn Sport Super Sport, 1972 Falcon San Remo, 1974 Maserati MT-1, 1974 Raleigh International, 1984 Lotus Odyssey, 198? Rossin Ghibli, 1990 LeMond Le Vanquer (sic), 1991 Specialized Allez Transition Pro, +

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 822 Times in 453 Posts
Schwinning Idea!

Originally Posted by AdventureManCO
Wrong.

Oh, and where's the bat signal for @Vintage Schwinn when you really need him? We've never needed a 5-pager on 1970s Schwinn geometry more than this moment
Thinking Fixed It For You? (Seem to recall a call out needs the "@" in front of the pull down pop up?)
Likes For machinist42:
Old 10-09-23, 10:04 PM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Originally Posted by machinist42
Thinking Fixed It For You? (Seem to recall a call out needs the "@" in front of the pull down pop up?)
Whoops! I must have erased that accidentally, as that symbol is what I used to have his name auto-appear as I was typing it. Thanks!

EDIT: When I edit that post, it shows his name username as being @'d, if that makes sense. Haven't seen him around much, always great info in his posts. Guys is like an encyclopedia!

Last edited by AdventureManCO; 10-09-23 at 10:15 PM.
Old 10-10-23, 05:01 AM
Milepost105 

Bikes: Vintage to Electric

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 17 Posts
There is a fair chance that either Pastor Bob or I would have admired this particular bike brand new at Pete’s Cycle when it was on the showroom floor in the mid to late 70’s. I was a kid with Paramount tastes on a sub-Varsity budget, Bob probably the same.

I doubt either one could have foreseen all this!

This is Pete’s probably in the 50’s, so earlier, but a fascinating photo.

Old 10-10-23, 07:25 AM
RB1-luvr
I don't know.

Bikes: '90 B'stone RB-1, '92 B'stone RB-2, '89 SuperGo Access Comp, '03 Access 69er, '23 Trek 520, '14 Ritchey Road Logic, '09 Kestrel Evoke, '08 Windsor Tourist, '17 Surly Wednesday, '89 Centurion Accordo, '15 CruX, '17 Ridley X-Night, '89 Marinoni

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 853 Times in 446 Posts
it's a good thing I do not possess the skills to make repairs like the OP did here, cuz if I did, my head would be so big it wouldn't fit in this forum, and my arm would need physical therapy from patting myself on the back.
Likes For RB1-luvr:
Old 10-10-23, 07:53 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,831 Times in 1,997 Posts
Originally Posted by Milepost105
There is a fair chance that either Pastor Bob or I would have admired this particular bike brand new at Pete’s Cycle when it was on the showroom floor in the mid to late 70’s. I was a kid with Paramount tastes on a sub-Varsity budget, Bob probably the same.

a classic example of a bike and lawnmower shop, with outboards!
Likes For repechage:
Old 10-10-23, 08:37 AM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Very cool. Reminds me a bit of Inky's Schwinn, in older area of San Diego, where I grew up for a few. The road bikes were past my time, but I do remember looking at some of the mid-to-late 90s Schwinn Predator BMX bikes. I remember their catalog and pouring through their bikes, and was so excited to check them out. There were all the old Apple Crate Stingrays and vintage bikes lining the top of the walls. I remember being disheartened by the little 'made in Taiwan' sticker at the bottom of the headtube, since I had previously had a USA-made Schwinn bmx (and before that, a [gasp] blue-collar Huffy bmx) and still had that 'good ol' American brand' thing still stuck in my head for Schwinn. I left that day bike-less, and a little more grown up about the way things worked in the world.

Despite all the strange lashing out in this thread, I still think the OP's project is cool and inventive. Yeah, I'd sleeve the steerer and shorten the seatstay caps, but I still admire the effort and work. I get the feeling that it's one of those things where if we were all to meet in person, it'd be no thing and we'd all get along and sing Kumbaya and such but alas, this is bikeforums, and it tends to just sort of bring out the excessive/eccentric in many of us, myself being a prime example

Old 10-10-23, 08:39 AM
Robvolz 

Bikes: several Eddy Merz (ride like Eddy, braze like Jim!)

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1087 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 665 Posts
88ss said, "A new benchmark for illiteracy"

I'm not illiterate. My parents were married!
Old 10-10-23, 08:39 AM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Originally Posted by repechage
a classic example of a bike and lawnmower shop, with outboards!
Heck, w/ some motorcycles to boot!

Old 10-10-23, 02:24 PM
sd5782 

Bikes: 1964 Huffy Sportsman, 1972 Fuji Newest, 1973 Schwinn Super Sport (3), 1982 Trek 412, 1983 Trek 700, 1989 Miyata 1000LT, 1991 Bianchi Boardwalk, plus others

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 583 Post(s)
Liked 700 Times in 395 Posts
Originally Posted by pastorbobnlnh
This thread--- makes me want to . So sad. Reminds me of the US Congress.
No one is perfect. We were all newbies at one time. I have not read this whole thread and don’t wish to. Pastorbob said it best. Don’t cast the first stone, or pile on or be part of a mob. Be civil even if others aren’t. Members lament the exit of Portland Jim, so while it may not be the same, lessons should be learned. Sorry, I had to say it.

Last edited by sd5782; 10-10-23 at 02:27 PM.
Likes For sd5782:
Old 10-10-23, 04:49 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 2,531 Times in 1,059 Posts
Originally Posted by sd5782
No one is perfect. We were all newbies at one time. I have not read this whole thread and don’t wish to. Pastorbob said it best. Don’t cast the first stone, or pile on or be part of a mob. Be civil even if others aren’t. Members lament the exit of Portland Jim, so while it may not be the same, lessons should be learned. Sorry, I had to say it.
. . . but likely won't be.

Not disagreeing with you, sd5782, and not absolving myself. Just commenting on human nature.
Old 10-10-23, 04:58 PM
88ss

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 118 Times in 55 Posts
Because of a sketchy forecast put 46 Schwinning miles on today, bike rode superbly.
Likes For 88ss:
Old 10-10-23, 06:56 PM
88ss

There is a fair chance that either Pastor Bob or I would have admired this particular bike brand new at Pete’s Cycle when it was on the showroom floor in the mid to late 70’s. I was a kid with Paramount tastes on a sub-Varsity budget, Bob probably the same.I doubt either one could have foreseen all this!This is Pete’s probably in the 50’s, so earlier, but a fascinating photo.
Thanks for the old photo. The bike is from 1973, so it was probably not sitting in the shop in the mid to late 70s.
Old 10-10-23, 07:36 PM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 2,197 Times in 963 Posts
Thanks for the old photo. The bike is from 1973, so it was probably not sitting in the shop in the mid to late 70s.
There's a chance I might have spotted your bike on one of my visits to Pete's Cycle. In 1973 I was in 9th and 10th grade. I rode my bike (a Sears Ted Williams 10-speed made by Puch) there regularly. Pete's was about 7 miles from my house. It would have been about 1973 that I bought my first leather saddle at Pete's. I don't recall it being a Brooks but guess it might have been a Wrights. The bike and saddle were stolen from my college dorm in late '76.

Last edited by pastorbobnlnh; 10-11-23 at 04:04 AM.
Likes For pastorbobnlnh:
Old 10-10-23, 08:01 PM
Milepost105 

I started visiting Pete’s the year there was a white Paramount in the Schwinn catalog. 1970. I, like Pastor Bob, rode my bike there…a used 15 speed French-made Astra, Huret down tube shifters, Normandy hubs with big wing nuts, Weinmann center pull brakes, frame was too small for me but it was what came my way and what I could afford. A Paramount was at that time an unobtainable dream.

Last edited by Milepost105; 10-10-23 at 08:10 PM. Reason: Revised
Likes For Milepost105:
Old 10-11-23, 04:41 AM
88ss

There's a chance I might have spotted your bike on one of my visits to Pete's Cycle. In 1973 I was in 9th and 10th grade. I rode my bike (a Sears Ted Williams 10-speed made by Puch) there regularly. Pete's was about 7 miles from my house. It would have been about 1973 that I bought my first leather saddle at Pete's. I don't recall it being a Brooks but guess it might have been a Wrights. The bike and saddle were stolen from my college dorm in late '76.
Thank-you bob and mile for the stories about your early road bikes, the Astra and Puch,

My first road bike in the 70s was a very cheap American made ten-speed my parents probably bought at some department store, all Schwinns were high-end to us let alone any European bicycle, but I had no idea that the cheap bike I got was any different from any other road bike available anywhere so it and it's 30+ pounds was hot stuff as far as I was concerned, especially after I took it all apart and put it back together one winter leaving off whatever I thought was not necessary, which surely made no difference at all but the mental game is important. Eventually I crashed it out of existence bending it up, and after high-school I did buy myself a used World Sport, which I gave away decades ago, but I still think any lugged frame Schwinn is as good a bike as anyone needs unless they are capable of finishing a pro race in the money. Sure, I have a late-model road bike now, but I still enjoy riding on and working on old bikes that fate puts in my path. It does not seem as though the bikes being sold today are even repairable in many ways, but will just be thrown in the trash with other old home-appliances as their frames etc. develop cracks. If I ever run across a high-end carbon-fiber road bike with a badly cracked frame, maybe I will fix it with some alloy-sheet and JB weld and put it up on internet forums so another dozen worry-warts can have a fit over it.
Likes For 88ss:
Old 10-11-23, 10:50 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11975 Post(s)
Liked 6,655 Times in 3,486 Posts
My first road bike in the 70s was a very cheap American made ten-speed my parents probably bought at some department store, all Schwinns were high-end to us let alone any European bicycle, but I had no idea that the cheap bike I got was any different from any other road bike available anywhere so it and it's 30+ pounds was hot stuff as far as I was concerned . . .
Same. In '76 I got my first bike, a Schwinn Continental, often referred to these days as a 'boat anchor'. I wanted a durable bike because in the 70s I lived in NYC where the streets were often in terrible condition. Regardless, I loved my first ever bike and rode it proudly for many years, reluctantly giving it up just one year ago because I was relocating.

Yes I know, the fork is bent. lol
Likes For BillyD:
Old 10-11-23, 04:56 PM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

I started visiting Pete’s the year there was a white Paramount in the Schwinn catalog. 1970. I, like Pastor Bob, rode my bike there…a used 15 speed French-made Astra, Huret down tube shifters, Normandy hubs with big wing nuts, Weinmann center pull brakes, frame was too small for me but it was what came my way and what I could afford. A Paramount was at that time an unobtainable dream.
Milepost, where in Harford County did you live? I grew up in Joppa, off MD 152/Mountain Road, between US 1 and US 40.

I'm guessing by your username that you might live near to the Mason Dixon line?

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Old 10-11-23, 05:13 PM
Milepost105 

Milepost, where in Harford County did you live? I grew up in Joppa, off MD 152/Mountain Road, between US 1 and US 40.

I'm guessing by your username that you might live near to the Mason Dixon line?
Hi Bob, on a dairy farm at Creswell, south of Churchville.

There is a flat straight stretch exactly one mile long there on Route 136. Try as I might I could never ride that on my Astra in under two minutes at age 16 in 1972….. I’m sure I can’t now 😀 I think the best I did was 2:15. And I have to admit it is ever so slightly downhill the direction I timed myself.

Last edited by Milepost105; 10-11-23 at 05:16 PM. Reason: Fixed
Old 10-11-23, 05:26 PM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Milepost105 We were basically neighbors! Only about a 9-mile ride between our homes. I didn't hit 16 until '74. I do see now that you are in VA.

Old 10-11-23, 08:25 PM
88ss

My $15 Campy Record wheelset. Early this summer I found a pair of Campy Record hubs at a local house sale for ten dollars. The rear hub was missing it's balls because it had a broke axle. I borrowed an axle from a scrap 6-speed Joytech rear hub and cut it off to suit the 10-speed rear dropout spacing and installed it with the Joytech balls and inner races, it worked great. Late in the summer I bought a complete Nashbar roadbike at a yard sale for $5 !!! It was a very small framed woman's bike that looked as though it had never been ridden, the front rim did not look like the brake pads had touched it more than one day. It was a 6-speed Shimano 600 equipped bike with a 6-speed Uniglide rear hub(yuck!). The Rims were very nice 700c with eyelets and near mint, so today I took them apart and swapped in the Campy Record front and rear hubs//skewers. Next when I get time I will get some used tires on this wheelset I have laying around and get it on the Paramount. Now the cost of this Paramount is up to $155 because I have $40 in the seat, which came on a "gravel" bike someone bought second-hand and replaced with a more comfortable one, they even dropped it off at my house so I did not even have to waste gas to go buy it. Next I really want to find a 175mm to 180mm Campy crank to go on the bike, as the junk crankset on it is shorter than I like and it has to go.

Likes For 88ss:
Old 10-11-23, 08:31 PM
88ss

By the way, very coincidentally, my old man was a Matchless dealer/racer back in the 50s/early 60s, selling the bikes to finance his running them on dirt-tracks. He never sold bicycles or anything else though. He did actually try to race a Schwinn Continental when he was in his 50s, yes it was a boat-anchor. I think it may still be hanging up in the rafters of the barn on the family homestead, I will have to take a look the next time I am out there.
Likes For 88ss:
Old 10-12-23, 06:56 AM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

88ss since you are not a fan of Uniglide cassettes, let me know if you want to make a trade for the hub and the cassette (whatever is left of it) for a freewheel to fit your Record rear hub.

Do you have a specific brand of crankset in 175mm (I'm certain I don't have any 180mm in the spares) in mind? Double or triple?

P.S. It's great to see this thread has gotten back on track!

Old 10-12-23, 07:23 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 2,296 Times in 1,283 Posts
You lost me when you “taunt “ folks who are at Starbucks to get coffee. These are folks who are probably in automobiles ….you are on a bicycle. The very place you decide to use for the photo op. Nice bike though , shame on the direction of the thread.

Last edited by Kabuki12; 10-12-23 at 09:33 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.