Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

"Proper" Repair Stand Use and Recs

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

"Proper" Repair Stand Use and Recs

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-23, 10:28 AM
Vintage_Cyclist

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 176 Posts
Had a Park PCS1 for many years, a bit wobbly and no height adjustment. It also had the earlier Park clamp, which was a heavy spring clamp that always made me nervous on the tubes.

Sold it on CL after getting a good deal on a Park PCS-10, which is very stable and has height adjustment. It also has a clamp that you screw down, with adjustable pressure on the tubes. Although all mycurrent bikes are steel, I wouldn't be concerned about using this clamp on other tubing.

Easy to home-brew a tool holder for it too.

Likes For Vintage_Cyclist:
Old 10-15-23, 11:21 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 2,296 Times in 1,283 Posts
I use a Topeak Prep stand Elite . I had built up quite a few rewards with Bike Tires Direct from all the tires I bought (when on sale) . It was around my birthday a year ago , maybe two , and they had a 25% off sale on this stand . It is very similar to the Feedback stand that my friend has and I just could not spend that kind of $$ on a work stand . I had been using a Spin Dr. Stand that was gifted to me. It worked ok but to do the BB maintenance , I had to lay the bike down on a carpet to get the non drive side cup out. My new stand is fully adjustable and super sturdy for just about any thing I want to do. I usually clamp on the seat post but sometime , for light work , I clamp on the top tube with a soft polishing cloth folded over and just a light clamp. I am tall but sometimes still use a rolling stool to sit while I work . This stand is fully height adjustable and can get the bike quite high in the air . The three legs splay out far enough to steady the stand while I work. The clamping jaw has a speed crank for opening and closing , real handy. I do recommend getting the Feedback handle bar holder.

Carrying bag comes with it and the handle bar holder is another $30

The stand in use

Last edited by Kabuki12; 10-15-23 at 11:32 AM.
Old 10-15-23, 11:43 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3514 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,776 Posts
Ideally, I would like to eventually get a Park PRS 3.3-1 stand. But until then, the Lidl Crivit stand seems a worthy stand-in (no pun intended). And at $29 bucks, definitely didn't break the bank. Both use a cam-style clamping device, which I vastly prefer to one that needs to be twisted to hold. They are adjustable, and you don't need to worry about a pre-set spring crushing a tube.

I cannot fathom why anyone would use the "rope from a rafter" (or tree) technique, except in an emergency. Bike stands are meant to stabilize a bike so it can be worked on; ropes aren’t very stable. Might as well work on the bike upside-down (which --personally--I would never do).

If at all possible, I always clamp at the seat post. My frame has an original Columbus decal, which I would not risk by clamping from the seat tube. All this talk about "balance" by clamping at the top tube is a little silly, considering the bike can be easily "balanced" clamped at the seat post. Of course, balancing this way will require that the bike be angled down by the front wheel. But this is fine, because then you don't need to use the silly "front wheel retaining devices" that some stands come with. There is zero reason for me to clamp the bike in a "level" position. I also use a rag. Some people feel comfortable just using the rubber jaws as-is.

I see the benefit in stability using the BB/Dropout clamps, as far as stability, and it seems some pro mechanics use them, but those are more cumbersome, in that you need to remove a wheel to use them.

Last edited by smd4; 10-15-23 at 12:52 PM.
Old 10-15-23, 11:45 AM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 2441 Post(s)
Liked 3,137 Times in 1,976 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
Park used to make an internal seat clamp for this purpose:

But a cheap steel post of the proper diameter would work just as well.
I have one of these. Never use it.
1987 Crest Cannondale, 1987 Basso Gap, 1992 Rossin Performance EL, 1990ish Van Tuyl, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 2003 Pinarello Surprise, 1990ish MBK Atlantique, 1987 Peugeot Competition, 1987 Nishiki Tri-A, 1981 Faggin, 1996 Cannondale M500, 1984 Mercian, 1982 AD SuperLeicht, 1985 Massi (model unknown), 1988 Daccordi Griffe , 1989 Fauxsin MTB, 1981 Ciocc Mockba, 1992 Bianchi Giro, 1977 Colnago Super

Old 10-15-23, 01:19 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4513 Post(s)
Liked 6,389 Times in 3,674 Posts
Originally Posted by jdawginsc
I have one of these. Never use it.
Really?

This can be a can o worms, one that should be addressed more IMO.

If we took more SP's out, cleaned and regreased them properly, there would be far fewer stuck/nightmare stories.

I try to take most of them out, strip, clean, half round file a bit and chamfer the top inner edge of the seat lug a touch and regrease.
Old 10-15-23, 01:21 PM
Andrew_G 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 66 Posts
I am also using the Tacx 3075 repair stand, which holds the frame by the fork tip (or dropouts) and the BB shell. However, it has been unavailable for quite a while now. Tacx was bought out by Garmin, and there is only one Tacx workstand shown on the Garmin website: https://www.garmin.com/en-US/c/bike-...sembly-stands/

The Ventura, CA distributor Albabici (home page: Albabici, distributor and agent for Fondriest, Bianchi Milano, BiciSupport, SCICON, Nalini, Selle SMP, Ursus, Forza, Tiso, Limar, Favaloro, Sapo and Hibros cycling products) has a good selection of Italian work stands made by BiciSupport: https://www.albabici.com/bicisupport...-stands-mp.htm

The BiciSupport BS76X is the closest to the Tacx, but the BS76X appears to hold the frame only by the fork tips and BB (i.e., no rear dropout support option). The rear DO support option is most useful when removing the fork to service the headset. The BS090X "B-Stand" looks like a better choice IMHO, since it can suppport either end of the frame.

Albabici used to have a web store, but that link has apparently gone dead. So, I think that Albabici has closed their web store and is only doing distribution to retailers. Per the dead link, the BS76X (previously 076) retailed for $250. The Pro team stand BS92 (was 092) and the Maxi Pro team BS093 (was 093) both retailed for $300. The Ventaglio BS120 (was 120) retailed for $400.

You can call or email Albabici and ask for a local retailer (or one which will ship to you) and also inquire about suggested retail prices. For reference, I've previously used Nonstop Ciclismo in Ventura, CA (https://nonstopciclismo.com) to buy Selle SMP saddles distributed by Albabici. I've also done special request orders with NSC, with excellent results.

I'm optimistic that NSC will work with you and Albabici to provide a workstand of your choice.

Andrew G.
Old 10-15-23, 01:49 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 2,308 Times in 1,118 Posts
The knob in the drawing of the Park tool looks like a better option to me than the handles on the photo. Those handles look like one could over-tighten the wedges as easily as an external clamp.

Old 10-15-23, 02:00 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 280 Post(s)
Quoted: 2198 Post(s)
Liked 4,613 Times in 1,765 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew_G
I am also using the Tacx 3075 repair stand, which holds the frame by the fork tip (or dropouts) and the BB shell. However, it has been unavailable for quite a while now. Tacx was bought out by Garmin, and there is only one Tacx workstand shown on the Garmin website: https://www.garmin.com/en-US/c/bike-...sembly-stands/

The Ventura, CA distributor Albabici (home page: Albabici, distributor and agent for Fondriest, Bianchi Milano, BiciSupport, SCICON, Nalini, Selle SMP, Ursus, Forza, Tiso, Limar, Favaloro, Sapo and Hibros cycling products) has a good selection of Italian work stands made by BiciSupport: https://www.albabici.com/bicisupport...-stands-mp.htm

The BiciSupport BS76X is the closest to the Tacx, but the BS76X appears to hold the frame only by the fork tips and BB (i.e., no rear dropout support option). The rear DO support option is most useful when removing the fork to service the headset. The BS090X "B-Stand" looks like a better choice IMHO, since it can suppport either end of the frame.

Albabici used to have a web store, but that link has apparently gone dead. So, I think that Albabici has closed their web store and is only doing distribution to retailers. Per the dead link, the BS76X (previously 076) retailed for $250. The Pro team stand BS92 (was 092) and the Maxi Pro team BS093 (was 093) both retailed for $300. The Ventaglio BS120 (was 120) retailed for $400.

You can call or email Albabici and ask for a local retailer (or one which will ship to you) and also inquire about suggested retail prices. For reference, I've previously used Nonstop Ciclismo in Ventura, CA (https://nonstopciclismo.com) to buy Selle SMP saddles distributed by Albabici. I've also done special request orders with NSC, with excellent results.

I'm optimistic that NSC will work with you and Albabici to provide a workstand of your choice.

Andrew G.
Thank you for the links. Wasn't aware of the BiciSupport offerings. If I'd be in the market for a new stand, I'd be interested in the BS100K:

Old 10-15-23, 03:51 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3591 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,935 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuck M
The knob in the drawing of the Park tool looks like a better option to me than the handles on the photo. Those handles look like one could over-tighten the wedges as easily as an external clamp.
The handles were my fix after the knob cracked. I haven't had a problem with overtightening, and the wedges are plastic, except for the threaded one at the bottom.
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 10-15-23, 06:36 PM
albrt 

Bikes: 1964(?) Frejus Tour de France, 1967(?) Dawes Double Blue, 1979 Trek 710, 1982 Claud Butler Dalesman, 1983 Schwinn Paramount Elite, 2014 Brompton, maybe a couple more

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked 679 Times in 331 Posts
I am really curious about the stands that hold the bike by the dropouts, without the wheels.

The main thing I need a stand for is to hold the bike off the ground so I can spin the wheels while I adjust gears, brakes, and other things such as fenders that might contact the spinning wheel. Of course I do lots of other things on the stand, but most of the things that do not involve spinning wheels could be done without a stand. So two questions for the people who use the dropout stands:

1. Are you doing a lot of painting, brazing, or other frame work that is better performed with wheels off?

2. How do you do the spinning wheel adjustments?
Old 10-15-23, 09:22 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,543 Posts
Best investment in tools is getting a good stand IMHO

after years of DIY and such got a park pc10......repeat best tool purchase ever

I don't like stands where the front wheel is off, too much stuff you can't do or have to fuss to do

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 10-15-23, 10:06 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6222 Post(s)
Liked 4,222 Times in 2,368 Posts
Originally Posted by nlerner
I like the Stein tool above, but I don’t like removing my seatpost or pulling it out longer to clamp it. Once it’s at the right height, I’d rather leave it be.

For the last few years, I’ve been using a Hirobel frame clamp: https://silca.cc/products/hirobel-clamp

i clamp it to my old Park stand. It won’t work for a mixte, but for most other frames, it does the job.
I’m sorry but that is just silly. Get a Sharpie and mark the post. Pull it out enough to clamp and then put it back. Easy peasy and far cheaper than a $65 tool.

I would also say that if you have less than 4” of post showing on a frame, the frame is too large for you.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 10-15-23, 10:13 PM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
Park used to make an internal seat clamp for this purpose:

But a cheap steel post of the proper diameter would work just as well.
I have one of those as well as an ISC-4 which I find a little bit better tool than the ISC-1. I don’t use either very often, however.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 10-15-23, 10:54 PM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by squirtdad
Best investment in tools is getting a good stand IMHO

after years of DIY and such got a park pc10......repeat best tool purchase ever

I don't like stands where the front wheel is off, too much stuff you can't do or have to fuss to do
I fully agree. I own a pre1996 Park PRS-6 (actually 2 of them) and a PCS-1. I also have a Bike Vise clamp that I use outside. My original PRS-6 I had modified long ago by adding a section of tubing to raise the height which was way too low in the original. I did replace the spring clamp with a 100-9C clamp

This one was a bit too high so I found another PRS-6 and cut the tube and added a a PCS-EXT extension and a second collar for the extension. Now I can adjust the height.

The PCS-1 is at my daughter’s house. I replaced the spring clamp on it with a 100-5C clamp and added PCS-EXT extension as well. Both clamps are far better than the spring clamps. The clamps are far easier to adjust and less likely to damage anything on the bike.

My outdoor clamp is something I picked up from the scrap at my local co-op. I mounted it to a couple of pieces of 2x4 and used carriage bolts to clamp it to the posts of my garage. I can move it up and down as needed and don’t have to drag out the larger repair stand. The only problem is that it won’t clamp a seat post much larger than 27.2mm.

I’ve never regretted buying any of the stands I have.

Old 10-16-23, 04:34 AM
Prowler 

Bikes: 2 Trek Mtn, Cannondale R600 road, 6 vintage road bikes

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 1,028 Times in 404 Posts
Originally Posted by rm -rf
Feedback Sports stands!
My Ultimate (now Feedback Sports) stand is at least 25 years old. It still works perfectly. It has the clutch clamp: slide the clamp shut until it makes contact with the tube. Then turn the knob to tighten--easy and controllable. A quarter turn counterclockwise releases the clutch, and I can slide it all the way open.
I like my old Ultimate unit too. FYI, if your pads are worn or hardened, you just take cut a length of mountain bike inner tube, a bit longer than the clamp pads, cut a slit “hole” down the center of one side then slip that over the clamp pad. Makes a good cover for the clamp. Improves grip and protects the paint. I like how easy it is to creep up on the clamping force, as needed, for the job at hand.
Likes For Prowler:
Old 10-16-23, 05:16 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3514 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,776 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
i would also say that if you have less than 4” of post showing on a frame, the frame is too large for you.
+1.
Old 10-16-23, 05:39 AM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 1,593 Times in 739 Posts
Good round up of stands, and includes some budget stands.
https://www.bicycling.com/bikes-gear...RoCfYAQAvD_BwE
Old 10-16-23, 11:30 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3591 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,935 Posts
I have one of those as well as an ISC-4 which I find a little bit better tool than the ISC-1. I don’t use either very often, however.
I got in the habit of using the ISC-1 when I was with Trek, and the bikes I worked on were recently painted and decalled. Damage to paint or decals meant stripping the frame and repainting. Fresh paint (less than a couple months old) is pretty soft, and even clamping on a non-decalled tube risks paint damage.
Old 10-16-23, 11:42 AM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3811 Post(s)
Liked 6,717 Times in 2,614 Posts
I’m sorry but that is just silly. Get a Sharpie and mark the post. Pull it out enough to clamp and then put it back. Easy peasy and far cheaper than a $65 tool.

I would also say that if you have less than 4” of post showing on a frame, the frame is too large for you.
Gosh, I love getting insulted by random strangers on the Internet!
Likes For nlerner:
Old 10-16-23, 12:18 PM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
Carbon fiber frames can be damaged by clamping onto the tubing to support the bike. A great solution is the Hirobel support bar sold by Silca. I use it with my Park Tools bike stand for my two 27 lb CF e-bikes. The Hirobel bar is clamped in the vise instead of the frame and then supports the frame at two points with the soft plastic knobs. Easy to adjust to different length top tubes.

https://silca.cc/collections/tools/p.../hirobel-clamp

Likes For Calsun:
Old 10-16-23, 12:37 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Originally Posted by albrt
I am really curious about the stands that hold the bike by the dropouts, without the wheels.

The main thing I need a stand for is to hold the bike off the ground so I can spin the wheels while I adjust gears, brakes, and other things such as fenders that might contact the spinning wheel. Of course I do lots of other things on the stand, but most of the things that do not involve spinning wheels could be done without a stand. So two questions for the people who use the dropout stands:

1. Are you doing a lot of painting, brazing, or other frame work that is better performed with wheels off?

2. How do you do the spinning wheel adjustments?

I do all of the disassembly, reassembly and adjusting on the old stand ...

... with the exception of the final adjustment of the front brake and front fender. For that I put the bike on the floor, with the rear wheel in a display stand. I got a bunch of these for cheap a few years back. Very useful:

Painting frames is one of the two things that I actually use a tube clamping stand for (and an old seatpost that fits snugly enough not to need a clamping bolt). In my case a BBB BTL-36:

However, its most important role is the other one: to help me weigh my bikes:

Old 10-16-23, 12:46 PM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 2,296 Times in 1,283 Posts
cyccommute, I have not had to move the seat post lately but that sharpie idea is good. I was using a piece of tape occasionally , didn't even think about a sharpie even though it is right there in my tool tray!
Old 10-16-23, 12:46 PM
Trav1s
Deraill this!

Bikes: 18 Cdale Quick 1, 94 S-Works M2, 98 730 Multitrak, and a few others

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 438 Times in 253 Posts
I picked up a gently used Park Tools PRS-15 on Facebook Marketplace two years ago for $120. It's heavy, strong, and indestructable - perfect for working on 80's and 90's mountain bikes as well as the new stuff. I was annoyed with the weight/size at first but quickly changed my mind. I clamp the seat post most of the time but am known to clamp the top bar on steel frame bikes. A good bike stand is priceless!

https://www.amazon.com/Park-Tool-PRS...rb_top?ie=UTF8
Old 10-16-23, 12:58 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

I'm with Neal on this one. Getting the saddle height just right is a matter of very small differences, and once it's right I don't want to have to redo it every time I put a bike on the stand. I'd happily make the $65 investment to avoid that.

Likes For non-fixie:
Old 10-16-23, 02:48 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2608 Post(s)
Liked 1,703 Times in 937 Posts
Originally Posted by Vintage_Cyclist
Sold it on CL after getting a good deal on a Park PCS-10, which is very stable and has height adjustment. It also has a clamp that you screw down, with adjustable pressure on the tubes. Although all mycurrent bikes are steel, I wouldn't be concerned about using this clamp on other tubing.

This is the one I got- picked it up off Craigslist for way less than I thought I could get a good stand for.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.