Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Any experience with Schwalbe studded 700c?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Any experience with Schwalbe studded 700c?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-17, 06:03 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Originally Posted by Abe_Froman
I actually have the same tires on order in 26”. I was wondering whether I should have gotten the 4 stud row variety... but realistically I don’t think I need anything so extreme. Most of my riding will be on paved and plowed streets with patchy sections of ice.
Amusingly, I received the 4-row tires. There may have been some confusion in the Amazon listing. On the other hand, I rode 2-row 26" Nokians for several seasons, and they were just fine on the conditions that you describe, similar to Madison.

The deal for me is that I might be over-equipped with the studs on most days, but I don't want to get into the mode of having to decide every morning whether it's OK to ride. And the weather can change drastically during the day in Madison, so I don't want to get stuck making the Phone Call of Shame if conditions turn evil during the day. The 2 row studs will get me home in practically any weather if I'm careful.
Old 11-12-17, 11:54 PM
when

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a pair.

The good news is that they make slipping much less likely.

The bad news is that they prevent you from going close to any speed where slipping would actually injure you. They are SLOOOOOWWWW... like my normal average commute is 17mph and with Marathon Winters on my average speed dropped to 14.5 mph.
Old 11-13-17, 08:44 AM
WiBoy 

Bikes: A red one

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I believe that almost any tyre with carbide studds are going to be fine. I wasn't able to get the set of Nokians I wanted, so the Kendas I bought work...
Old 11-14-17, 12:25 PM
carlos danger

Bikes: steel is real. and so is Ti...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 19 Posts
I got to test a bike with nokian w240 in 700x35 today and wow they rolled fast. I was on a 559x47 and it was like night and day.
Old 11-19-17, 09:36 AM
PennyTheDog
Fork and spoon operator

Bikes: 2013 Surly Crosscheck, 1990 Schwinn Impact, 1973 Schwinn Continental

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Thanks for the music clip; that was awesome! I've used Marathon Winters on two bikes, and they've been great. The studs don't wear down and the tires are super durable.

Originally Posted by 52telecaster
i have a 52 reissue that i play a lot. in this clip i am playing a 63 esquire....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcnYN7lLC-Y
Old 11-19-17, 11:13 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1956 Post(s)
Liked 3,662 Times in 1,680 Posts
Originally Posted by PennyTheDog
Thanks for the music clip; that was awesome! I've used Marathon Winters on two bikes, and they've been great. The studs don't wear down and the tires are super durable.
almost forgot i had that up there. i play with a bunch of different bands and make a grand total of about 50.00/week doing so! doesn't sound like much but in reality, .... it isn't.
Old 12-02-17, 09:19 PM
AstroEng
Roadkill

Bikes: Novara Verita, Novara Buzz, Radpower Radwagon

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by mcours2006
+1
Hate them...but love them.
+1

Sooooooo slow, but they work great! A little stiff to get on. I leave them on for the season on my heavier hybrid.
Old 12-03-17, 09:14 AM
PaulH

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 63 Posts
They are less durable than the Nokian Hakkapullita W106, but roll easier and are better with ruts.
Old 12-30-17, 07:06 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5227 Post(s)
Liked 3,596 Times in 2,350 Posts
mounted a new set using baby powder & that trick w the toe clip straps. I believe they really do help so I threw them in my trunk cuz anything that makes winter tire changing easier!

Last edited by rumrunn6; 01-01-18 at 02:25 PM.
Old 12-30-17, 07:22 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
I had to use a bead jack to mount mine. So far I've been out once in the snow, and the tires seem to ride well enough. Now for fenders.
Old 12-30-17, 08:33 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Originally Posted by Gresp15C
Now for fenders
those "longboards" with the really low back part of the front fender look awesome. even w my fenders I get snow buildup on my toes

Old 01-01-18, 01:01 PM
Capt_Sensible
Capt Sensible

Bikes: Kona Sutra, Cramerroti 650C

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
only time I had trouble mounting a set of Schwalbe Marathon Winter Studded 700x35, was last winter. I had bought an old used set from a guy on craigslist, who used them commuting for several years. they still had some life left in them even tho the studs were worn down & inside the tires was moldy. got a cpl rides out of them but then one day had 2 flats. 1st flat didn't think anything of it & didn't see anything out of the ordinary. so much for my checking skills ... 2 miles later got another flat. turned out to be a broken wire bead which poked the tubes. I had no way to snip the protruding end so I used a band aide & electrical tape to cover the end. it was very loose & hard to mount. didn't want to stay seated in the rim. I eventually got it but since it was getting dark & cold in that state forest, I hitched a ride back to my car. how the bead broke I don't know. was it me using levers to mount the tire? maybe the lever was right at where the ends get fused together? anyway, the new tires mounted up fine & I tossed the old ones. if I had any advice, be careful mounting them so as not to break the wire bead
I’ve twice experienced the same issue of broken bead wires on schwalbe marathon winters, leaving me stranded. On both occasions schwalbe replaced the tires but I wouldn’t buy another set of these again.
Old 01-01-18, 02:24 PM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by Capt_Sensible
I’ve twice experienced the same issue of broken bead wires on schwalbe marathon winters, leaving me stranded. On both occasions schwalbe replaced the tires but I wouldn’t buy another set of these again.
really?! wow! I just mounted up a new set & was super careful not to pressure them with tire levers when mounting them. used two toe straps to get them squished into the channel making them easier to mount. as long as I have those tires on my bike I'll keep those straps in my trunk

that broken wire was on a used set that were used 2 or 3 seasons by someone else so I don't know their history. I have 1 other set that I used w seasons & didn't have trouble with them. gonna stay optimistic for now

don't know why tires even need wire beads