Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Racing Question; Am I simply too Poor?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Racing Question; Am I simply too Poor?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-16, 05:44 AM
deapee
Ride On!

Bikes: Allez DSW SL Sprint | Fuji Cross

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
You can get a decent bike at your stated budget, with 105 components, a full carbon frame that fits you, brand new from a reputable dealership, a pair of shoes, clipless pedals, two bottle cages, two bottles, an under the saddle bag, a spare innertube, tire levers, mini bike pump, helmet, and a pair of riding shorts for $1500. Then if you're serious about it, in two years, you can upgrade your wheels for $2k and be on pretty much the lightest bike around.
Old 04-17-16, 05:45 AM
PepeM

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 59 Posts
Does your college have a cycling club? If they do, that's probably the cheapest way to start racing.
Old 04-17-16, 06:01 AM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
OP's goal is racing, but he has so much to learn and fitness to build, I don't think he needs to worry about the costs associated with actually participating in races for quite a while.

Right now cost really means the cost of the bike, pedals (perhaps), bottle cages, bottles, emergency tool kit, pump, shoes, shorts and jerseys, and helmet. The funny thing is that even that long list of all new stuff can be had for OP's declared budget during a sale at Performance. An aluminum, on-sale, 105 or Tiagra bike will easily be under $1,000 and plenty good enough for many years of moving up the Cat levels. With the Performance rebate and the extra $500+ OP can get all the rest of the stuff he needs. Entry level clothes and shoes, and helmet, and basic pump, tools, etc. With any luck he may get the cages and bottles thrown into the bike purchase for free.

Sure, used is another way to go, but if OP wants the surety and bling of new, it is not outside his declared $1,500 budget even for race-worthy stuff.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 04-17-16, 06:53 AM
gsa103

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito (Celeste, of course)

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 77 Posts
Many people race on bikes like a CAAD10 or CAAD12, with 105. https://www.rei.com/product/892480/c...-105-bike-2016

So you can find a competitive bike at around $1500 new, and even less used. Especially at lower levels you don't even want a $3k bike, since you're going to crash. At the highest levels of racing you're going to want a $3k-$8k bike, but that's a lot like any activity, where the equipment matters. Once you're competing at a high level there's discounts and other things to make it easier to buy the equipment you truly need.
Old 04-17-16, 07:21 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
Originally Posted by Sizzle-Chest
Bike racing is a rich man's sport. Yes, you can race on an inexpensive bike and if you have the fitness you'll do fine. But considering most cyclists believe it's necessary to spend exorbitant amounts of money on equipment, from wheels to socks, you might receive some raised eyebrows and a few negative comments. To be blunt, people might treat you like sh*t just for not wearing or riding the "right" stuff. I speak from experience racing and winning on inexpensive equipment and having people make all sorts of derogatory comments and assumptions about me, which I put up with because I enjoy the sport.
On the starting line, nobody cares what anyone else is riding. It's HOW they ride that matters.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 04-17-16, 07:26 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by pickycat
I want to race.
I've got a mate in my Chemistry class at my College who is CAT 3 and has a $7,000 bike or something gnarly like that (Gnarly for me at least)

He tells me $3000 is a reasonable price for a bike, clothes and shoes to START.

I'm a college student, I choked on my Goldfish crackers when I heard that number.

Just speculative thought. I'm interested in the sport of cycling, but have no clue what kind of reasonable investment should be made to get my foot in the door.
I'm just looking for some suggestions on "first-step" approaches to my situation.
What's your riding experience ?
Another reason for a budget bike, is that you may decide you don't like racing. It's not for everyone. Why spend big $$ on something you may not stick with ?

Old 04-17-16, 07:34 AM
Voodoo76
Blast from the Past

Bikes: Felt FR1, Ridley Excal, CAAD10, Trek 5500, Cannondale Slice

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 43 Posts
Any one of the CAAD's are excellent bikes. I could ride/afford pretty much anything and my current bike of choice is a CAAD10/Ultegra. Very well mannered bike, equal to it's very positive rep! 105 perfoms equal to Ultegra, I wouldn't hesitate to go with that groupset which gets you down to a pretty modest budget.

I would also second Homebrew's comment, at the line nobody really pays attention. As a matter of fact it's almost the reverse. If you want to be "that guy" be the new dude showing up with the $10K rig and geting shelled.
Old 04-17-16, 07:58 AM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 120 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan333SP
You can be perfectly competitive on a $400 used bike versus a bunch of $12,000 bikes, it just depends on your fitness and race tactics. There's a forum here dedicated to racing that has a lot of great advice for beginners. If you haven't even started riding road bikes, you should spend a few months doing that at least to learn how to ride safely before even thinking about racing or training..
Yep, any decent quality basic used road bike will be just fine to get started in road racing.
Join your local USAC affiliated cycle racing club to develop the necessary skills to race and get properly fitted.
Hardware is a Fashion in cycling, teammates are a great source for snapping up perfectly serviceable "obsolescent" stuff for "cheap".

Read this thread in the BF sub-forum "The 33"-Road Bike Racing" which is dedicated to the Sport:

https://www.bikeforums.net/33-road-bi...s-tip-two.html

It's Not about the Hardware, and Never has Been.

-Bandera
Old 04-17-16, 09:16 AM
Sizzle-Chest
The Brutally Handsome

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Homebrew01
On the finish line, nobody cares what anyone else is riding. It's HOW they rode that matters.
I fixed it for you. The starting line is where everyone is sizing each other up based on arbitrary factors, such as bikes and kit.
Old 04-17-16, 09:28 AM
longbeachgary

Bikes: Eddy Merckx San Remo 76, Eddy Merckx San Remo 76 - Black Silver and Red, Eddy Merckx Sallanches 64 (2); Eddy Merckx MXL;

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
If you want to race you're going to have to give up the Goldfish crackers....
Old 04-17-16, 09:51 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
College Loans in the USA will keep you Poor for a Long time.
Old 04-17-16, 09:54 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2640 Post(s)
Liked 3,153 Times in 1,660 Posts
I'm a cat 3 with expensive road bikes, and I started racing 10 years ago in college with a $300 steel bike with downtube shifters.

As long as you have something that rolls forward and can be configured to have an aggressive position, you'll be fine.

Have fun!
Old 04-17-16, 10:58 AM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3375 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by TMonk
I'm a cat 3 with expensive road bikes, and I started racing 10 years ago in college with a $300 steel bike with downtube shifters.

As long as you have something that rolls forward and can be configured to have an aggressive position, you'll be fine.

Have fun!
Then - many had steel bikes.

Folks are being very creative and helpful trying to get the OP into racing at $1,500. I've just never met anyone that can do that and really race - say 10-20 races a year. A college team is the best idea.

Kit ~ shoes, helmet, shorts, jersey ~ $300
Race fees 10 races ~ $350
Bike ~ $1,000
Club Fee ~ $50 (or more with jersey)
Travel ~ $
Training time ~ $$
Old 04-17-16, 12:02 PM
12strings

Bikes: 2015 Jamis Quest Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Doge
Bike ~ $1,000
Travel ~ $
Training time ~ $$
This is a good place to start. Bike could possibly get down to $500 for something used, or 7-800 for an entry level Cannondale CAAD 8, or Specialized Allez sport....either of which would be great race bikes for a beginner.
Old 04-17-16, 01:00 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
^^ then You need a Car & all those costs to get you and ,Your kit to the races..

Cycle touring .. Its not about going fast, Its about just going somewhere..
Old 04-17-16, 01:24 PM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

Bikes: Emonda SL6

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 5721 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by PepeM
Does your college have a cycling club? If they do, that's probably the cheapest way to start racing.
+1. Collegiate licenses are discounted, and entries/travel are usually covered by the school. You'll also have teammates that may give you hand me down kits and gear.
Old 04-17-16, 01:31 PM
spectastic
commu*ist spy

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
If you think you want to commit to the sport, I would definitely recommend the caad. Probably caad 10 considering Caad12 just came out and there the Caad10 should be discounted. If I could go back in time and advise myself on bike selection, it would be to get a Caad10 and hold on to it forever. Caad10 with 105 and open mould carbon wheels... best value racing rig ever..
Old 04-17-16, 01:42 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
If you're serious about wanting to race, visit the 33, lurk for awhile (esp in the training and tech threads), and if you have specific questions and are willing to listen, there is a lot to be gleaned there.
Old 04-17-16, 03:53 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Sizzle-Chest
I fixed it for you. The starting line is where everyone is sizing each other up based on arbitrary factors, such as bikes and kit.
Not really. Actual racers really don't care what equipment others use. And using equipment as any sort of guide is, well, misguided.

Old 04-17-16, 04:23 PM
scuzzo

Bikes: cannondale 2.0,caad3,schwinn Peleton,Felt F35,2007 litespeed Vortex

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 17 Posts
is he racing that 7K bike in crits? .. 7,000 dollar yard sale? you dont need that kinda coin for a race bike esp.. if you are cat 5,, you can cut your teeth with a good alum frame and 105 9speed.. just get a good fit. join a club get some close quarter pace stuff under your belt before you go out to race though.. there will be plenty of time for a high Zoot race machine after you get your cat1.. but right now ... its just not needed. good second hand race ready rig... 700 to $1000.. mho
Old 04-17-16, 05:08 PM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Then - many had steel bikes.

Folks are being very creative and helpful trying to get the OP into racing at $1,500. I've just never met anyone that can do that and really race - say 10-20 races a year. A college team is the best idea.

Bike ~ $1,000
Travel ~ $
Training time ~ $$
I don't understand the assumption OP is going to start racing the same day he buys the bike. He has to get ready to race and that could take a year or more. There is absolutely no reason to include race fees, club fees, and travel expenses in his budget for getting started. He has to have a bike, but he doesn't have to start racing a given number of events on day one. You and others are making this look out of reach when it isn't at all. Once he is riding, he can decide when he can afford to start racing and when he is physically ready.

Originally Posted by LAJ

Last edited by rpenmanparker; 04-17-16 at 05:14 PM.
Old 04-17-16, 05:11 PM
Sizzle-Chest
The Brutally Handsome

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Homebrew01
Not really. Actual racers really don't care what equipment others use. And using equipment as any sort of guide is, well, misguided.
Of course it's misguided. That's why I said it's arbitrary! But that doesn't mean it doesn't happen. In fact, in my experience it's quite common. Apparently, your experience has been different.
Old 04-17-16, 05:16 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3375 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
He's a college kid and I assume can parse the information needed out of that. But he may not have thought about race fees or the other things.

Simple answer is go to eBay and search and filter, do some group rides and see where he is. But the OP was about racing. Those other things come into play - including buying a license which I forgot to mention.

If OP does 2-3 races, that gives a flavor but is not really reflective of the cost of racing.
Old 04-17-16, 06:03 PM
macca33

Bikes: 2017 Ridley Noah SL - Candy Apple DA9000, 2011 CAAD10 Berzerker Ult6800, 2013 FOCUS Mares CX Ult6800

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Look for a local club and see whether they have classifieds, otherwise Ebay, etc, etc. All you really need to get started is a bike that is mechanically sound and in good condition - YOU will be the one doing ALL the work!

I'd also recommend finding some local bunch rides with a shop or a group prior to pinning on a number, that way you can get used to the bunch dynamic before racing.

Good luck with it.

cheers
Old 04-17-16, 06:07 PM
rpenmanparker 

He's a college kid and I assume can parse the information needed out of that. But he may not have thought about race fees or the other things.

Simple answer is go to eBay and search and filter, do some group rides and see where he is. But the OP was about racing. Those other things come into play - including buying a license which I forgot to mention.

If OP does 2-3 races, that gives a flavor but is not really reflective of the cost of racing.
After a while OP's funds will be replenished. Don't you think it will take some time for him to build strength and endurance in the saddle, to learn how to ride in a group, corner at speed, etc. IMO he can worry about race fees when he is ready to race...by which time I imagine the funds will be once again available.

Originally Posted by LAJ

Last edited by rpenmanparker; 04-17-16 at 06:46 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.