Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

What Recumbent is this?

Search
Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

What Recumbent is this?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-23, 10:15 AM
w98seeng

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What Recumbent is this?

The guy wants $400 (CDN) for this trike. I am 270m pounds and need a sturdy trike without suspension. This looks good, but I do not k now the brand so I can get some info on it.
It has a Shimano 3 speed hub and 20" wheels all round. That is all I know about the trike.
It says "Bilee T-7" on the frame, but nothing came up from a google search.
Any info I get would be appreciated.

Ian
Old 06-14-23, 10:09 PM
rollagain
Lopsided biped

Bikes: 2017 Day 6 Cyclone (the Buick); 2015 Simcoe Deluxe (the Xebec); Street Strider 3i (the not-a-bike); GreenSpeed Anura (the Black Swan)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 160 Times in 97 Posts
I'd run the other way.

Seriously; no front brakes ... the rear brake lever that looks dangerous to operate, if not near impossible ... an inch and a half of axle sticking out of each front wheel ... nightmare drivetrain ...

Put the $400 towards something else. Anything else.
Likes For rollagain:
Old 06-15-23, 05:17 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 878 Posts
Pass on that one.
Old 06-15-23, 05:17 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Looks like a homebuilt. I wouldn't trust it with my 220 lbs. Plus the seat bucket looks like it came off a kitchen chair. I'm not sure what kind of rear brake it has, but if it's rear brakes only, it'll skid easily but not stop well.

Last edited by BlazingPedals; 06-15-23 at 05:20 PM.
Old 06-16-23, 07:16 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 584 Times in 410 Posts
All of the above, your area may be different but bargains do pop up from time to time and patience is your key to a fine ride.
Old 06-16-23, 10:00 AM
Wilbur Bud

Bikes: Longbikes Slipstream

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 31 Posts
You can do a lot better for the money.

Try www.searchtempest.com searching on trike and any distance, click on whatever region is close to your ZIP, and then sort the price down to something like max of $500, usually some fast hits of more recognizable equipment
https://myrtlebeach.craigslist.org/b...629005471.html
https://greenville.craigslist.org/bi...631105697.html
https://norfolk.craigslist.org/bik/d...621639493.html OK, 2 wheels, but still
https://prescott.craigslist.org/bik/...625170646.html
https://tucson.craigslist.org/bik/d/...629140271.html
Old 06-16-23, 02:36 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

I don't fully understand the fascination with trikes when 2-wheelers are going cheap. You could easily find a quality brand name bent bike for $400. But then you'd have to learn how to ride it. That might take a few minutes. One unusual feature of that trike,, it looks like the chain runs internally in the boom, back to a point under the seat.
Old 06-17-23, 05:30 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2496 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 523 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
I don't fully understand the fascination with trikes when 2-wheelers are going cheap. You could easily find a quality brand name bent bike for $400. But then you'd have to learn how to ride it. That might take a few minutes. One unusual feature of that trike,, it looks like the chain runs internally in the boom, back to a point under the seat.
The disconnect is in the bolded. I've seen that you have the talent for the two wheel bents. Most of us aren't that gifted. I rode Saki quite a bit the first year (2017) I had her, but less and less each successive year and none during or since the Pandemic. I'd like to re-visit recumbent riding, but have no protected spaces (car free) nearby like I did in 2017. I had a number of falls and a couple of real hip busters just learning to ride Saki. I can count the falls from a regular bike on one hand in decades of riding. There are two wheel recumbents that are stable and easy to ride but almost to a one, they are heavier, slower, and much more expensive than a standard bicycle. The Highracer and Lowracer formats both (as you know) offer superior performance, but the lowracer requires much more balance talent because there is a much shorter window of correction available.

Trikes offer stability and poise, and can be decently fast. They are not for me either, but I get it. That trike in the o.p. is a disaster. There is no triangulation for the front 'forks' which is why brakes haven't been fitted. The designer didn't trust that a hard stop wouldn't compromise them. That internal chain in the boom must also be under incredible stress. I see no way to tension it and the torque transfer at the main chainwheel under the seat takes place without a standard coupling of known limits. But, ridden within its (considerable) limitations it would be less ... 'dangerous' than my highracer.
Old 06-18-23, 11:17 AM
w98seeng

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
But then you'd have to learn how to ride it. That might take a few minutes.
Well, I am 61. I don't know how much time I have left. I might just continue to ride my grandsons trike.

Thanks to all for the input. I will pass on it.

Ian
Old 06-27-23, 12:36 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,995 Times in 2,666 Posts
Originally Posted by w98seeng
Well, I am 61. I don't know how much time I have left. I might just continue to ride my grandsons trike.

Thanks to all for the input. I will pass on it.

Ian
Just as of note Robert Marchand was cycling up until 108 and died at 109. He started cycling again in 1978 so right around your current age. Don't give up and also don't buy whatever sort of thing that is.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 07-28-23, 02:12 PM
BlazingPedals

I used to offer test rides of my V-Rex in parking lots when I was on a tour. EVERYONE, bar none, was able to get going in one or two tries, and would subsequently do circles of the lot, smiling.
Old 10-24-23, 10:04 AM
squishy654

Bikes: Terratrike GT E-assist

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I wonder it it's DIY or homemade
Likes For squishy654: