Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Need new sturdy rim for gravel tandem

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-23, 02:11 PM
dstke

Bikes: Chinook custom road tandem, 2000 Litespeed, Santa Cruz SOLO C, Bontrager Race Lite, C'Dale 06 Mountain Tandem

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

Another follow up to a previous message, we just bent our Velocity Blunt 35 rim (after having two previous Blunt 35 rims crack at the nipple). I tried buying a DT Swiss HX531 but it appears that they no longer sell the 36 hole version in the US. Any alternative recommendations for a strong 36H rim for a tandem? We do a fair amount of gravel rides on our tandem including some rocky trails, although we were on a pretty smooth dirt road when we hit a rocky pothole and bent the current rim. Thanks for your advice and recommendations.

Doug
Old 08-21-23, 02:37 PM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 949 Times in 556 Posts
36 hole is so hard to find anymore.
you have this guy or the cliffhanger.
https://www.velocityusa.com/product/rims/nobs-622
Likes For fooferdoggie:
Old 08-21-23, 04:42 PM
dstke

Bikes: Chinook custom road tandem, 2000 Litespeed, Santa Cruz SOLO C, Bontrager Race Lite, C'Dale 06 Mountain Tandem

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Thanks. I went ahead and ordered the Cliffhanger. I hope it holds up better than the Blunt35
Old 08-21-23, 04:50 PM
TobyGadd

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by dstke
Thanks. I went ahead and ordered the Cliffhanger. I hope it holds up better than the Blunt35
I've got an extra wheelset with Cliffhangers on my MTB tandem, and they've been solid so far. It probably goes without saying, but the skill of the wheel-builder is also an important factor in wheel durability and longevity--so choose carefully.
Old 09-24-23, 09:17 PM
ksisler

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Suggest a well built 48 spoke wheel.

Hard to beat a good 48h wheel set for durability.

Originally Posted by dstke
Another follow up to a previous message, we just bent our Velocity Blunt 35 rim (after having two previous Blunt 35 rims crack at the nipple). I tried buying a DT Swiss HX531 but it appears that they no longer sell the 36 hole version in the US. Any alternative recommendations for a strong 36H rim for a tandem? We do a fair amount of gravel rides on our tandem including some rocky trails, although we were on a pretty smooth dirt road when we hit a rocky pothole and bent the current rim. Thanks for your advice and recommendations.

Doug
Old 09-24-23, 09:35 PM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 949 Times in 556 Posts
all the wheelsmiths have talked too have ben telling me with current rims the wheels are far stronger then they used to be. since there are few choices of getting hubs with more hone 32 holes its going to have to be. I need a 148 rear hub and there is nothing in 36 or up spokes. I went to the top wheel smith in portland for my 32 spoke cliffhanger wheel. He knows that rim well and we will see.
Old 09-25-23, 03:17 PM
Rick

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 399 Times in 276 Posts
If the Cliff hangers in 36 fail then the andra 40 by ride should be your next choice. If this descent work. You can always order in 48 spoked Phil Wood hubs and get the Cliff hangers in 48 holes
Old 09-26-23, 05:43 AM
scycheng

Bikes: Merlin Road, Rivendell Road, Arvon custom tandme, Hi-Light G-7

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
We have 48 holed Rhynolite rims laced to Philwoods cassette hub with Sapim single butted spokes. The PW hubs and Sapim spokes are definitely still available. Not so sure about the rim though. Very tough combination though not lightweight by any definition. Well suited for touring. Not for anyone who wants light fast wheels.
Likes For scycheng:
Old 09-26-23, 10:40 AM
Rick

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 399 Times in 276 Posts
We have 48 holed Rhynolite rims laced to Philwoods cassette hub with Sapim single butted spokes. The PW hubs and Sapim spokes are definitely still available. Not so sure about the rim though. Very tough combination though not lightweight by any definition. Well suited for touring. Not for anyone who wants light fast wheels.
​​​​​​​I purchased a Burley Bongo in 1991. The wheels were not strong enough. I purchased two sets of Phil Wood hubs and built with the 48 holed Rhyno Lite rims. The rims are still available. I still had cracked rims on several occasions. The Tandem and a couple of singles were our only transportation at the time. We hauled our three young children in a heavy two wheeled cart. If you rebuild your wheels I would go with the Velocity Cliff hangers. Those rims are stronger.
Old 09-27-23, 06:14 AM
scycheng

Bikes: Merlin Road, Rivendell Road, Arvon custom tandme, Hi-Light G-7

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Rick
​​​​​​​I purchased a Burley Bongo in 1991. The wheels were not strong enough. I purchased two sets of Phil Wood hubs and built with the 48 holed Rhyno Lite rims. The rims are still available. I still had cracked rims on several occasions. The Tandem and a couple of singles were our only transportation at the time. We hauled our three young children in a heavy two wheeled cart. If you rebuild your wheels I would go with the Velocity Cliff hangers. Those rims are stronger.
Our builder gave me a spare RhynoLite rim and spokes in case I need to rebuild the wheels one day. Fortunately, given these are 26" wheels, I won't likely need the spare ever. Knock on wood. :-)
Old 10-22-23, 08:53 PM
ksisler

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
36h, 40h, & 48h rims can be found on eBay & Amazon

36h, 40h, & 48h Rhyno rims can be found by searching on eBay & Amazon. Hope that helps.

Originally Posted by fooferdoggie
36 hole is so hard to find anymore.
you have this guy or the cliffhanger.
https://www.velocityusa.com/product/rims/nobs-622