Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Did you ever dream you would spend $1K to $10K + on a bike(s)?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-15, 01:38 PM
Stratocaster

Bikes: 2015 CAAD 10; 2016 Felt Z85

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

I was having breakfast with a friend and mentioned that I recently took up cycling as a hobby. He mentioned about the price of some bikes - "some cost $300 or $400!!!".

Um, yes...some cost waaaaaay more than that, too!

I bought a CAAD 10 as my first "real" road bike. Not cheap, but certainly not nearly as pricey as some bikes.

I never really seriously considered buying a bike that cost $3k, let alone $5k or $10K.

But...you know...once you get into it you start dreaming...then rationalizing...then saving...then consider spending a ton of loot. I'm not even talking about upgrades after a purchase.

At my station in life, spending over $3K on a bike just doesn't make much sense. I'll never be a top-notch racer...perhaps not even competitive locally.
Can I afford to spend that much? Well, maybe...but wifey wouldn't think so.

But like any hobby, you can get more and more "serious" and just dig into it.
Some of you probably started at a much younger age, and spending more cash gradually just became part of the gig.
Some of you have the cash, and it's not a big deal - good for you!

But think about it - THOUSANDS of dollars for bikes.

Don't get me wrong - I realize many people spend thousands of dollars on other hobbies, from classic cars to coin collecting.

I used to be in a few gigging bands (not full time). I've accumulated a good amount of gear, from guitars and amps to various other "necessities". I've since thinned the heard a bit. And although some were luxury purchases, many "big ticket" purchases were because I wanted something reliable, playable, and that sounded decent.

I don't want this to become an income debate or anything confrontational.
I was just thinking that you start riding a bike as a kid...such a simple and fun activity.
I guess it just struck me as odd that so much cash can be spent on bikes (and accessories).

Eh, just thinking "out loud" on the internet, I guess.
Old 11-25-15, 01:40 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
I've got a really nice road bike, not because I race (I don't) but because I love the way it handles.
Old 11-25-15, 01:43 PM
RPK79
Custom User Title

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix Pro & Quintana Roo Kilo

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2863 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 14 Posts
I'm perfectly fine spending that amount on a bike. My wife won't allow it though.
Old 11-25-15, 01:49 PM
thin_concrete
Achtung!

Bikes: 60.1, Marvel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked 268 Times in 161 Posts
I knew I was going to spend about $1K on a bike and that was my top end, but at my level and that I just entered the world of road cycling, I can't begin to justify spending the sums you mention. Maybe one day - a guy can dream, right?
Old 11-25-15, 01:49 PM
Seattle Forrest

Sounds like you guys are saying I need to ask Beth how much she'll allow me to spend on a bike before I consider marrying her.
Old 11-25-15, 01:50 PM
RJM
I'm doing it wrong.

Bikes: Rivendell Appaloosa, Rivendell Frank Jones Sr., Trek Fuel EX9, Kona Jake the Snake CR, Niner Sir9

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 9742 Post(s)
Liked 2,812 Times in 1,664 Posts
I don't want to die with money in the bank.
Old 11-25-15, 01:50 PM
Blackdays
Boom.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I chose which neighborhood to live in and decided against buying a car this year just so I could spend more on bikes/bike-stuff.

But I would never say that out loud to anyone in person.
Old 11-25-15, 01:52 PM
RJM
I'm doing it wrong.

Bikes: Rivendell Appaloosa, Rivendell Frank Jones Sr., Trek Fuel EX9, Kona Jake the Snake CR, Niner Sir9

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 9742 Post(s)
Liked 2,812 Times in 1,664 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
Sounds like you guys are saying I need to ask Beth how much she'll allow me to spend on a bike before I consider marrying her.
There are ways around this, and as a married man you will need to get creative and figure it out on you own but I will say this...0% 12 months same as cash financing deals are wonderful.
Old 11-25-15, 01:53 PM
Jarrett2

Bikes: Steel 1x's

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I do remember when I was riding cheap hybrids and looking at road bikes and thinking, "Damn, all these road bikes cost over $1000!"

Now about 5 road bikes in, I'd love to have one for just $1000
Old 11-25-15, 02:01 PM
dr_lha

Bikes: 2016 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross v5, 2015 Ritchey Road Logic, 1998 Specialized Rockhopper, 2017 Raleigh Grand Prix

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
I don't think you have to be a "top notch racer" to appreciate a good bike. The fact is, I spend many many hours of my life on my bike, so why not get a nice one? When you ride a century, you start to appreciate the fact that you're not riding a Wal-mart special.

That said, I don't own a $10K bike, but my current preferred ride cost more than $2k. I know people who have spent more than that on handbags*.

*Not my wife, in case you think I was alluding to that.
Old 11-25-15, 02:08 PM
Yendor72

Bikes: 2016 Trek Emonda SL, 2016 Framed Wolftrax

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
I wanted a quality bike and did enough reading to know what to expect. When I bought my road bike it was a bit over $1k. Recently though I talked to the wife about riding outside through the winter, another $1300 (ea) and we now both have fat bikes. I hate riding indoors, so lets not talk about our $700 stationary bike.
Old 11-25-15, 02:20 PM
GreenAnvil

Bikes: 2014 Fuji Roubaix 1.0 LE

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 19 Posts
I have a $1k bike (Fuji Roubaix), but I've upgraded the drive train (Ultegra 6800) and have two sets of wheels (Ultegra 6800s and Mavic Open Pros). Add the cost of my trainers (Qubo Elite and Kurt Kinetic RnR), the bike computer (Edge 520), power meter (Vector 2), kit, lights, etc... it quickly adds up.

I was lusting after carbon because road vibration was getting annoying, but after dropping the front tire pressure by 10 lbs all is well. So I think I'm all set for now.

Some of my co-workers that have asked me about cycling also get the impression the anything over $300 is way too expensive for a bike. Perhaps it is; depends on the individual. I justify my cycling hobby by thinking that it is better for me to invest in a healthy activity rather than giving my money to the doctors, which is what I was doing a few years back when I was doing nothing, 30 lbs. overweight and all stressed out because of work. At least now my bike motivates me to get out there and be active.
Old 11-25-15, 02:22 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
A lot of people who are amazed that we'd spend $1000 on a bike would easily spend that much on a set of golf clubs. Or skis. Or fly rods, waders, fly kit. Or camera and lenses.
Old 11-25-15, 02:25 PM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 249 Posts
Originally Posted by dr_lha
I don't think you have to be a "top notch racer" to appreciate a good bike. The fact is, I spend many many hours of my life on my bike, so why not get a nice one? When you ride a century, you start to appreciate the fact that you're not riding a Wal-mart special.

That said, I don't own a $10K bike, but my current preferred ride cost more than $2k. I know people who have spent more than that on handbags*.

*Not my wife, in case you think I was alluding to that.
Excellent point - consider some of the things people spend money on - clothes, TVs, cable, cameras, motorcycles, 2nd cars, cruises, computers, g*ns, hunting gear, tickets to baseball/football/basketball games, regular visits to your favorite restaurant/bar/coffee shop, memorabilia, cell phones, etc.

This year, I'll spend 350-400 hours on a bike, and that bike will make me happier, healthier, and (in some cases) offset other travel expenses (i.e. gas). There's no reason my bike shouldn't last several years with minimal maintenence expense and repairs. Doesn't seem to me like spending a few thousand dollars to get the bike I really want and enjoy riding is that outrageous of an expense.

FWIW, I'm a middle of the pack, maybe even a "lower notch racer", and yet I fully benefit from a nicer bike. It's not as if racers all ride Schwinn cruisers until they qualify for the TdF, then suddenly benefit from the latest wonderbike. Fast bikes are faster than slow bikes regardless of what level the rider starts from.

BB

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Last edited by bbbean; 11-25-15 at 02:30 PM.
Old 11-25-15, 02:26 PM

Bikes: 16 Haibike Sdruo Cross SM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
The margins on high end bikes is obscene. Its not as high as eyeglasses which are in their own universe for profit margins.
For 2 wheels nothing has as much value as modern motorcycles. They have barely budged with inflation compared to 10 years ago.
Old 11-25-15, 02:27 PM
mapeiboy

Bikes: Colnago EP with Campy chorus

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have always want to own a Colnago bike since I started cycling 30 years ago . I finally bought a Colnago EP frame years ago which costs $5000 . After I put all the campy parts on it the final bill comes close to $9000 .
Old 11-25-15, 02:29 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
$1000 easily, $10,000 might take a few more decades of inflation for me to get there
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 11-25-15, 02:30 PM
Seattle Forrest

Originally Posted by bbbean
This year, I'll spend 350-400 hours on a bike, and that bike will make me happier, healthier, and (in some cases) offset other travel expenses (i.e. gas). There's no reason my bike shouldn't last several years with minimal maintenence expense and repairs. Doesn't seem to me like spending a few thousand dollars to get the bike I really want and enjoy riding is that outrageous of an expense.
I did some back-of-a-napkin math (because a car accident means I have to replace my only bike) and the price of a new bike divided by the hours I'll ride it in a year makes it cheaper entertainment than going to the movies.
Old 11-25-15, 02:34 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
I think that you should get more funding leeway for hobbies established prior to the relationship.
Old 11-25-15, 02:38 PM
LastKraftWagen

Bikes: Burley Duet [of some unknown year] (the guinea pig); 2001 Ventana ECDM (the project); And always one less than I think I really need.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Just recently spent more than twice for a tandem, a used one, than I did for my first house. Boggles the mind!
Old 11-25-15, 02:43 PM
VwFix
RoadRash

Bikes: Santa Cruz Blur, Giordano Libero, Schwinn World Tour singel speed

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yep always knew I would spend a lot of money on bikes.

When I was sixteen I worked at a bike shop and bought my first real mountain bike "Santa Cruz Bullit" via a Pro Deal. Since than I have had to pay a lot more for each new bike.
Old 11-25-15, 03:01 PM
jimincalif

Bikes: '96 Trek 850, '08 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '18 Niner RLT RDO

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 83 Posts
My approach - I bought my wife a brand new bike that cost 2x as much as my Spec Roubaix that I bought used. So I've got points in the bank when I want to upgrade!

Got hers on sale but it was still close to $2K all in. Even though she's a fairly casual rider she could tell the difference braking and shifting the nicer bike. She's actually increased her riding to about 50 miles per week since we got it.
Old 11-25-15, 03:06 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
I think that you should get more funding leeway for hobbies established prior to the relationship.
Joking aside, I think you need to expect your priorities to change.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 11-25-15, 03:19 PM
thump55
I got 99 problems....

Location: Does anyone know where the love of God goes, when the waves turn the minutes to hours?
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I never thought I would spend $158.00 on a vet bill to fix a cat either. Marriage changes a man, and not always for the better.
Old 11-25-15, 03:21 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
Joking aside, I think you need to expect your priorities to change.
You changing your priorities is one thing, someone else changing your priorities for you is completely different.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.