Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

1987 Cinelli Commemorative "Tokyo 64" frames

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-23, 01:51 PM
rancho66 
Rancho66

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 11 Posts

Has anyone ever seen one of these frames/bikes in person? Not much on the internet besides this Velo-Retro Timeline:

"1987
Cinelli makes almost 300 commemorative frames with the original CINELLI decals, Columbus SL tubing and original Cinelli lugs with the three-hole cut outs (some with aluminum head badge). Antonio Columbo names these limited edition bikes "Tokyo '64" as the Japanese Olympic Committee had outfitted the entire Japanese track cycling team with Cinelli Pistas and tandem Pistas for the 1964 Tokyo Summer Olympics. The entire allotment of Tokyo '64 bikes is sold out within days at the year end Milan trade show. Most of the frames go to Germany, Japan, and U.S.A., and most are Cinelli Silver but a few are sprayed Cinelli Rose."

I would imagine that it would be virtually impossible to know unless the serial number was dated to 1987 but the frame looked like the older Cinelli frames and lugs. Maybe they came with a certificate of authenticity?
Old 03-12-23, 09:58 AM
Lattz

Bikes: 80s Alan Super Record, 79' Somec Special, 90s Rossin(?) Columbus Ego Triathlon, previously: Bianchi SBX Reparto Corse (stolen) and so on...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 813 Times in 602 Posts
Have you found this?
Cinelli Only: Cinelli "Tokyo 1964", Made in 1987/1988

looks like everybody is referring to the same text....
Old 03-12-23, 05:22 PM
Gary Fountain

Bikes: Colnago (82, 85, 89, 90, 91, 96, 03), 85 Cinelli, 90 Rossin, 83 Alan, 82 Bianchi, 78 Fountain, 2 x Pinarello, Malvern Star (37), Hillman (70's), 80's Beretto Lo-Pro Track, 80's Kenevans Lo-Pro, Columbus Max (95), DeGrandi (80's) Track.

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 200 Times in 124 Posts
Thanks for the link, I didn't know this bike existed.
Likes For Gary Fountain:
Old 03-13-23, 04:19 AM
rancho66 
Rancho66

Thanks for the link.
According to the for sale add, the bike was hanging in Milano Sport which was an authorized importer it seems. Makes sense that it was hanging there and that the write up had information that indicates that the place must have gotten one because of the importer status. "The entire allotment for the U.S. market of this model Cinelli was only 85 units and only two in this size, one each in rose and silver." is a pretty precise statement.
I can only imagine how many other commemorative edition bikes from other manufacturers were produced over the years that have been forgotten by the few in the know.
Old 03-13-23, 07:31 AM
darkmoon
Japan Tourism Bureau

Bikes: Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra Molteni 2005, Colnago Master X-light Mapei 2020

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 753 Times in 212 Posts
In Japan, I didn't know "Tokyo '64" at all.
I asked a friend/bike shop owner, he said:
Hmmm, I think I heard it, but don't remember details.

Japan's cycling market is small, much smaller than USA, imported "Tokyo '64" might be 30 at most, I think.

1964 Tokyo Olympic Cinelli, original, surprised and moved many Japan's cyclists, including Yoshi Konno, who would found 3Rensho.
I remember there were many Cinelli-copy road bikes when I started cycling in 1975.
Old 03-13-23, 08:51 AM
Lattz

Bikes: 80s Alan Super Record, 79' Somec Special, 90s Rossin(?) Columbus Ego Triathlon, previously: Bianchi SBX Reparto Corse (stolen) and so on...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 813 Times in 602 Posts
Originally Posted by darkmoon
In Japan, I didn't know "Tokyo '64" at all.
I asked a friend/bike shop owner, he said:
Hmmm, I think I heard it, but don't remember details.

Japan's cycling market is small, much smaller than USA, imported "Tokyo '64" might be 30 at most, I think.

1964 Tokyo Olympic Cinelli, original, surprised and moved many Japan's cyclists, including Yoshi Konno, who would found 3Rensho.
I remember there were many Cinelli-copy road bikes when I started cycling in 1975.
But Japan has one of the wildest shops and collectors of em all, no? (I mean in an absolute positive way)
Whenever I see Japanese things on the internet, many respect the domestic product and not without reason both JDM in the automotive/motorcycle and NJS in cycling have a cult with curious wannabees outside Japan.
But those Japanese people who appreciate the foreign things and can even afford the top shelf ones are usually going all out.. or am I wrong?
Are shops like the Corsa Corsa in Tokyo also rare over there?
Old 03-16-23, 06:03 AM
rancho66 
Rancho66

A little more to add to this Cinelli question:

"These Cinellis were imported by Corso distributors in New York. they were offered at the 1987 Milan Show and landed in 1988 and 1989. colors were silver and rose. Some were made by Giovanni Pelizzoli and some by Andra Pesenti. Since I sold my '64 Tokyo years ago I do not know the story with the serial numbers, but these were the only modern Cinellis made with the old style decals."
GREG HONN
MILANO SPORT

Out.