Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Stick With Non Aero Levers or Jump to Aeros?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-15, 01:41 PM
09box

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I have non aero levers on my bike currently and they are okay but my brake hoods have probably seen better days. I don't mind non aero levers but on the same hand have had aero levers in the past and liked those too. Which of the two should I go with? I know non aero would probably be cheaper since I could use the existing levers I have now. Do aero levers have any advantage at all besides not looking like a rat's nest with the cables?
Old 04-27-15, 01:44 PM
rgver

Bikes: 1 frame and a heap of pieces

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I believe they also have a little more pull strength
Old 04-27-15, 02:00 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,296 Times in 866 Posts
The early DiaCompe aero levers with the spherical-tipped ferrule seating often causes problems with the cable rubbing and cutting a groove in the ferrule from the ferrule tilting over. Braking feel suffers.

In general, traditional levers allow much greater radius bends, which lowers friction and reduces flex.

Traditional levers also leave the exiting cable vulnerable to getting sharply bent, usually from an unwitting owner resting the bike upside-down.
Again, braking feel and cable life are reduced.

Traditional levers are far superior when swapping bars and stems around. No re-wrapping of tape, and the cables/housings can be detached from the levers.

As far as power/leverage, I always get good performance with standard levers after I bend/relax the spring in the caliper. Most return springs are too stiff, too heavily pre-loaded, holding the caliper open with too much force. This of course compensates for poor cabling, which does not apply to my bikes.