Search
Notices
Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

La Vuelta Femina

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-24, 06:57 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Liked 3,691 Times in 1,943 Posts
La Vuelta Femina

... or whatever it is called ...

This has been superb bike racing.

I was out of town and missed the actual race so I am halfway through the replays, and it has been superb bike racing. Pelotons breaking in half due to crosswinds, long attacks, short late attacks .... all the stuff which makes potentially dull stages exciting and exciting stages outrageous.

I am not sure, but I think that the variety of skill levels at the women's pro level leads to teams with some stars and some much weaker riders (way faster than I have ever been, but ... )

In the men's peloton, even the "weak" riders are so highly tuned and trained---there is such a much larger pool of contenders, so every rider on every team is pretty phenomenal---but there are fewer woman riders so there is a wider range of talents ... which means that stuff which hardly ever happens in men's races can happen in women's races, like actually splitting the peloton, or surviving with long attacks or late attacks ... the stuff I have seen once or twice in the past two decades in the men's tour, is much more common in the women's tour.

Maybe my reasoning is wrong, I don't care. So far the Women's Vuelta has been very enjoyable.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 05-07-24, 06:06 AM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Liked 3,071 Times in 1,899 Posts
I agree. The level is uneven. But the stars are super athletes.
Old 05-07-24, 06:10 AM
Shadco 
Resident PIA

Bikes: Gunnar Roadie, Look 765 Optimum, Spesh Aethos

Liked 380 Times in 202 Posts
It was very enjoyable
I don't know where I am now...
05 Gunnar Roadie Chorus/Record
67'er
Likes For Shadco:
Old 05-07-24, 04:01 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Liked 645 Times in 392 Posts
I think it was stage 5 that I saw Vollering pulling away from the breakaway going up a mountain, and she wasn't even in her lowest gear. I probably couldn't walk up that mountain.

I agree with the analysis - wider range of skill - and with the conclusion - superb racing. I hope the race did well enough with fans to keep going.

Do you watch the interviews of the leaders after each stage? I found it jarring to hear DV say she wanted the leader's jersey because it's pretty. I think the team jersey looks better than the GC leader's. But comfort levels change over time....
Old 05-08-24, 12:41 PM
Steel Charlie

Liked 606 Times in 314 Posts
Yeah - not even using her lowest gear on that climb was just mean !

Great racing ! Loved it !
Old 05-09-24, 11:39 AM
HeyItsSara
Meet me at spin class!!!!

Bikes: Precor recumbant indoor bike, Stages bike at Equinox gym

Liked 81 Times in 59 Posts
#WatchTheFemme!!!!!