Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

What road bike do you have?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

What road bike do you have?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-06, 09:14 AM
DRLski

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rubber_souls
Here are my rides. The road bike (2005 Isaac Force) is actually FOR SALE. Anyone interested?

damn, nice pics for a newbie. good job. Why you would sell that piece of beauty though is beyond me.
Old 01-31-06, 08:23 PM
DonChuwish

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel
I just finished building this frameset. Still tuning it for early morning "rides o darkness".
Looks pretty nice! I've always wondered how good those framesets are - had it out for a maiden voyage yet? Love to read a ride report...
Nice work!
Old 01-31-06, 11:29 PM
rubber_souls

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DRLski
damn, nice pics for a newbie. good job. Why you would sell that piece of beauty though is beyond me.
new sponsor... new bike!
Old 02-01-06, 12:34 PM
Secret Squirrel

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by DonChuwish
Looks pretty nice! I've always wondered how good those framesets are - had it out for a maiden voyage yet? Love to read a ride report...
Nice work!
Basic review of the Scattante XRL frameset:

I purchased the 60 cm frameset at Supergo in Fountain Valley for $299.00 ( – 10% Team Performance). The Headset that came with it was of terrible quality and was replaced by a Cane creek IS6 (stainless bearings) which fit much better with less fork/frame gapping. The overall quality of the carbon and paint is very good. No seeds in the paint or bubbles in the carbon fiber resin. The carbon fiber to aluminum interface was clean with no gaps on the rear triangle. Basic evaluation of the frame symmetry was good. Even the replaceable dropout was fairly parallel. The seat tube was a good fit with a 27.2 mm seat post, but I needed more setback and opted for an Easton EC70 Carbon 27.2 mm (measured 27.16 mm= marginal fit). The brake mounting nut was tight fitting through the carbon stay bridge. Assembly was straight forward and I did not have any frame prep issues (Face or Chase). I compared the XLR frameset to the Scattante R-600 frame. The R-600 has the Easton “E” stamped into the downtube while the XRL does not. I don’t think the XRL uses Easton.

1st ride:
The aluminum triangle/ carbon seat stay combination seems to be very comfortable (good damping) I did not feel that the Easton seat post contributed much to the damping. I used an aluminum seatpost at first. Out of the saddle climbing was good with no real bottom bracket flex. I did notice that the fork was a little “springy” when I jumped on it climbing out of the saddle (note: I weigh 215 lbs). The front end was fairly neutral steering. I liked the way it climbed on short hills (blasters)

After about 300 miles:

I like this bike. The total weight as pictured is 20 lbs (with pedals, light, etc) I have been using it for 30-40 mile jaunts and the comfort is acceptable. I would say that the Scattante is a good multi-use frameset. I would not use it for any ride over 100 miles. I think the bike could use a carbon bar for longer distances.
I am still getting used to the paint and graphics, but it has been entertaining discussing the possible origins of the name “Scattante”.
Old 02-01-06, 02:00 PM
C4Byke
South Jersey

Bikes: Fuji SC Team, Trek STP 400, C-Dale F700, a myriad of old collectable, retired ELF BMXer

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There were a lot of fraud reports on ebay recently about people overseas trying to sell those Issac bikes, not meaning to rag on you rubber souls, but you are a newbie so I have to say it.
Old 02-01-06, 02:13 PM
xCherokeex

Bikes: Cannondale R900 '06

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My first road bike baby

The Cannondale R900 black

website
https://www.cannondale.com/bikes/06/C...del-6RR9D.html

check the attachment for the picture of mine

Last edited by MrCrassic; 09-13-08 at 10:15 PM.
Old 02-01-06, 02:52 PM
baj32161
Behind EVERYone!!!

Bikes: 2010 Specialized Tricross Comp 105 Double

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by xCherokeex
My first road bike baby

The Cannondale R900 black

website
https://www.cannondale.com/bikes/06/C...del-6RR9D.html

check the attachment for the picture of mine
I think you got way too much bike for your first roadie. I think you need to ship it to me until you gain more experience on an entry level bike

Congrats and enjoy!

Cheers,

Brian

― Bruce Lee
Old 02-05-06, 04:58 AM
MrEcke

Bikes: Setavento Ti Roadbike, Kona Jake The Snake CX, Surly Cross Check Fixed Commuter, Brompton folder

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here is my new bike, a Setavento Custom Ti frame! No chance for a test ride yet, as it is 20 cm of snow outside :-(

Old 02-06-06, 12:03 AM
MattC

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My New LOOK 565.

Old 02-07-06, 08:33 PM
nocondorfx
Mr.Schwinn F'in Armstrong

Bikes: tarmac pro, SJ HT 29er expert, Trek Xo2, atomlab trailpimp, cannondale f5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
just got my first road bike... giant composite tcr3
just ordered a trainer so i can start riding it (i live in ohio, and cant go under 50degrees)
ps.the pic is before it was fitted
and pps. before i get **** for it, the book is my moms

Old 02-07-06, 09:34 PM
ViperZ
Baby it's cold outside...

Bikes: Trek 5000, Rocky Mountain Wedge, GT Karakoram K2, Litespeed Tuscany

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thats a fine looking Giant! Damn I like the way their composite frames look in color, and in geometry. They just seem proportioned right to me.

Very nice!
Old 02-08-06, 04:06 AM
Apollo
Ottrott SE Rider

Bikes: Klein Qprocarbon, Lemond Tete de Course, Serotta Ottrott SE

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Very nice Giant!

~Apollo
Old 02-08-06, 06:25 AM
baj32161
Behind EVERYone!!!

Bikes: 2010 Specialized Tricross Comp 105 Double

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 29 Posts
I see alot of folks in here hatin' on Giant bikes. None of that from me here....beautiful bike nocondorfx. Enjoy it for many miles.

Cheers,

Brian

― Bruce Lee
Old 02-08-06, 10:56 AM
propp2531

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nocondorfx
just got my first road bike... giant composite tcr3
just ordered a trainer so i can start riding it (i live in ohio, and cant go under 50degrees)
ps.the pic is before it was fitted
and pps. before i get **** for it, the book is my moms

Clay Aiken?
Old 02-08-06, 02:40 PM
nocondorfx

Bikes: tarmac pro, SJ HT 29er expert, Trek Xo2, atomlab trailpimp, cannondale f5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanks for the comments guys! its my most expensive purchase(only 20) so its good to hear.

yes, a book written by clay aiken
Old 02-08-06, 02:48 PM
Mo'Phat
Scum, Freezebag!

Bikes: 2007 Leader 796R w/ 10sp DA and 2005 Jamis Dakar XLT FS MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I love how "your mom" has it standing up, like it's on display.

Caption: If you look really close at the picture of my Clay Aiken book, you can almost see a bicycle.
Old 02-08-06, 03:13 PM
nocondorfx

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
damnit! i knew i shoulda taken the extra 2 minutes to p-chop it out
Old 02-08-06, 08:50 PM
H1449-6
Former grouch, now happy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Landshark, as pictured. Vintage about 2000, or so I was told by the guy I bought it from.

Before that it was an RB-1, which replaced a 2.8 Cannondale, which replaced another RB-1, which replaced a Vitus (!), which replaced a 3.0 Cannondale.

The 'shark has full Dura-Ace, including the stem (gorgeous with internal clamp) and seatpost.

I also run an old-school Ciclomaster cyclecomputer, which was off the bike in this pic.

One of the best thing about the 'shark is the groovy paint job which features little skulls.

Old 02-09-06, 09:46 PM
llbr22

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2005 Wilier Mortirolo
2006 Wilier Izoard

(yes... loved the 1st one so much I bought another)
Old 02-10-06, 01:24 AM
12XU
Dismount Run Remount etc.

Bikes: A couple customs and some beaters.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DRLski
They definitely make solid frames, I had a R600 till I sold it for a better frame and now have a cannondale cross. They can definitely take a beating.
You're the only person I've ever seen touting the durability of a C'dale frame...
Old 02-10-06, 07:31 AM
Grasschopper
He drop me

Bikes: '03 Marin Mill Valley, '02 Eddy Merckx Corsa 0.1, '12 Giant Defy Advance, '20 Giant Revolt 1, '20 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 1, some random 6KU fixie

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Yes...yes you should have....well really the easiest thing would have been to not have purchased the book.
Old 02-10-06, 08:12 AM
Mo'Phat
Scum, Freezebag!

Bikes: 2007 Leader 796R w/ 10sp DA and 2005 Jamis Dakar XLT FS MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don't feel too bad. The guy's got a great singing FLAMER!!! I mean, voice.
Old 02-10-06, 05:31 PM
BitterSweet
OCP (Second Generation)

Bikes: 2008 Cannondale Capo, Cannondale Road Tandem, Carbon Fiber Road Bike.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2006 Motobecane Le Champion SL (black and red with REAL red handle bar tape and black and red tires)

just got it yesterday!!!! SOOO HAPPY
Old 02-11-06, 02:40 PM
kitch

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
frame is Columbus EM2 with Deda carbon tail, badged for Condors shop in London.
components change as I fancy, but it's full Dura Ace with an SRM chainset.
Bars, Stem, Seatpost all Deda carbon.
Mavic Cosmic Carbon wheels. Couldve lost a pound by changing to the tubular format, but i find tubs too impractical for general riding.

Old 02-11-06, 04:54 PM
razak

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey y'all ... I found a bike that inspired me to get back in the saddle after a 25-year hiatus. And to start riding around my neighborhood, and slowly branching out to riding to my appointments, jobs, across bridges ... I guess you could say at this relatively late stage of the game I am a "fledgling enthusiast". I've only begun to learn the names of the parts. Intend to become savvy and independent w/regard to maintenance/repairs. For now please bear with any displays of ignorance.

When I was a teenager I was jealous of my older sister's bike, and then all these years later found the Exact Same Bike at a thrift shop for $50. It's a Fuji Special Road Racer, prob. vintage 1972 or 73?? . White, double-butted [someone told me it's called that] (flawless welding w/black detail) and I think everything is original (almost, see below about the saddle).

I hv no idea re the current value of these bikes. Anyone? And how much they cost when new? (My sister seems to remember paying several hundred in 1973 or thereabouts, but a bike shop employee told me they sold for $125. I've seen a huge range in information in the web hits I've come up with, and still have no clue about the popularity/vintage appeal/$ value of my bike. On Fuji's own site the info led me to believe that these bikes were made in PA, but this bike says "Made In Japan" very clearly... is that a clue to it's vintage??

Condition Notes: Shame on me, when I bought the bike it was in "nearly mint" condition (was $50 a good price?), but I've let an unsheathed chain (now covered with an old tube) erode some paint, a few knicks here & there from general NYC harshness factors like doing 3 flights of stairs & jamming it into crowded racks etc. -- I guess/hope/rationalize that this makes it less desirable to thieves?). The center-pull brakes say Dia-Compe Drop Forge, crank says Maxy, drive train Sun Tour GT ("patent pending" on the little circular nut that attaches the derailleur). All parts look like some kind of alloy except the rims look like just steel (which a local guy said he thinks is "strange", as in incongruous ... were steel rims original?). Any detailed info about any of this would be so welcome, I feel like I wanna know All About My Old Bike.

When I bought the bike it looked like someone had ridden it twice and then left it in the garage for 30 years. Perfect except for cracked old tires that I replaced. What really kills me is that in my ignorance ("it's just an old bike, it seems to be the BMX/cross bikes and parts that disappear when they're chained up") I left it outside one night and in the morning the brown leather Belt saddle (it was in _perfect_ condition) was gone. I could not believe (after the pain of breaking in my butt to that saddle) that anyone would ever have wanted to take it. My Bad!!! I treated myself to a Selle Italia Flite Titanium saddle (twice as much as the bike cost, but I was really depressed and wanted to do right by the old Fuji, & have not been able to find a replacement Belt in anything but terrible condition).

That's that. My plan is to spend the next year learning my sh*t and building my strength. Then I hope to do the Montauk Century for my 50th birthday in 07, wish me luck cuz I'll need it!!!

[[probably most of this post should've been on the Vintage forum??]]

learning to really like the biking community. So, well, hi.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.