Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

mafac stiffener

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

mafac stiffener

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-23, 09:17 PM
uncle uncle

Bikes: too many

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 140 Posts
https://www.velo-pages.com/main.php?g2_itemId=25925

hmmm....
Old 03-07-23, 10:19 PM
Cynikal 
Team Beer

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 159 Times in 104 Posts
A threaded center hole would make a really nice dyno light mount.
Old 03-08-23, 12:45 AM
capnjonny 

Bikes: Miyata 610(66cm), GT Vantara Hybrid (64cm), Nishiki International (64cm), Peugeot rat rod (62 cm), Trek 800 Burning Man helicopter bike, Bob Jackson frame (to be restored?) plus a never ending stream of neglected waifs from the Bike exchange.

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 229 Posts
Originally Posted by tiger1964
If you are talking about the aftermarket kit that came in a poly-bag that boxed-in the calipers forward of the pivot bolts... I have ONE, not a complete set. What's your address, I'll send it to you! That said, I bought them in the early 1970's, so if there is a period-correct 1950's product -- I don't have a clue.
If you could do that it would be awsome. My address is 20221 Thelma Ave. Saratoga Ca. 95070

As far as I know all the Mafac breaks had the same basic dimensions except for the arm length. I have some heavy aluminum stock I can carve them out of. Anything you need?

My e mail is 143cabinets@att.net
Old 03-08-23, 06:18 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2422 Post(s)
Liked 4,396 Times in 2,093 Posts
Originally Posted by Cynikal
A threaded center hole would make a really nice dyno light mount.
Maybe if the plate had a mounting tab that rose above the arms and didn't foul the yoke, that' be possible.

However, given the 2.55mm thickness mentioned above (and the fact that there's barely enough clearance between the arms and the plate; none if the forward arm happens to be bent ever so slightly), that's barely enough thread for securely mounting anything on the Cupertino design.

-Kurt

Old 03-08-23, 07:31 AM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1453 Post(s)
Liked 2,196 Times in 963 Posts
I'm certainly enjoying this thread and look forward to seeing Kurt's results. BFers have shared some great ideas. Fantastic group collaboration.

But--- I'm wondering if I installed my Racers incorrectly on my recent Voyageur II build. They don't squeal a peep--- and I did nothing special to set them up.

What did I do wrong?

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Likes For pastorbobnlnh:
Old 03-08-23, 10:59 AM
tiger1964 

Bikes: Drysdale/Gitane/Zeus/Masi/Falcon/Palo Alto/Raleigh/Legnano

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 987 Post(s)
Liked 641 Times in 407 Posts
Originally Posted by capnjonny
If you could do that it would be awsome. My address is 20221 Thelma Ave. Saratoga Ca. 95070 As far as I know all the Mafac breaks had the same basic dimensions except for the arm length. I have some heavy aluminum stock I can carve them out of. Anything you need? My e mail is 143cabinets@att.net
I'll check the "brake parts" box of bits later; it's in there, I saw it earlier.

EDIT: Found it! Gee, it's not the most beautifully engineered product -- I'd presume it could be improved. OK, now to visit the #*%&# post office.

Last edited by tiger1964; 03-08-23 at 03:33 PM. Reason: FOUND
Old 03-08-23, 12:06 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,831 Times in 1,997 Posts
Originally Posted by pastorbobnlnh
I'm certainly enjoying this thread and look forward to seeing Kurt's results. BFers have shared some great ideas. Fantastic group collaboration.

But--- I'm wondering if I installed my Racers incorrectly on my recent Voyageur II build. They don't squeal a peep--- and I did nothing special to set them up.

What did I do wrong?
orange pads
Likes For repechage:
Old 03-08-23, 01:21 PM
Reynolds 531 

Bikes: a few that I can't recall

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 302 Times in 147 Posts

What did I do wrong?
BMX cable crimp
Likes For Reynolds 531:
Old 03-08-23, 03:42 PM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1181 Post(s)
Liked 2,576 Times in 1,076 Posts
I'm wondering if I installed my Racers incorrectly on my recent Voyageur II build. They don't squeal a peep--- and I did nothing special to set them up.
Congrats, well done!

I can see some toe-in on the one pad visible in the pic. Since they don't squeal, I'm going to risk a possibly invalid assumption that the other pad is toed in too.

I've had Campy brakes that always squealed, and Mafacs that never did, so the idea that Mafac is somehow uniquely associated with squeal is bogus.

Good pads, clean rims and a little toe-in is usually tolerably quiet. One problem is if the toe-in goes away when you apply the brakes hard, from slop in the pivots and/or flex in the caliper. So brakes that are quiet at first start to howl when you apply them harder. This can be helped by brass bushings, a booster plate, brazed-on pivots, anything that helps keep the toe-in from going bye-bye.

Or, keep the squeal as a horn, can be helpful in traffic. (kidding, I almost always hate squeal and I don't miss it on brakes that don't)

Mark B
Likes For bulgie:
Old 03-08-23, 06:12 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

What did I do wrong?
I suspect that the soft compound helps maintain more consistent friction than the old pads, thus avoiding the harmonics of the arms (and thus the pads) fluttering.

But I'm not a structural engineer, so this is entirely a guess. But it would be interesting to throw some original Mafac pads on there without affecting the toe-in.

-Kurt

Likes For cudak888:
Old 03-08-23, 07:21 PM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1143 Post(s)
Liked 1,753 Times in 966 Posts
Can one butcher up an old set for bracket, and mount that as a faceplate on the good set? I think people were doing that for the diacomp cp

I always thought they were some of the best brakes of the time as is, if you can improve that's great.
Old 03-08-23, 09:20 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
Originally Posted by mhespenheide
Would these be roughly the same dimension for cantilever brakes from the 90's, such that you could use the add-on aftermarket bridges that were designed to stiffen suspension forks on mountain bikes?
Canti bosses are located wherever the framebuilder decided to put them. There might be a sacred distance but there are a lot of atheist builders. That bridge also needs to clear the tire if you choose to go over, lessening the stiffening effect a lot. Under the rim is a nice clean short span but spoke interference might get a little old. (But it can be your best stopping wall hanger.)

Edit: To the topic - I've got two winter/rain/city bikes with Mafac RACER front brakes and a bunch of 1/4" 6061 aluminum plate lying around. I could just go to Ace Hardware, find bolts 1/4" longer, drill, cut and shape. And for those hole centers - I wonder if I could just shorten a nail and find the right sleeve where it would sit centered in the boss. Drill one side, put on, tap down onto the nail and now other side is ready to drill! Or I could just look at that table on the previous page, set my calipers to that measure the brakes. Sounds way less interesting.

(These bikes have Weinmann centerpull rears for more stiffness, less power. Front and rear feel identical and panic stops are incredible! But rain and lack of attention means that the lever hitting the bars can be an issue. This bridge would help that.)

Last edited by 79pmooney; 03-08-23 at 09:35 PM.
Old 03-08-23, 09:43 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Originally Posted by Mr. 66
Can one butcher up an old set for bracket, and mount that as a faceplate on the good set? I think people were doing that for the diacomp cp

I always thought they were some of the best brakes of the time as is, if you can improve that's great.
In my mind, feasible IFyou can remove the bosses. IF you have to drill them out, it might be tricky to keep the drill bit from wandering from the presumably harder boss into the softer aluminum. Or, thinking as he types so wear your helmet as you read... drill with a bit just clearing the bolt size down through boss, using it as your centering device. Go clear through. Cut and file the boss flush on the outside (front). I'd only attempt this with a drill press but then I've got one and my hand drill skills are so-so.
Old 03-09-23, 06:29 AM
top506
Death fork? Naaaah!!

Bikes: Seriously downsizing.

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 282 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. 66

I did this many moons ago on a set of Weinnmanns:

Didn't seem to make much difference.

(looking for a picture and not seeing it? Thank the Photobucket fiasco.PM me and I'll link it up.)
Old 03-09-23, 08:14 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Originally Posted by bulgie
Congrats, well done!

I can see some toe-in on the one pad visible in the pic. Since they don't squeal, I'm going to risk a possibly invalid assumption that the other pad is toed in too.

I've had Campy brakes that always squealed, and Mafacs that never did, so the idea that Mafac is somehow uniquely associated with squeal is bogus.

Good pads, clean rims and a little toe-in is usually tolerably quiet. One problem is if the toe-in goes away when you apply the brakes hard, from slop in the pivots and/or flex in the caliper. So brakes that are quiet at first start to howl when you apply them harder. This can be helped by brass bushings, a booster plate, brazed-on pivots, anything that helps keep the toe-in from going bye-bye.

Or, keep the squeal as a horn, can be helpful in traffic. (kidding, I almost always hate squeal and I don't miss it on brakes that don't)

Mark B
As well, toeing-in increases pressure at the front of the brake pad, increasing wear rate at the front even without any wiggliness or flex in the caliper. This should tend to eliminate the toe effect, by itself.
Old 03-09-23, 11:19 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4682 Post(s)
Liked 5,802 Times in 2,286 Posts
Originally Posted by cudak888
Maybe if the plate had a mounting tab that rose above the arms and didn't foul the yoke, that' be possible.

However, given the 2.55mm thickness mentioned above (and the fact that there's barely enough clearance between the arms and the plate; none if the forward arm happens to be bent ever so slightly), that's barely enough thread for securely mounting anything on the Cupertino design.

-Kurt
Spacer?
Old 03-09-23, 11:23 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Originally Posted by gugie
Spacer?
Part of me thinks that these Mafac-specific brake boosters don't really stiffen the brake at all, but provide a place for the forward arm to rest upon during braking - a job that would be lost with a spacer pushing it forward. Stiffness might even be affected depending on how much of the bushing is contacted by the spacer.

-Kurt

Old 03-10-23, 10:23 AM
Charles Wahl
Disraeli Gears

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 214 Posts
Originally Posted by cudak888
A straight-on photograph of a Raid with the arms at their normal spot when resting (with the cable set) might help more than anything else.

-Kurt
Does this help, Kurt?

The original, that would probably be at higher resolution, is here:
https://ruedatropical.wordpress.com/...l-brake-specs/

Last edited by Charles Wahl; 03-10-23 at 10:27 AM.
Likes For Charles Wahl:
Old 03-10-23, 12:07 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Originally Posted by Charles Wahl
Does this help, Kurt?
Yes, perfect. I forgot that Rueda Tropical had that picture; I remember discussing these at length with Mike way back when.

Nevertheless, I'm not going to have a set of RAID stiffeners made until I see what I get with the Racer/Competition variation.

-Kurt

Old 03-10-23, 12:49 PM
oneclick 

Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 1,328 Times in 784 Posts
Originally Posted by bulgie
Racer, Comp, 2000 and some others are 62. Raid = 75
Oh Rueda Tropical sez the Racers/Comps with the adjustable etrier were 63 mm. I can't confirm that at the moment.
If by adjustable stirrup is meant these ones:

then I can confirm:

Old 03-10-23, 01:12 PM
79pmooney

Originally Posted by top506
I did this many moons ago on a set of Weinnmanns:

Didn't seem to make much difference.

That looks to me to be too thin. Especially if that is aluminum. Steel, maybe. I'm thinking beefy 1/4 aluminum plate to make it as rigid as possible. And yes, I'd have to get new, longer bolts.
Old 03-12-23, 07:19 PM
capnjonny 

Bikes: Miyata 610(66cm), GT Vantara Hybrid (64cm), Nishiki International (64cm), Peugeot rat rod (62 cm), Trek 800 Burning Man helicopter bike, Bob Jackson frame (to be restored?) plus a never ending stream of neglected waifs from the Bike exchange.

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 229 Posts
I'm loving all the imput from you all about this. I often use Mafac racers when I need to use 700 c wheels on an old 27" frame. We have 10 times as many 700c wheels as 27"s at the Bike Exchange. Since we are on the subject, I have another couple questions. Where can I find the Brass bushings mentioned, and where can I get stradle cables for mafac competition brakes. I have a set but have only one straddle cable.

The bike Exchange had a parking lot sale today. It rained on and off all morning but we still sold quite a few bikes. Interestingly, the bikes sold were almost all mountain bikes. No interest in the road bikes. Too bad because we had some very nice ones, including a PDG Paramount, and a couple of Bianchis. we will most likely have another sale once the weather clears up.
Old 03-12-23, 08:16 PM
chain_whipped

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 452 Times in 232 Posts
Without spoiling the party, and budget bargain MAFAC centerpull's though with all this over thinking, extra machining parts, aftermarket expense booster whatever...

Spend it on a pair of GB Courier 66 brakes. Ingenious main support casting with wrap around pivot bearing for the individual arms. Superior design over MAFAC. Done.
Old 03-12-23, 09:02 PM
79pmooney

Originally Posted by chain_whipped
Without spoiling the party, and budget bargain MAFAC centerpull's though with all this over thinking, extra machining parts, aftermarket expense booster whatever...

Spend it on a pair of GB Courier 66 brakes. Ingenious main support casting with wrap around pivot bearing for the individual arms. Superior design over MAFAC. Done.
But ... just going to the Velobase website (1st hit when I duck-duck'd GB Courier 66) I saw several posters talk of missing springs. (2015. I doubt springs have spent the past 8 years crawling out of the woodwork.) Yes, I had spring issues with my first pair - from the bike I bought when I was 13, used for 22,000 miles then on my next bike. Blame the ham fisted teenager. And one pair I bought used and abused need a little spring work to get the calipers equal and cable roughly centered on the straddle. But never a chronic issue on a brake I am guessing cost considerably less than the Courier.
Old 03-13-23, 01:18 PM
chain_whipped

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 452 Times in 232 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
But ... just going to the Velobase website (1st hit when I duck-duck'd GB Courier 66) I saw several posters talk of missing springs. (2015. I doubt springs have spent the past 8 years crawling out of the woodwork.) Yes, I had spring issues with my first pair - from the bike I bought when I was 13, used for 22,000 miles then on my next bike. Blame the ham fisted teenager. And one pair I bought used and abused need a little spring work to get the calipers equal and cable roughly centered on the straddle. But never a chronic issue on a brake I am guessing cost considerably less than the Courier.
Indeed the first version (early 1960's) had potential losing the arm return springs. That type had a small hole drilled into the pivot mount end to hold the end of the spring. If set with too much relaxed or weak tension, its possible to lose the spring. If you were lucky in not losing it, they could rust and seize in that small hole. Also, because of individual brake tension differential, that would cause a bit of a hassle in centering with 'centerpull'... (if that makes any sense).

Version two of the later 1960's is the one to have. No way could one lose that return spring. More comparable to Weinmann or Dia compe and with a looped end that hooks around the lower brake arms. Easy setup, too. Awesome vintage brake.

Believe there was a third version, however I've never had one. Not sure if it was based on the first or second type but it did have the GB logo cast into the sides of that main carrier.

Last edited by chain_whipped; 03-13-23 at 01:22 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.