Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Regular shorts with chamois?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Regular shorts with chamois?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-24, 03:26 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10435 Post(s)
Liked 11,912 Times in 6,100 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
I wish mine would get stretched out. Then maybe they'd be more comfortable!

I don't really want to wear regular shorts over padded shorts. To me that defeats the purpose. Don't want the hassle of bibs. I don't want "padding," I want a good chamois, which to me isn't considered "padding" in a pair of shorts that I might otherwise wear to the mall. Maybe the Dickies with Chamois that @seypat linked to? That's pretty much what I had in mind.

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone.
I had a pair of regular looking shorts with a padded liner years ago, but the problem I found was that if I didn't hike the shorts up, the liner wasn't tight enough to hold the chamois properly in place. So, there's that.

Eventually I got over worrying about wearing cycling shorts, but to be fair, I ONLY wear them to ride, so they only have to be presentable in that context.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 03-08-24, 03:27 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Originally Posted by Eric F
Despite having ridden in padded, lycra bicycle bibs for many thousands of miles, over multiple decades, on rides lasting less than an hour to more than 6 hours, I'm puzzled that I have had zero of the issues that you claim happen with that type of clothing. Why is that? Am I doing something different than the masses of other cyclists who wear the same type of clothing?
You're clearly not doing it right.

Old 03-08-24, 03:53 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4955 Post(s)
Liked 8,097 Times in 3,832 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
You're clearly not doing it right.
Clearly. I feel relived to have been educated about my mistake.
Old 03-08-24, 03:54 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

I wish mine would get stretched out. Then maybe they'd be more comfortable! .
Here's an idea...try a larger size.
Old 03-08-24, 03:55 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Here's an idea...try a larger size.
Chuck 'em in a dryer on the highest temp.

Unless they're wool.

Old 03-08-24, 04:03 PM
MattoftheRocks

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 23 Posts
EricF mstateglfr welp, you two probably actually are riding and don’t actually have any need for the padding beyond a modesty shroud.

You’ll be fine with some basketball shorts.
Old 03-08-24, 04:18 PM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
It is better in my opinion to buy bike underwear that has an artificial chamois liner that can be worn under any shorts one wishes. That is commonly done for those riding mountain bikes who want longer shorts.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...TF8&th=1&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Being able to change out the underwear and put on clean ones is a good way to avoid bacterial skin infections (saddle sores) from riding.
Likes For Calsun:
Old 03-08-24, 04:22 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Originally Posted by MattoftheRocks
EricF mstateglfr welp, you two probably actually are riding and don’t actually have any need for the padding beyond a modesty shroud.

You’ll be fine with some basketball shorts.
I've ridden in shorts with no padding, as well as a variety of different configurations and thicknesses of pads. In my experience, the longer my ride, the more a high-quality pad makes a significant difference in my comfort, and my ability to keep performing at my best.

I will not be fine with basketball shorts. I highly prefer my outdoor plumbing components to be kept out of the way and held in place by the friendly support of lycra. I also have very little tolerance for flapping fabric while I ride. Cycling clothing is built for the specific demands of cycling. Why should I use clothing optimized for a different sport? Do you also recommend that surfers wear ski jackets?
Old 03-08-24, 05:35 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10964 Post(s)
Liked 7,491 Times in 4,189 Posts
Originally Posted by Calsun
It is better in my opinion to buy bike underwear that has an artificial chamois liner that can be worn under any shorts one wishes. That is commonly done for those riding mountain bikes who want longer shorts.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...TF8&th=1&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Being able to change out the underwear and put on clean ones is a good way to avoid bacterial skin infections (saddle sores) from riding.
I am continually impressed with how you manage to make so many responses sound like they were run thru an AI response program.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 03-08-24, 06:07 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

I've ridden in shorts with no padding, as well as a variety of different configurations and thicknesses of pads. In my experience, the longer my ride, the more a high-quality pad makes a significant difference in my comfort, and my ability to keep performing at my best.

I will not be fine with basketball shorts. I highly prefer my outdoor plumbing components to be kept out of the way and held in place by the friendly support of lycra. I also have very little tolerance for flapping fabric while I ride. Cycling clothing is built for the specific demands of cycling. Why should I use clothing optimized for a different sport? Do you also recommend that surfers wear ski jackets?
I never cease to be amazed at people who think their individual experience is universally applicable.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 03-08-24, 06:15 PM
MattoftheRocks

Dont know what your junk are in the way of unless you’re trying to keep your hips over the rear axle the whole time.

when it’s off-season and they’re in Sheboygan, sure.
Old 03-08-24, 06:22 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Dont know what your junk are in the way of unless you’re trying to keep your hips over the rear axle the whole time.
Floppy shorts means floppy parts. No, thanks. Not when I'm riding.
Old 03-08-24, 06:26 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3952 Post(s)
Liked 7,299 Times in 2,947 Posts
I will not be fine with basketball shorts. I highly prefer my outdoor plumbing components to be kept out of the way and held in place by the friendly support of lycra.
I used to wear lycra tights under my jeans and chaps in my rodeo days for the same reason.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 03-08-24, 06:29 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18420 Post(s)
Liked 15,564 Times in 7,333 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
I am continually impressed with how you manage to make so many responses sound like they were run thru an AI response program.
That’s totally AI. Fits with his trolling MO.
Old 03-08-24, 06:30 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

when it’s off-season and they’re in Sheboygan, sure.
How old are you? There's an increase in size and pendulosity that comes with age.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 03-08-24, 06:35 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3513 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,776 Posts
I had a pair of regular looking shorts with a padded liner years ago, but the problem I found was that if I didn't hike the shorts up, the liner wasn't tight enough to hold the chamois properly in place. So, there's that.
A good point I hadn’t considered.
Old 03-08-24, 06:43 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,968 Times in 4,692 Posts
I think the disagreement in this thread comes from different posters' riding habits.

If a person is riding more than trivial distances, then the most comfortable solution is a high-quality pair of Lycra shorts (or bib shorts) with a good chamois. In fact, I can't even recall the last time I saw anyone (on a group ride, event ride, or race) wearing anything else.

If a person is doing token rides on their vintage bike or just toodling around town, I suppose gym shorts or cutoffs are okay, or even a liner under cargo shorts. But there's a reason why people who actually ride a lot almost universally wear good Lycra shorts with chamois.

A person surely can ride long distances with gym shorts -- I did that on my first century ride when I was in HS. Of course, I was pretty ignorant, and didn't have much money, and didn't realize that I was a lot less comfortable than I could've been.

Last edited by Koyote; 03-08-24 at 06:50 PM.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 03-08-24, 09:54 PM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
And how EXACTLY do you have experience with AI response programs? I have none as I cannot waste time on social media and prefer not to engage in adult child communication as it is pointless and a bit like describing a piece of music to a deaf person.

Seems like you have the perspective of a flatlander with little experience and no desire to learn anything from others which begs the question - why are you on this forum?

Last edited by Calsun; 03-08-24 at 09:58 PM.
Old 03-08-24, 10:00 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10964 Post(s)
Liked 7,491 Times in 4,189 Posts
And how EXACTLY do you have experience with AI response programs? I have none as I cannot waste time on social media and prefer not to engage in adult child communication as it is pointless and a bit like describing a piece of music to a deaf person.
You really asked how I have experience with it?
It's not exactly difficult...I opened a free openAI account and tried it out.

You seem to think openAI or similar programs are social media...that's an odd view to have.
You also seem to think AI response programs are 'adult child' communication. Again, odd view to have.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 03-08-24, 10:44 PM
MattoftheRocks

genejockey rofl! “Pendulosity” is fantastic! Are the ol seed pods whacking yer knees?!
Old 03-08-24, 10:49 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18420 Post(s)
Liked 15,564 Times in 7,333 Posts
…why are you on this forum?
“Funny. I was thinking the same thing.”—Jules Winfield
Old 03-09-24, 12:09 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2495 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 523 Posts
How old are you? There's an increase in size and pendulosity that comes with age.
How much of an increase in size? Asking for a friend.
Edit: never mind. It isn't the seeds I thought you were talking about ...

Last edited by Leisesturm; 03-09-24 at 12:13 AM.
Old 03-09-24, 12:11 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2495 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 523 Posts
You really asked how I have experience with it?
It's not exactly difficult...I opened a free openAI account and tried it out.

You seem to think openAI or similar programs are social media...that's an odd view to have.
You also seem to think AI response programs are 'adult child' communication. Again, odd view to have.
Do you know how old they are?
Old 03-09-24, 12:39 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

genejockey rofl! “Pendulosity” is fantastic! Are the ol seed pods whacking yer knees?!
When I was a younger man, I would never have imagined sitting on them, but decades later, well, here we are.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 03-09-24, 06:40 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4414 Post(s)
Liked 4,867 Times in 3,012 Posts
Are there any non-spandex style shorts, that look like regular shorts with pockets, that have a chamois sewn in? Cycling shorts that have the benefits and comfort of cycling shorts but look like “normal” shorts?
Since you value quality, then 7-mesh shorts and padded liners are the gold standard. They are ultra-light, ultra-durable and ultra-comfortable. I wear the outers on and off the bike pretty much as my default clothing. I only wear the liners for biking.

https://7mesh.com/collections/pants-shorts

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.