Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Cantilever brake and stem options

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Cantilever brake and stem options

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-24, 09:22 AM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
Originally Posted by The Golden Boy
Imagine reaching to get something out of one of the back pockets and bumping the lever- or the main flap string gets caught on the lever and you pull the flap up...

IMG_1703 by Dave The Golden Boy, on Flickr
​​​​​​
Can't you just flip it back down? Is that not allowed?

Or does that qr coming undone cause a violent disassembly of the entire front end of the bike, possibly wounding bystanders with flying shrapnel and throwing the rider under the wheels of the nearest transit bus or gasoline tanker?
Likes For Ironfish653:
Old 03-12-24, 11:19 AM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1181 Post(s)
Liked 2,576 Times in 1,076 Posts
Imagine reaching to get something out of one of the back pockets and bumping the lever- or the main flap string gets caught on the lever and you pull the flap up...
Yes it's conceivable, but in all the 60+ years those have been in use (Universal 61 being possibly the first), I have never heard of it happening. (OK I'll admit I could have heard about it and then forgot, but that also seems somewhat unlikely, it's the kind of thing I would remember.)

Plus, I trust that I would feel it if it happened, and click it back. The scenario where I knocked it open without noticing is just too vanishingly unlikely to bother worrying about, for me. Maybe I'd worry about it for a child, or an adult who's just very much not mechanically inclined. NTTAWWT! Some of those un-mechanical people have skills I can only dream of!

A co-worker at the bikeshop once accepted a ride home from the bar after being over-served. To put the bike in the car, the kindly designated driver (another bikeshop dude) disconnected the canti brake straddle cables and took the wheels out, then put the wheels back in at the drunk guy's house but didn't hook the brakes back up. Next morning, my hung-over friend jumped on his bike for his commute to work, which starts with a long downhill. It wasn't until it was time to brake that he noticed he didn't have any. He crashed through a hedge, with some tearing of flesh and significant damage to the hedge, then went across a parking lot still way too fast and crashed through the hedge on the other side. No stitches required, but a lot of bandaids! Moral of the story, don't let anyone else work on your bike! OK maybe that's not the #1 moral, something about demon alcohol maybe? Or, "when you have no brakes, look for something soft to crash into or through."
Likes For bulgie:
Old 03-12-24, 12:28 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 1,769 Times in 635 Posts

IMG_1703 by Dave The Golden Boy, on Flickr
I have road about 40 years with these or similar front or rear without any real problems. For looks and function I like the early 90's Marin hanger that came on a lot of MTB's simple bolt on and with a bit of adjustment. I will post a pic of one from one of my bikes later today.

Last edited by zukahn1; 03-12-24 at 12:31 PM.
Old 03-12-24, 01:42 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1955 Post(s)
Liked 3,661 Times in 1,679 Posts
I have had those quick releases and I never had an issue.
Old 03-12-24, 02:51 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 1,769 Times in 635 Posts
Some canti stud brakes that work great late 80 classic shimmano

But if just want good brakes that work semi cheapo linear pull semi modern brakes with modern brake pads will out brake pretty much anything vintage and will work with nearly any bike with studs no studs go to center pulls all tried and proven,

Old 03-13-24, 08:06 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2608 Post(s)
Liked 1,703 Times in 937 Posts
Originally Posted by Ironfish653
​​​​​​
Can't you just flip it back down? Is that not allowed?

Or does that qr coming undone cause a violent disassembly of the entire front end of the bike, possibly wounding bystanders with flying shrapnel and throwing the rider under the wheels of the nearest transit bus or gasoline tanker?
Originally Posted by bulgie
Yes it's conceivable, but in all the 60+ years those have been in use (Universal 61 being possibly the first), I have never heard of it happening. (OK I'll admit I could have heard about it and then forgot, but that also seems somewhat unlikely, it's the kind of thing I would remember.)

Plus, I trust that I would feel it if it happened, and click it back. The scenario where I knocked it open without noticing is just too vanishingly unlikely to bother worrying about, for me. Maybe I'd worry about it for a child, or an adult who's just very much not mechanically inclined. NTTAWWT! Some of those un-mechanical people have skills I can only dream of!
Originally Posted by zukahn1
I have road about 40 years with these or similar front or rear without any real problems. For looks and function I like the early 90's Marin hanger that came on a lot of MTB's simple bolt on and with a bit of adjustment. I will post a pic of one from one of my bikes later today.
Originally Posted by 52telecaster
I have had those quick releases and I never had an issue.
There is no real upside to these for cantilever brakes beyond being nifty. You still have to squeeze the calipers together to disengage the brakes. Best case scenario is it makes it a little easier to loosen the tension- but you still have to squeeze the calipers together to disengage the brakes, and there's better and safer solutions- such as the QR on the levers that re-engage when the lever is pulled.

Can you flip the lever down, yes- if you know you flipped it up. Or, once you realize you don't have brakes you're quick thinking enough to evaluate why you don't have brakes and realize that you've bumped it enough to disengage it when you apply pressure to the brake cable- and then have the presence of mind and the time to reach forward and re-engage the QR.

I've been riding with the front QRs on a couple bikes for a long time- in fact- one bike I had a rear QR on it- and no, it's never happened to me- but it could. I don't trust myself to know that I did it- especially if I'm in a hurry or cold or hot or flustered trying to get into something in my front bag.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Likes For The Golden Boy:
Old 03-13-24, 09:25 PM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

There is no real upside to these for cantilever brakes beyond being nifty. You still have to squeeze the calipers together to disengage the brakes.
Respectfully, I don't think that's true. I can open the lever without squeezing anything else. Maybe mine are more slippery than yours. But if yours require squeezing the calipers, that should make them safe against accidental opening, no?

I can't hardly imagine getting on a bike without giving the brake levers a test-squeeze. Maybe from years in bike shops, test-riding other people's bikes. If you get in that habit, then I think the only real worry is if the QR gets opened while riding, which just seems so dang unlikely.

I do think that style of QR gives an advantage over just disconnecting the straddle on a canti, namely that the brake stays connected, and you can flip the lever down while riding if needed. I don't have them on any bike o' mine currently, but I have in the past, and I liked them. I have never even heard anyone mention a safety issue with them before now, that I can think of.

If I die from forgetting my brake QRs are open, you can put that on my epitaph!
Old 03-14-24, 02:11 AM
P!N20

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,899 Times in 931 Posts
Likes For P!N20:
Old 03-14-24, 04:49 AM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

P!N20 — couldn't be more perfect, thanks! I will use that for sure.

"He died doing what he loved." Crashing a bike, apparently.
Likes For bulgie: