Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

Made.Bike Show

Search
Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

Made.Bike Show

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-23, 06:58 PM
Cynikal 
Team Beer

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 159 Times in 104 Posts
Made.Bike Show

Who is going? I know there is a large cohort here from Portland. Any planned meet ups? I'm hopping a train from Sacramento arriving on Friday afternoon with bike and will be there through Monday afternoon. Staying about a half mile or so from the show.
Old 08-19-23, 06:35 PM
Robvolz 

Bikes: several Eddy Merz (ride like Eddy, braze like Jim!)

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1083 Post(s)
Liked 1,820 Times in 662 Posts
Y’all need a discount code?

15% off?

robert
Old 08-24-23, 05:49 AM
Doug Fattic 
framebuilder

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 615 Post(s)
Liked 1,916 Times in 656 Posts
I’m going to exhibit my Ukrainian made laser cut stainless steel fixture. I use it instead of a full scale drawing to create a custom frame design from a rider’s bike position. In addition it allows me to check the accuracy of my miters before spot brazing the frame together on it. The fixture has been through many modifications and adjustments over the years. The Ukrainian company that makes them can really use the income to help keep their workers employed. I’ll also have some information on the charity bicycle project we have been doing in Ukraine for 23 years. We will be selling Ukraine themed cycling jerseys and T shirts.

One of my local friends that took my frame building class 30 years ago makes the adjustable height V block assemblies with the CNC milling center he has in his garage.
Likes For Doug Fattic:
Old 08-24-23, 01:38 PM
Cynikal 
Team Beer

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 159 Times in 104 Posts
Awesome Doug, I'll be up there tomorrow and at the show Sat and Sun. Looking forward to seeing this.
Old 08-24-23, 01:51 PM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1181 Post(s)
Liked 2,576 Times in 1,076 Posts
Originally Posted by Doug Fattic
I’m going to exhibit my Ukrainian made laser cut stainless steel fixture.
Awesome, looks like I will finally get to meet you. Also eager to see the features of the fixture, I see a lot of cleverness there.

Mark B
Likes For bulgie:
Old 09-03-23, 07:30 AM
Doug Fattic 
framebuilder

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 615 Post(s)
Liked 1,916 Times in 656 Posts
I exhibited at the back corner of the show because I signed up at the last minute. My goal was to show off my laser cut and etched Ukrainian made fixture. A few sales would really help the company that makes them. Its features are not obvious at a casual glance so I need to explain how I can take a person’s bike position and turn it into a frame design. The kind of customer that wants a steel custom frame is probably no longer dreaming of winning the Tour de France and will most likely sit in a more relaxed position than a racer. My fixture takes the place of a full scale drawing and makes it easy to make adjustments. I’ve been fussing and refining its design and features ever since I started making frames over 45 years ago.

I also had an example of the kind of bicycle we make in Ukraine as a charity project for pastors and other service workers to get around. Back when Russia 1st invaded Ukraine in 2014 we sent the bulk of them to the east where they were most needed. Now of course they are needed everywhere. Our donation box was full of bills.

What I was surprised to find out was how many attendees at the show wanted to learn how to build frames. I wasn’t there to promote my frame building classes but I was asked constantly about them. in fact I had to run out and get more brochures printed.

Another common question I got was about using propane instead of acetylene. I’ve posted on frame building forums about how to switch over and many wanted to ask me questions about that. When we 1st started to build frames in Ukraine it only made sense to use propane and I’ve don a lot of research on how to make it work well. The simple answer is propane specific tips with multi-port tips like Meco or Paige brand working the best.

I had my large desktop computer showing videos of fillet brazing and to my surprise I don’t think a single person paid any attention.

In the fixture was a student made frame. It got the most comments from students that had already taken a class somewhere else and wondered if that was a 1st time build. Those just interested in taking a class weren't as impressed because they don't yet know what all is involved and how challenging it is.
Likes For Doug Fattic: