Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

Post/I.S.?mount, steel, curved fork blades: Min wall thickness?

Search
Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-23, 04:36 PM
tangerineowl

Bikes: Curve Grovel v2 ti

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 75 Posts

130lb rider considering getting a fabricated, curved mid-trail, qr, disc fork.100mm. To pair with a frame also.

Have read about the Kaisei blades that Jan Heine sells for rim-brake builds, but I'm wondering how thin a blade type I could go for disc, at my weight?
Something that would give some kind of plush ride, but can still be suitable for disc brake forces, but not be too noodly when braking forces applied.

Suggestions on blade models would be appreciated. 29x2.2/24 tyre on light carbon rim.
Old 08-22-23, 05:26 PM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1181 Post(s)
Liked 2,576 Times in 1,076 Posts
Originally Posted by tangerineowl
130lb rider considering getting a fabricated, curved mid-trail, qr, disc fork.100mm. To pair with a frame also.

Have read about the Kaisei blades that Jan Heine sells for rim-brake builds, but I'm wondering how thin a blade type I could go for disc, at my weight?
Something that would give some kind of plush ride, but can still be suitable for disc brake forces, but not be too noodly when braking forces applied.

Suggestions on blade models would be appreciated. 29x2.2/24 tyre on light carbon rim.
Ah the eternal search for a plush steel disk fork. I fear it is not possible, any blade strong enough for disk will be a bit rigid compared to plush steel rim brake forks.

Maybe look at a Lauf fork?

Here's what you don't want:

That third one was a drum brake, but it shows that even a disk brake mount that attaches a bit further up the blade (e.g. Willitts style) may not save you.
Old 08-22-23, 07:01 PM
Cynikal 
Team Beer

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 159 Times in 104 Posts
^ What Bulgie said. Also, ask your self how much compliance you need with a 2+ inch tire? You will never notice a compliant fork with that much tire.
Old 08-25-23, 10:27 AM
guy153

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 263 Times in 212 Posts

If you look in the Reynolds catalogue, the 631 and 853 curved fork blades that they say are "for disk" are 1.1mm wall compared to 1.0/0.6mm for rim brakes. Outer dimensions are 27.5/20mm oval. I would go for something in that kind of size (631 is about the same strength as cromoly) and wall thickness for a plush ride consistent with sufficient safety.
Likes For guy153:
Old 08-25-23, 04:13 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,699 Times in 2,519 Posts
Torch and File has a lightweight Reynolds disc fork blade. Maybe ask your builder about using those. I hate their website so I didn't look to see if they have bent ones: https://www.torchandfile.com/reynold...-tip-pair.html

I agree that forks are no place to play games, but I weigh 80 more pounds than the OP.
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 08-25-23, 04:28 PM
tangerineowl

Bikes: Curve Grovel v2 ti

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 75 Posts
Thanks for the blade suggestions, all.

And those scary initial pics!
Old 08-25-23, 05:52 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,543 Posts

I got a custom from dave kirk and we had the rim vs disc conversation.

A disc fork to be save has to be built enough heavier that weight is noticeable and performance is not as good as a build for a rim brake. He advised against disc unless I had a very specific need like a lot of down hill riding in the rain

ymmv

Old 08-25-23, 06:41 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,699 Times in 2,519 Posts
Turns out there is a bent version of those blades I linked. Cool hammer too. https://www.torchandfile.com/reynold...-tip-pair.html
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 09-03-23, 04:17 PM
Nomad2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by guy153
If you look in the Reynolds catalogue, the 631 and 853 curved fork blades that they say are "for disk" are 1.1mm wall compared to 1.0/0.6mm for rim brakes. Outer dimensions are 27.5/20mm oval. I would go for something in that kind of size (631 is about the same strength as cromoly) and wall thickness for a plush ride consistent with sufficient safety.
When I had my bike rebuilt for disc brakes, I had a custom fork built for it which utilized the Reynolds 631 bent disc blades. The bike originally came with a carbon/aluminum fork with cantilever mounts. I was more worried about weight than ride quality. I made myself feel better by getting a carbon wheelset though I'm sure the difference is psychological. Yes the fork would be heavier but it hasn't fundamentally changed the character of the bike. I am running 32mm tyres for on road use. I suspect I might get a little more feedback on rough surfaces but the fact I say "suspect" means it's not much and doesn't bother me. If you are going to be using much wider tyres then I can't imagine you'll have too much issue with the ride.
Likes For Nomad2: