Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

SR Suntour disassembly and rebuild question.

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-23, 02:45 PM
beyerj

Bikes: 2014 KHS UltraSport 1.0 (Alice); 2023 Aventon Soltera.2 Ebike (Dorothy)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 8 Posts

Hello, I haven't posted a stupid question in a while so here goes. My KHS (Alice) has a SR Suntour M3020 front suspension fork. I don't like it. It's obviously beyond its prime. I've found plenty on videos on youtube showing the disassembly and rebuild. Seems easy enough but does it really do anything. This specific fork doesn't have a lock-out. I'd love to replace the fork with a suspension corrected fork but I'm having a difficult time finding one that is long enough; the KHS has an XL frame.

I'm currently in Seattle right now and I rode down to the Des Moines Marina. The hills here are great but I almost ate **** a couple of times because when I braked, the front nosed down hard and fast because of the weak fork. In the videos, they disassemble the fork, clean parts and reassemble. No parts are replaced. So what good does rebuilding the fork do? Unless I'm going to replace that spring with a solid piece of pipe.

Thanks, Jim
Old 10-23-23, 06:03 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 2,058 Posts
Replace the spring with a length of pipe - instant rigid fork
Old 10-23-23, 06:16 PM
beyerj

Originally Posted by dedhed
Replace the spring with a length of pipe - instant rigid fork
I really can't argue with this. I'm sure it would be far cheaper than finding a suspension adjusted fork in that length.
Old 10-24-23, 06:06 AM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1746 Post(s)
Liked 1,376 Times in 721 Posts
Yep, replace the spring with something that makes the fork inoperable, or budget 500-1000 dollars to get a fully adjustable air/hydro fork to replace it.
Old 10-25-23, 10:02 PM
50PlusCycling

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 552 Post(s)
Liked 820 Times in 412 Posts
You can usually find shops selling last year’s forks (and sometimes models from 2 or 3 previous years) at a discount, usually less than half of retail. Fortunately, replacing a fork is about has hard as cooking lasagne, and takes less time. There are a lot of videos on YouTube showing how its done.
Old 10-25-23, 10:12 PM
beyerj

Originally Posted by 50PlusCycling
You can usually find shops selling last year’s forks (and sometimes models from 2 or 3 previous years) at a discount, usually less than half of retail. Fortunately, replacing a fork is about has hard as cooking lasagne, and takes less time. There are a lot of videos on YouTube showing how its done.
Yes, that is true. Only problem is finding a fork as long as the one on Alice. A shorter fork would change the geometry which I'm not crazy about. The forks I did find of the same length had shorter steering tubes that would not work.

Last edited by beyerj; 10-25-23 at 10:30 PM.
Old 10-26-23, 02:44 AM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
It’s a bit of a bodge, but if you’re already taking the fork apart, you can insert a short (3/4”) piece of pipe into the spring stack when you put the fork back together.
As you’ve noted, there isn’t really anything you can do to adjust a basic fork like this, with the stock parts, and the best upgrade for it is a full replacement.

This will compress the spring partially, basically increasing your effective spring rate ( makes it stiffer)
It also will have the effect of reducing the overall travel, and since low cost forks like this have very little damping, it will also rebound faster.
On a path-bike like the OP, you will probably notice that the ride isn’t as smooth as before, but you won’t experience the “dive” on descents and braking like before.
Old 10-26-23, 12:41 PM
soyabean

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked 416 Times in 274 Posts
Originally Posted by Ironfish653
On a path-bike like the OP
Then why bother with a suspension at all?

Better to go rigid fork.

Yes the nose of the bike will angle down a few degrees, but that can be solved with a stem riser and saddle nose up a bit.
Old 10-27-23, 09:03 PM
beyerj

Originally Posted by soyabean
Then why bother with a suspension at all?

Better to go rigid fork.

Yes the nose of the bike will angle down a few degrees, but that can be solved with a stem riser and saddle nose up a bit.
Exactly. I prefer rigid. But I can't get a fork that is too short otherwise I be grinding the pedals into the pavement. I'm still looking for a suspension correcting fork that will work for that bike.