Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

First Road Bike, Specialized Allez or Trek 1.2 or other?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-13, 07:28 AM
youngbeginner

Bikes: 2012 Redline DS1 & 2014 Giant Defy 2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi, I'm getting my first road bike soon and two of the seven local shops within 15 miles of me seemed helpful and one recommended the Specialized Allez and the other recommended the Trek 1.2. The shop that caries the Allez also carries Bianchi, Salsa, Surley, Ritchey, and BH, along with Spcialized (I have never heard of Salsa or Ritchey). The shop that carries the 1.2 also carries Giant, Felt, Ridley, Parlee, and Argon 18 along with Trek (I have never heard of Argon 18 or Parlee). Out of these companies is there a first bike that you would reccomend that is under $1000? Also, out of the first 2 is there a better bike. Please take into mind that I eventually want to start racing next spring and I am only 15 (almost 16), so I don't have too much $$$ to spend. (I have saved up $1,008 for this ordeal.) Thanks for any answers.
Old 08-07-13, 07:33 AM
gregor7777

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had the exact same choice a little while back. I narrowed it down to an 2013 Allez Sport vs a 2013 Trek 1.2. I ended up with the Trek, because after riding them both a bunch the Trek simply fit me better.

Price being equal they are basically both quality entry-level bikes from good manufacturers so ride them both extensively and choose whichever fits you better.
Old 08-07-13, 07:57 AM
The Blue Banana
You Get What You Give

Bikes: Look 555

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
For a grand I just bought a 2007 look 555, it was new old stock... has 105 group and aksium wheels so pretty entry level but it is a full carbon bike for he price of an aluminum trek that going to come with low end compontery. I always prefer to buy older / used version of a better product than a brand new "cheaper product"
Old 08-07-13, 08:36 AM
Icculus21

Bikes: 2013 Trek 1.5

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You can get a Trek 1.5 for under $1000. Trek's summer discount MSRP was $999 and I picked mine up $900. The bike is essentially unchanged for 2014. Actually, the 2013 has a couple of slightly better components. I haven't seen a better deal for an equivalent bike from other brands. Unless they're also discounted you're looking in the $1200-$1300 range.
Old 08-07-13, 09:34 AM
youngbeginner

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all the answers. Just a question, how can I go into one store and just ride the bike while being interested in the bike? I feel like the owners would want to know that i was committed to buying from their store... Also, the prices for both bikes are on a small discount so it would cost $930 for the Trek 1.2 and it comes with a free fit and 2 free tune ups, and for the Allez it is $880 + $50 for fitting and no free tune ups. I have not tried either bike, so that will be my first course of action, but first I have to figure out how to ask and explain the predicament without looking like a complete jerk. I feel like I could ride the Trek at most any time though, because one of my friends works at the store. he also said he may be able to get me a discount, but I don't want to cheat the system. Anyway, thanks...
Old 08-07-13, 09:36 AM
bonz50

Bikes: 2013 Synapse 4

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
in that price range all the bikes are going to be comparably equipped and likely excellent bikes. find the one that you are most comfortable on and go for it, if you're comfy on several get the one that has the coolest paint. the trek 1.x and allez (which ever is comparably equipped) are great bikes. imho, get the one that has tiagra group and you're golden. an entry level tiagra AL frame bike is a great ride and either should be available at your LBS for under $1000
Old 08-07-13, 10:11 AM
gregor7777

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The store shouldn't expect any commitment whatsoever from you other than your drivers license for a test ride.

If they are pressuring you for more than that (like a promise to buy from them), find another dealer; That one is garbage.

Also, the one charging for the fit when you buy a bike from them is probably garbage as well.
Old 08-07-13, 10:26 AM
youngbeginner

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't have a driver's license, I'm only 15! And my age is exactly what makes it seem strange... One lady gave me a look like "are you being serious?" when I asked her. I think she though i just wanted to ride it for some reason. also, most people seem to think that an underaged individual without a parent isn't serious about buying a bike and doesn't have the initiative to save up enough money anyway. Well if anyone has any ideas how to ask (given my young age) please shoot.....
Old 08-07-13, 11:19 AM
Icculus21

Bikes: 2013 Trek 1.5

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
They'll just hold a credit card if you want a test ride. Go in and tell them you're interested in a bike and want to test ride, they shouldn't turned off by age. Take it out for a half hour or 45 minutes on various roads, hills, etc to get a good feel. Like whats mentioned above, most bikes within the lower price range will be comparable. Not to push towards a Trek again but the 1.5 can be had for less than that, and it's Tiagra.
Old 08-07-13, 11:41 AM
Bacciagalupe
Professional Fuss-Budget

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 14 Posts
As noted, most stores will want a credit card. It's not clear if you have one (though I'd guess "no.") As such, you may need to be accompanied by a parent to the store to lay out a credit card.

As to the choice, both are fine bikes, more than capable of racing. Keep in mind you'll need a few extras -- helmet, gloves, shorts, speedometer, saddle bag. I'd skip on fancy jerseys, you can get decent running shirts at Target for $15 or less.
Old 08-07-13, 11:47 AM
floridamtb

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL6, Trek Madone 4.5, Trek X-Caliber

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 4 Posts
Ride both, take a parent to stay behind and provide the credit card or license as there might be liability concerns as well with your age. Both bikes are great and you can't go wrong. Last year I faced a similar decision between the Allez and Madone 2 series. Both bikes rode very similar, had similar components etc. For me if it comes down to a tie I would say go with the best bike shop, the one you feel the best with. In the end I waited and ended up buying a Trek Madone 4.5 for just a little more than the Madone 2.0 during their TDF sale.
Old 08-07-13, 02:36 PM
youngbeginner

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a helmet that is amazing (just bought it and love it), I have one pair of shorts that I just got and are good, but I should probably get another pair because washing takes 1.5-2 days. Gloves, are they necessary? And why? Same with the Speedometer and saddle bag? Also, I found a website where I can customize my own jersey or just get a plain one for just $30, and that's about the cost of most running shirts that I already have or could get. Additionally, no I don't have a credit card. Is there anything else I could give them like a couple franklins to hold or something? Well thanks for all the answers anyway, I didn't expect so much help!
Old 08-07-13, 02:43 PM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1873 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
I doubt they would take a couple Franklins and let a $1000 bike roll out the door. Getting the essentials first is the key. A couple pair of shorts and jerseys, flat tire changing tools, floor pump. Leave the bag out (you shouldn't need it anyway) and the computer can wait too (have a smartphone? use Strava).
Old 08-07-13, 02:50 PM
youngbeginner

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have tools and everything except for jerseys and another pair of shorts. Do you know where I could get a few jersey or a few for a fairly low price? Online or IRL. I live in Westchester NY.
Old 08-07-13, 02:55 PM
shoota 

Nashbar.com

What size do you wear?
Old 08-07-13, 03:24 PM
youngbeginner

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't know...
Old 08-07-13, 03:36 PM
shoota 

what's your height and weight?
Old 08-07-13, 03:52 PM
youngbeginner

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
5 ft 11 in 150 lbs
Old 08-07-13, 04:24 PM
shoota 

So probably medium but most websites will have a fitting chart for the their closing. Use that, good luck!
Old 08-07-13, 04:27 PM
bbattle

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 5.2, 1985 Pinarello Treviso, 1990 Gardin Shred, 2006 Bianchi San Jose

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts
Some people ride without gloves but I like them because of better grip, especially when wet. Also, should you go down in a crash or fall over because you couldn't unclip in time, you will put your hands out to stop yourself and gloves will keep you from shredding your hands.

Plus, the white hands and tanned arms will mark you as a "serious" cyclist.
Old 08-07-13, 05:08 PM
2 wheeler
Ancient Clydesdale

Bikes: Specialized Allez Elite

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Have you checked what's available on Craigslist? If you shopped some bikes listed there, you could probably save a ton of money.

The shops will work on your bike whether you buy it there or not. Better yet, do all the service yourself: I did when I was your age and don't use shop services now, either.
Old 08-07-13, 05:19 PM
youngbeginner

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, I can't tan my arms, or any part of my body. I think I got the irish genes... and I only burn

Also, if I knew my way around a bike, I would love fixing it up, however I don't even know all the components of a bike... My friend has been trying to teach me, and although I usually absorb information and techniques quite well, I can never wrap my head around all the stuff he tells me...
Old 08-07-13, 05:48 PM
nastystang

Bikes: 2014 Felt F2 2015 Specialized Tarmac Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think it would be a good idea to have a bike with a warranty and some support after the purchase until you get comfortable with upkeep and a warranty to back up any issues. Either bike would be a good bike. I really hate to say it but as a beginner you can find out just how serious you will be and an entry level price tag would be ideal. If the bike becomes a fancy rack for hanging things on in the corner at least it was . Also it will help if/when you get serious and want a better bike because any experience gained from first bike will help you decide what you want from the new bike. My last bike was a triple and I absolutely cant stand a triple crank set and will not own another. I did not care for the thumb shift button on the Sora either. You have a budget and could go to these stores and ride anything in your budget (probably only in the parking lot) and compare differences like SRAM shifting compared to Shimano, comfort compared to race geometry. I am guessing you will really want race geometry and at your age probably flexible enough to find it comfortable in an aggressive fit. Look at NOS and close out deals if there are any, might find a better bike discounted.
Old 08-07-13, 06:35 PM
Steeljag

Bikes: Giant TCR Adv Pro I

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Purchase the one that fits you the best,with the highest quality components you can afford.
Old 08-07-13, 06:51 PM
youngbeginner

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks and Nastystang thanks alot, that was really helpful and actually made tons of sense. I will go up to a local shop in a few days and see what I can do...