Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

winter cycling plans

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

winter cycling plans

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-16, 12:27 PM
David Bierbaum

Bikes: 1992 Specialized Crossroads (red)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 19 Posts
Sigh. I don't want to take my bike out now, with all the salt on the roads, so I'm making do with watching the "Long Riders" anime series for now.
Old 12-24-16, 01:40 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Local, Utility ; bank, Grocery, Bar, Hot food take outs.
Old 12-26-16, 08:02 PM
FrankHudson

Bikes: Five active bikes: 1983 Diamondback RidgeRunner (early production mountain bike), 1951 Raleigh Sports 3spd, 2012 Novara Safari, 2013 Schwinn 411 IGH, 2016 Jamis Roughneck Fatbike; plus a Trek T900 tandem shared with the family

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been trying to bike regularly through the Minnesota winter for the past three years. In my late 30's it I was an every-work day-winter commuter, but now my winter riding is largely urban, utility-type riding. Although I've ridden extensively in sub-zero F temps, I don't like it as much as I have never successfully solved eyeglass or goggle fogging when it get's that cold and you need to stop in traffic. But even in MN it's not always that cold, and a few-mile 20-30 degree F temp ride on a bike is not just more fun, it's also more comfortable to me than starting up a cold car, scraping the windows and hauling a ton and a half of steel around for no good reason.

We had weird Christmas day weather in Minnesota yesterday, heavy rain which froze. My wife and I planned to bike to a restaurant about 3 miles away, but she bailed out as soon as she got her bike onto the street in front of our house and found it completely frozen over. I decided to trust my studded tires and took a shorter ride to nowhere and back.
Old 12-27-16, 12:32 PM
VNA

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
If it is like an ice storm--that is no fun and even bizarre to see that ice every where it is like glazing a cake?
I remember those amazing days long long ago when I started the beginning of my American experience coming from the South of France!!! What a contrast it was! But so gorgeous! I since move to warmer climate!

But no matter what I dislike riding in the high 20s-low thirties--at least it warms up quickly with the sun--although yesterday it was only in the mid 40s! Another couple of weeks or so and the temps will be more civilized!

Enjoy your winters in such a beautiful place but cross country skying may be more appropriate!

Last edited by VNA; 12-27-16 at 01:07 PM.
Old 12-29-16, 03:35 PM
jskash

Bikes: 2021 Specialized Sirrus 6 and 2018 Giant Escape Disc

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 26 Posts
I am still riding every day, but it certainly is not as fun as it is when it is warmer outside. I do live in Southern California, but we do get fairly cold early in the morning. It has been in the low 40s most days. I know that is nothing like you folks on the east coast, but low 40s is cold enough to have to protect your extremities.
Old 12-29-16, 04:48 PM
PaulH

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 63 Posts
Temperatures have been in the teens a few times, but not a single snowflake. Consequently, the summer tires are still on the bike. looks like the second year in a row of no studs until January. It is nice to ride home surrounded by Christmas lights, but it is simply not a real winter yet.
Old 12-31-16, 03:55 PM
Parvana J

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Specialized Crosstrail

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a great setup in my basement. Laptop, flat screen TV, fan and bike on a Kurt Kinetic trainer. I use Trainer Road which has specific training plans to follow
that take the guess work out of what type of workout I should be doing. Oh. I also have a Stages Power meter. I use this time of year to get in some high quality workouts in so come Spring time I have a good aerobic base.
Cheers!
Old 01-01-17, 12:52 PM
tsurr

Bikes: Trek Madone, Trek 6700, Gary Fisher Hyb.

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by oldnslow2
With the temps dropping I'm riding less outside. So I joined the local gym and added all the spin classes to my calendar. This summer I rode 5 times a week and hope to still workout the same mixing outside and inside. Soon the road bike will be put away and the MTB will then outside bike.

What's your plans?

And the guys in the south should not rub it in.
my plans are just like your plans; 4 spin classes a week with upper body work outs, ride when it is 46 or above with some sun, hopefully get 2 to 4 rides outside a month. I have been doing this for 13 years and it works. Also ride hybrid bike during this time and keep off the road bike, working hills and neighborhoods or greenways.