Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

6 wk progress after my crash

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-16, 04:25 PM
dannwilliams
Its only pain

Bikes: '18 Salsa Marrakesh, '14 Salsa Colossal, '89 GT Timberline

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

I had my 6 week follow up appointment due to "the incident" and was told the hip is where I should be at this time. However, had a pic taken of the collarbone and it is still broken.The doc says this happens occasionally (he had some medical term for it) where the bone doesn't heal together on its own. I said I had pretty much full range of motion and that I was not experiencing pain. So the doc said we'll let it go and see if it stays that way or ends up fusing on its own. If it causes problems by not connecting I may need to get it plated, which is another surgery and I don't really want that so I will have my fingers crossed. He said 2 more weeks off, then I can return to work half days for 4 weeks. At that time I will have my 12 week check and hopefully be released from his care.
Old 12-28-16, 06:36 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Best time of year to be sidelined, don't you think? No pain on the collarbone is a good thing. Good luck on the healing together.
Old 12-29-16, 08:47 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Not to be a downer, but about 15 years ago, a friend of mine broke his collarbone and he basically lost the entire season because it kept not healing. On the other side of the coin, my doc broke his, got the plate, and did a 350-mile tour a few weeks later. I'd say, give it two more weeks and if it's not healing, get the plate!
Old 12-29-16, 09:09 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,585 Times in 2,344 Posts
don't rush it, be a good patient. well done so far, good luck!
Old 12-29-16, 09:22 AM
Senrab62 
It's the little things

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 147 Posts
Sorry to hear about your injury. Wish you well with the follow-up and hope you get well and heal up soon!
Old 12-29-16, 04:27 PM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1297 Post(s)
Liked 940 Times in 490 Posts
Research collagen supplements, also MSM and take extra cal/mag/zinc.

Bone Restore with Vitamin K2, 120 capsules

UC-II Undenatured Type II Collagen 60 Veg Capsules

NOW Foods MSM 1,000 mg 240 Caps - Swanson Health Products

Ask questions/search here: https://www.curezone.org/forums/f.asp?f=106&c=1

Last edited by 1989Pre; 12-29-16 at 04:32 PM.
Old 12-29-16, 09:52 PM
VNA

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Great news for most of it--be patient with the collar bone--indeed sometimes a surgery is required as I understand. But for your hip did they put a plate or nails? (Zickel)
Good luck!
Old 12-30-16, 06:47 AM
dannwilliams
Its only pain

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by VNA
Great news for most of it--be patient with the collar bone--indeed sometimes a surgery is required as I understand. But for your hip did they put a plate or nails? (Zickel)
Good luck!
It was a total hip replacement.
Old 12-31-16, 08:31 PM
sch

Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 104 Posts
Had a collarbone and acromial fx early '00s, collar bone healed in the 3-6 week timeframe, but the
acromion didn't show signs of new bone across the fx line til ~8 weeks. Able to ride the
recumbent two weeks after the wreck but no Tee shirt for ~4 weeks after the wreck and
only slip on shoes. Non fusion occasionally occurs and since the collarbone is really
important to shoulder function may need surgical fixation. It takes at least 4 months and
for some orthopedics MD 6-9 months to declare a nonunion. Persisting pain and
disability push you towards the earlier dates.
Old 01-17-17, 08:25 PM
sam83
On Two Wheels

Bikes: Moots Vamoots, Bianchi Volpe, 2 Salsa Casserolls (fixed & Triple), 2011 Salsa Chili Con Crosso, 1983 Schwinn Supersport, Schwinn Mesa MTB

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you need surgery, this is the guy. As a patient you will have his cell phone and he answers texts and emails. He did BOTH of mine, although they were only 1500-mile round trips for me. Best Orthopedic Surgeon in Houston | Sports Injury Doctor | Sanders Clinic He's a moderator on this forum Health & Fitness - ThumperTalk Good luck.
Old 01-18-17, 08:15 AM
dannwilliams
Its only pain

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
9 weeks out, I am back at work 4 hrs/day. 25# lifting restriction. Hip is coming along fine I believe. I do take Tylenol 2 or 3 times a day, depending how active and sore I get. Although yesterday only once. I struggle still to reach my toes on that side, so socks and shoes offers a bit of a challenge, but I manage. 3 more weeks until the next follow up. I am still concerned about the clavicle, as I have a physically demanding job. So if it is still not healing properly at that time I will ask to get it pinned or plated sooner rather than later.

I have hiked along the Kinnickinnic near my home for up to 2+ hrs. I have done a bit of "Suffering" to The Hunted and The Wretched with no problem.
Old 01-18-17, 09:31 AM
tmac100

Bikes: More bicycles than I can ride at one time: 2 custom made tourers, a Brompton 6-speed, and an Indian-made roadster.

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
don't rush it, be a good patient. well done so far, good luck!
DITTO!
When building my home in 1989 I fell and broke my collar bone in half. They had to put a 4" pin in it. At 6 weeks it was not fused. However after 3 months it was fused and the pin was removed (unscrewed with a wrench).

Fortunately I was not training, because in Manitoba it was winter and few folks bicycled outside.

Take your time healing, but heal properly. Your body will do what it will - but be really positive and eat healthy. What kind of a race are you really on, AND what is your rush? Heal properly and enjoy bicycling for the rest of your days. Otherwise you will have agony and poor performance for the rest of your (shorter) bicycling time on this planet.

This has been scribbled by a 68+ year old who is bicycling Cape York (Siesia to Cairns) this July- with no shortcuts. Google it. If it takes me 3 weeks, great. If it takes me 4 or 5 weeks, so what? longer just means more time to enjoy the trip. Like the saying goes: Don't substitute one rat race for another while you are on your bicycle tour. IOW, what's the rush?
Enjoy what time you have for you and your bicycle ...

Good luck with the healing - and with bicycling, after you are healthy enough to "give it".

FWIW, the doctor's comment at the end of this article says it all.. https://www.bbc.com/sport/wales/38649134
Again, get healthy first!

Last edited by tmac100; 01-18-17 at 01:00 PM.
Old 01-22-17, 05:21 AM
Gerryattrick
Beicwyr Hapus

Bikes: Genesis Equilibrium, Genesis Datum, Whyte 901 Dawes 701,1973 Harry Hall

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by tmac100
[B]
This has been scribbled by a 68+ year old who is bicycling Cape York (Siesia to Cairns) this July- with no shortcuts. Google it. If it takes me 3 weeks, great. If it takes me 4 or 5 weeks, so what? longer just means more time to enjoy the trip. Like the saying goes: Don't substitute one rat race for another while you are on your bicycle tour. IOW, what's the rush?
Enjoy what time you have for you and your bicycle ...
Looks like a great ride. Not wishing to derail the thread but what bike/tyres are you using for the trip.
Old 01-22-17, 09:44 AM
tmac100

Bikes: More bicycles than I can ride at one time: 2 custom made tourers, a Brompton 6-speed, and an Indian-made roadster.

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Gerryattrick
Looks like a great ride. Not wishing to derail the thread but what bike/tyres are you using for the trip.
Bike is a custom built with 48 spoke (PW hubs) 26" wheels and Schwalbe Marathon tires. Pic without front rack at Arvon Cycles "Expedition Grade" Touring Bike with S and S Couplings
Old 01-22-17, 11:05 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
Best wishes on a speedy recovery. Being off work and off the bike can be frustrating.

I finally got the OK from my doctor to go back riding after my recent surgery.

Alas, however, the weather has been less than cooperative.

Oh well.
Old 01-22-17, 11:20 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
Not to be a downer, but about 15 years ago, a friend of mine broke his collarbone and he basically lost the entire season because it kept not healing. On the other side of the coin, my doc broke his, got the plate, and did a 350-mile tour a few weeks later. I'd say, give it two more weeks and if it's not healing, get the plate!
This happened to me, and I did look into it. What could reasonably be expected, why the different medical recommendations and so on. This is what I discovered.

Given a non-union after several months, it's unlikely that the collarbone will ever "fuse on its own". In a small number of cases, it becomes a functional non-union, where you can function more or less normally without significant pain. Regardless of some opinions, that we don't really even need the full collarbone and functional means just fine, this is not an optimal result. We evolved with collarbones for a reason, as skeletal anchor points and to absorb shock, and it's better to have that than to not have it.

Many orthopedists are predisposed to just let that go, especially if you're an older patient who "doesn't really need" the collarbone to be fully joined. A pro football player for example, who needs to get back on the field right away is another story. An older or non-athletic person who is less likely to stress it, or to frequently fall and take significant impact, conservative treatment (doing nothing) may be preferred to ORIF (installing a plate). This is almost entirely dependent on the given orthopedist's philosophy and prejudices.

At only six weeks, you don't necessarily know that it won't heal on its own, and it is common to advise you to wait before considering surgery. But your odds are already much lower.

As an active, fairly athletic older patient I object to this whole paradigm, and the following is just to emphasize that diagnosis and recommendations vary according to who you ask and for reasons which they don't necessarily tell you. Logically, if a given "fix" is preferable for a professional athlete, then the ultimate result is better for the lesser athlete as well regardless of age or profession. I am obviously no doctor, so in this situation I sought a second opinion. It happened to be one who exclusively advised against ORIF regardless of separation, who didn't know and wasn't interested in the literature regarding the chances and circumstances of successful union. I sought a third opinion, a younger and more aggressive surgeon, who agreed that there was little chance of it eventually healing and saw that as a problem.

I don't know anything about hip replacements, but healing from that perhaps you have time to monitor the clavicle healing and maybe it will heal on its own after a time, without delaying your overall recovery that much.
Old 02-16-17, 08:41 PM
dannwilliams
Its only pain

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Had the 12 week check last week. New X-rays on both the hip and clavicle. Hip is fine. Every day I come a little bit closer to it feeling normal, I'd say I am 85%-90% right now.Clavicle still not joined. It overlaps by 1 - 1.5 cm the doc said. He said it is in the delayed union state now. 3 months and a new x-ray will be taken. If it is still nonunion, surgery may be called for. Although if it doesn't cause problems or pain, just leave it. I am back doing a full day at work, meat dept. at Co$tco, so pretty exhausted by the time I get home. Need to build the endurance back. Amazing what this injury has done to me. I have over 150 miles on "the bike to nowhere" logged in the garage. I have also made it out on the winter bike a couple times. Looking forward to more nice weather on my days off to be able to get out more. Cycle On!
Old 02-16-17, 08:55 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
Originally Posted by JanMM
Best time of year to be sidelined, don't you think? No pain on the collarbone is a good thing. Good luck on the healing together.
Agreed about the time, but it is still a pain in the neck!
Old 02-16-17, 09:32 PM
look566 rider

Bikes: Waterford R33, 2019 Infinito, Gunnar Roadie, 1999 Colnago Tecnos, '04 Cannondale Optimo 800 & '51 Rudge Sports, Colnago Tecnos, Tom Kellogg Merlin..

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 140 Times in 41 Posts
Originally Posted by dannwilliams
Had the 12 week check last week. New X-rays on both the hip and clavicle. Hip is fine. Every day I come a little bit closer to it feeling normal, I'd say I am 85%-90% right now.Clavicle still not joined. It overlaps by 1 - 1.5 cm the doc said. He said it is in the delayed union state now. 3 months and a new x-ray will be taken. If it is still nonunion, surgery may be called for. Although if it doesn't cause problems or pain, just leave it. I am back doing a full day at work, meat dept. at Co$tco, so pretty exhausted by the time I get home. Need to build the endurance back. Amazing what this injury has done to me. I have over 150 miles on "the bike to nowhere" logged in the garage. I have also made it out on the winter bike a couple times. Looking forward to more nice weather on my days off to be able to get out more. Cycle On!

Good luck healing! You'll be back to normal stuff soon enough!

Broke my clavicle 12-28-16. Required surgery, titanium plate and 7 lag screws. Have been riding a little. Back to lifting weights (5 lbs baby!).
DSCF0004.jpg
Old 02-17-17, 07:24 AM
churnman

Bikes: 1986 Specialized Allez SE "Jim Merz" edition, Trek 750

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Perhaps this would be a good time to get a second opinion. A bone healing itself doesn't sound quite right. It can't hurt and the worst you will get is a different one.
Old 02-17-17, 08:30 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
"Although if it doesn't cause problems or pain, just leave it" - sometimes, but non-union clavicles are rarely asymptomatic. Sometimes patients later develop some pain, to varying degrees, some loss of function in shoulder mechanics, and more rarely damage to underlying structures, vascular for example.

Bear in mind that some clinicians diagnose a non-union after 4 months but most have it at 6 to 9 months.

There is no hard and fast medical rule for ORIF vs just leave it, and it's ultimately your own decision.
Old 02-17-17, 03:30 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Bah, just have this installed.Stronger and lighter than the original. (Sorry I didn't wait until the first of April to post this.)