Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Paceline Speed = Solo Speed + X

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Paceline Speed = Solo Speed + X

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-17, 02:08 PM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

Bikes: Emonda SL6

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5721 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Thanks everyone.. I think I'll start conservative and only assume a benefit of ~2mph for now, and adjust if needed when I pick the next ride. Seems to me that hills are a question. I'm not very strong on hills so while guys on the paceline might only drop 2-3mph for a given gradient, I might drop more than this. Going down the hills.. not as big of a factor, as that becomes more an issue of what is dared.
There's no shame in latching on to a group of people going faster than you're capable of holding and then dropping off the back to do your own thing once you pop. That's how you get stronger, and 95% of the time if it's people you don't know, they won't even notice that you went off the back.

If you're doing rides at 18mph solo over rolling terrain for ~50 miles, you should be fine hanging on to a group averaging ~22mph, assuming it's a big group so you get plenty of recovery time after rotating to the front.

If you're worried about popping, you can also just opt out of the rotation, though you should be clear with the other riders that this is your intent so they don't sit on your wheel wondering why you're not pulling up the side.
Old 02-24-17, 02:23 PM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 94 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan333SP
It's hard to get a Harley to sustain speeds in excess of 30 mph.
Old 02-24-17, 02:26 PM
Stratocaster

Bikes: 2015 CAAD 10; 2016 Felt Z85

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I think we can all agree that it depends on the type of rims you're using.
Old 02-24-17, 02:45 PM
ptempel

Bikes: 2007 Ridley Excalibur, 2003 Orbea Orca, 199? Cannondale Headshock MTB hardtail

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
IME some riders are greyhounds, by which I mean that they tend to sustain higher speeds if they're chasing a rabbit. For them the rabbit doesn't have to break wind, just be out there to motivate them and have them dig a bit deeper to keep up the chase. So to all the factors of wind speed and direction, terrain and bike/rider aerodynamics we can add the non-quantifiable emotional/motivational factors, which for some riders can be very significant.
This was how I met a guy speeding by me on a 29er MTB. I thought, "how the h*ll is this dude doing that speed?" I reeled him in, but with a lot of help from a red light. I then say "hi" and look at his bike and see a battery on the downtube and a beefy bottom bracket. Aaaah, ebike. So the ebikers also make good rabbits but usually just have to let them go. Its all good since its one less car on the road.

To the OP, besides the weather and amount of people in the paceline (or group ride) I think the rider's skill level (fitness) makes a huge difference. A group of continental pros will be laying down a lot more power than a group of local weekend warriors. If you're getting paid to race your bike, then you better be fast.

Last edited by ptempel; 02-24-17 at 02:50 PM.
Old 02-24-17, 03:01 PM
Bikeracer123

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Roubaix Ultegra 2014 Cannondale Supersix Black inc

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan333SP
It's flat, okay maybe a little exaggerated but the pace is generally around 27-28 and consistently goes above 30 and will sustain

Last edited by Bikeracer123; 02-24-17 at 03:08 PM.
Old 02-24-17, 04:24 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I am guessing you're excluding the neutral rollout, regroups, ride back into town too.
Old 02-24-17, 06:19 PM
kbarch

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Honestly, if you happen to average 18 on your own, rides advertised at 20-22 should be a piece of cake, and 24 should be quite do-able. On my own I'm lucky to average more than 15, but I have done group rides averaging 23. But that's in large part because I'm lazy when I ride by myself.
Old 02-24-17, 06:36 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4739 Post(s)
Liked 1,533 Times in 1,004 Posts
To clarify, I'll average 18mph on the flats when I'm moving. Over the course of rides, stopping for lights, traffic, intersections, or snacks isn't a part of this. Up hills I suck wind.
Old 02-24-17, 07:01 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3891 Post(s)
Liked 1,940 Times in 1,385 Posts
I think the question, more properly stated, should be how much faster in a paceline than solo for the same effort. My go-to guess when I'm moving up the line is that to hold the effort the same for the drafters, my HR on the front should be ~10 beats higher than when I was 3rd wheel. This assumes riding on the usual shoulderless road and taking ~3-minute pulls, not a rolling paceline. Rolling pacelines are easy because you can just hold the speed. Longer pulls are harder to judge because the terrain and wind is usually changing.

Which doesn't answer the question at all and it's going to vary depending on the speed of the paceline because of the speed cubed factor. So it won't just be simply *X. It also depends on how big the rider in front of you is. At usual club speeds, I think 2-3 mph on the flat.
Old 02-24-17, 07:42 PM
Bikeracer123

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Roubaix Ultegra 2014 Cannondale Supersix Black inc

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
I am guessing you're excluding the neutral rollout, regroups, ride back into town too.
We roll out and warm up for about 6 miles and then it starts, people attack and break away. People get dropped and it is up to them to get back to the group, usually by taking short cut roads. Their is one rest stop at a gas station. The ride finishes on a sprint then every one rides home. I just sit in and hang on for dear life
Old 02-24-17, 07:45 PM
VNA

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Who cares what ever speed--JUST ENJOY!
Old 02-24-17, 08:24 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by VNA
Who cares what ever speed--JUST ENJOY!
Riding in a group is fun. You will go farther and faster than you could ever go by yourself, and if it's a hard ride, you'll push yourself harder than you could ever do by yourself. So, it's natural to wonder if you could hang on with a particular group.
Old 02-24-17, 08:44 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
It sound like the real question is: 'will I be able to hang with a group riding X pace?'.

IME, it depends on hills- especially the smaller ones.

If the group is stronger than you, a few rollers can leave you alone with your thoughts.
Old 02-24-17, 11:23 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3891 Post(s)
Liked 1,940 Times in 1,385 Posts
Originally Posted by woodcraft
It sound like the real question is: 'will I be able to hang with a group riding X pace?'.

IME, it depends on hills- especially the smaller ones.

If the group is stronger than you, a few rollers can leave you alone with your thoughts.
It is an absolute kick. I was the weak rider and eventually became the leader. My advice to newbies who were getting dropped on the little hills: "Hang on to that last wheel until the blood spurts from your eyesockets." 'Cause once it's gone, you'll never get it back. That's what you gotta do to learn to get fast. I rode the last 20 miles or so solo countless times. Now I just ride tandem with my wife and that's fun, too. We have a century tomorrow, 8am. We'll probably be DFL. Bunch of young rando kids . . .
Old 02-25-17, 12:14 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Local to me, there are a couple of club rides on Saturdays and Sundays where the "A group" does a 40-60 mile circuit with 1,500-2,000ft of climbing in there, and the group typically averages 17-18mph overall-- average being the end of the day average-- speed on the flats would be 21-23mph. I've never gone, but all I can imagine is that for a so-called A-group, it must be a very social affair, because I average the same speed over the same circuit riding it solo.

The very limited amount of time I've spent in pacelines I have found to be absurdly easy. In the middle of a line of just 4-5 bikes, maintaining 25mph on the flats takes even me barely 175W.