Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Anti-ageing Exercise -- HIIT!

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-17, 04:30 PM
work4bike

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3777 Post(s)
Liked 1,047 Times in 791 Posts

Here's a new article on how HIIT actually helps to keep your cells young. It's not that I believe the article/studies making these claim; rather I know that HIIT has had this effect on me. The idea that easy riding/running or whatever is beneficial exercise (in absence of HIIT) is just wrong, at least in my case/experience.

https://www.newscientist.com/article...rval-training/

Mitochondrial activity declines with age, which may aggravate fatigue and reduce the size and ability of muscles to burn excess blood sugar – a risk factor for diabetes. But this decline was halted and even reversed in the older interval-training group. “After three months of interval training, everything converged towards what we saw in young people,” says Nair.
Old 03-09-17, 04:54 PM
Kindaslow

Bikes: SWorks Stumpy, Haibike Xduro RX, Crave SS

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
I believe in interval training, but I really overdid it a couple of years ago and my body went into a panic like mode and I got very sick (my bloodworms to was completely out of norm). Now, I took it down a notch and my body is much happier.
Old 03-09-17, 05:11 PM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
I knew this rang a bell. Caught my attention reading this Times article.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/01/w...-possible.html
Old 03-09-17, 05:23 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
But that research only compares 2 regimens: HIIT and weights. It doesn't compare HIIT to something like 1 or 2 hours of moderate cardio (e.g. moderate biking).

I'm not saying HIIT isn't effective (I'm sure it is), just wondering how it stacks up to other things.
Old 03-09-17, 06:37 PM
VNA

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
The most important factor to age well is to choose the right set of parents!
The rest is incidental with "possibly some" effect!
Good luck to all.
Old 03-09-17, 07:43 PM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
Originally Posted by tyrion
But that research only compares 2 regimens: HIIT and weights. It doesn't compare HIIT to something like 1 or 2 hours of moderate cardio (e.g. moderate biking).

I'm not saying HIIT isn't effective (I'm sure it is), just wondering how it stacks up to other things.
I hear ya. At my age, cardio is king. Anything else is icing on the cake.
Old 03-09-17, 08:06 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by Kindaslow
I believe in interval training, but I really overdid it a couple of years ago and my body went into a panic like mode and I got very sick (my bloodworms to was completely out of norm). Now, I took it down a notch and my body is much happier.
I'd choose good bloodwork over good bloodworms.
Old 03-09-17, 08:09 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts

Good point.
Old 03-09-17, 08:48 PM
gear64

Bikes: State Black Label All Road, Univega Gran Premio, Lotus Classique, Terranaut Metro

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 62 Posts
Doing just fine with an everything in moderation approach.
Old 03-09-17, 10:02 PM
Kindaslow

Bikes: SWorks Stumpy, Haibike Xduro RX, Crave SS

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by JanMM
I'd choose good bloodwork over good bloodworms.
Typing on my phone, no glasses, and autocorrect can be interesting!
Old 03-09-17, 11:24 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,699 Times in 2,519 Posts
Friel has some citations in "fast over 50" that provide evidence that HIIT is better at maintaining performance than more moderate approaches. Of course, losing top-end speed is not that big a deal for cyclists who are just out to have fun. And he points out that people that are doing moderate exercise are losing fitness at a much slower rate than people that aren't exercising at all. Like most of his books, it's mostly just a pep talk. If you want a training plan, you have to go elsewhere.

I am doing a fairly high intensity approach right now using trainerroad. We'll see how it works out. I think I'm still young enough at 58 to get to a significantly higher level of fitness than where I have gotten over the last couple of years. Although it's definitely tougher now than it was 20 years ago.
Old 03-10-17, 06:47 AM
work4bike

Originally Posted by bobwysiwyg
I knew this rang a bell. Caught my attention reading this Times article.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/01/w...-possible.html
That's a little bit different than what I'm referring to, but I know the issue of what your link addresses and I don't accept it. That's to say, I don't agree that only doing HIIT training a few minutes every day is all one needs and steady-state exercise is useless <<< I don't agree with that. That NYT article reminded me of this PBS special, which I'm totally against Michael Mosley because one also needs those long sessions of low/moderate intensity workouts.

My only point, is that if one wants true health, especially that of cardio health, then incorporating HIIT into your w/o regimen is crucial.

Last edited by work4bike; 03-10-17 at 06:59 AM.
Old 03-10-17, 06:56 AM
work4bike

That's because this is an ongoing look at the benefits of HIIT. There are other studies that show the benefits of Aerobic vs Anaerobic exercise. The reason why this article is looking at the comparison between HIIT cardio and Weight training is because they are both the basic same, in that they are both Anaerobic forms of exercise.

Here is one study that shows a comparison between HIIT and moderate exercise. https://www.unm.edu/~lkravitz/Articl...oderateEx.html

Regardless of the variation of methods used to report exercise intensities, a consistent pattern appeared with the findings. All of the epidemiology studies that controlled for energy expenditure found greater cardioprotective benefits from the higher aerobic exercise intensities as compared to the moderate aerobic exercise intensities. As a matter of fact, no epidemiological study reported a greater cardioprotective benefit from moderate intensity versus vigorous aerobic exercise. The clinical studies showed very similar results. When energy expenditure was controlled for in the study, the vigorous exercise intensity was more beneficial in altering one or more risk factors to coronary heart disease. Specifically, in relation to the coronary heart disease, the #1 cause of mortality in America, aerobic exercise of a more vigorous type resulted in lower incidence.

There are things that Anaerobic exercise does to your body at a cellular level that just doesn't happen at doing exercise at 50 - 70% of your max HR. That's one reason why no matter how much aerobic cardio exercise one does, it will never increase you anaerobic capacity; however, anaerobic exercise WILL improve your aerobic capacity.

Old 03-10-17, 07:11 AM
churnman

Bikes: 1986 Specialized Allez SE "Jim Merz" edition, Trek 750

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Started intervals on a stationary bike at the gym 3 weeks ago and I have found my resting heart rate is lower and my recovery time after intervals has decreased.
Old 03-11-17, 03:32 AM
ModeratedUser17082018

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Where I live, the hills provide and require some HIIT. Some people cannot do HIIT for health reasons. For me, long moderate exercise is best and far better than nothing. Uh-oh; another hill up ahead!
Old 03-11-17, 06:36 AM
DaveQ24

Bikes: Enough plus 1

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I've been doing the same boot camp 3x a week for about 5 years. The format gets switched up every 6 months or so to keep it interesting. Our cardio day is now HIIT. I definitely have more endurance and increased my overall speed. However I also dropped about 20 lbs since that change back in October - so obviously not a single-factor controlled experiment. Probably some of both.
Old 03-11-17, 12:06 PM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
I'm not much for believing the longevity aspect of this but will certainly vouch for interval training AND hills. Both are vital to training for performance. I love being able to ride a fast section and see improvement. Also helps me drop old ladies and children on the bikepath.
Old 03-11-17, 01:50 PM
peterws

Bikes: Carrera Virtuoso and friend

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 38 Posts
I've developed an addiction to The Trip, a Les Mills training course. $% minutes hard work, many full on sessions interspaced with recovery (never enough lol) and . . I'm safe from cars, dogs, potholes . . .but not women. They beat me on the road, they beat me in the Gym. And -
I have to resist every one of their advances. In my dreams . .
Old 03-11-17, 05:55 PM
IronM

Bikes: Fuji Transonic, Ridley Excalibur, Foundry Overland, Niner EMD

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 16 Posts
I personally think it's keeping young has to do with a lot of things coming together: High intensity riding balanced with easy, fueled with healthy diet and lifestyle choices, stress management and plenty of rest. My racing age is 53 and I really don't think I'm old at all. However, my older brother manages diet & stress extremely well, is active but does zero high intensity anything. He actually comes across younger than I am and is aging exceptionally well. So HIIT is probably not everything. But for an average Joe like me, HIIT used in a balanced formula that seems to be working well enough
Old 03-11-17, 06:43 PM
churnman

Bikes: 1986 Specialized Allez SE "Jim Merz" edition, Trek 750

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
There are things that Anaerobic exercise does to your body at a cellular level that just doesn't happen at doing exercise at 50 - 70% of your max HR. That's one reason why no matter how much aerobic cardio exercise one does, it will never increase you anaerobic capacity; however, anaerobic exercise WILL improve your aerobic capacity.

I always thought that a mix of the 2 were best. Aerobic exercise is better for producing endorphins and a feeling of good will I believe.
Old 03-12-17, 07:10 AM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1393 Post(s)
Liked 1,329 Times in 837 Posts
Originally Posted by churnman
I always thought that a mix of the 2 were best. Aerobic exercise is better for producing endorphins and a feeling of good will I believe.
I am in your camp.

Fortunately, everything from stair climbing at work to walking/jogging/biking up the hills around home has given me at least some anaerobic exercise, although I probably need to step up my interval game a bit.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 03-14-17, 05:44 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
HIIT didn't help Bob Harper.
Bob Harper goes back to 'square one' on treadmill after heart attack - TODAY.com
Maye his case is a good example of extremes in anything being bad for you.
Old 03-14-17, 06:50 AM
work4bike

Bob Harper is screwed by genetics. If it weren't for his exercise regimen he'd be in much worse shape.
Old 03-14-17, 06:56 AM
work4bike

Originally Posted by churnman
I agree, I'm not saying one should only do anaerobic and no aerobic, that'd be a death sentence -- you'd kill yourself.

I'm just saying, from experience (not just all the research) that it does give one a completely different level of health, especially as we age.

However, it's still important for me to be able to do the much longer, steady-state exercise, which, BTW, I've found are much easier done with a well conditioned anaerobic capacity.
Old 03-14-17, 04:02 PM
RockiesDad

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Kindaslow
This got me thinking, how much is too much especially with our bodies aging??? This wouldn't be a problem in our 20-30s but need to be careful more so now. Getting sick is one thing but getting a heart attack due to too high intensity would be a whole different ball game.

So how does everyone gage where their limits are? It going to be different for everyone I know but just wondering what are some signs to look for as we reach our physical limits?

I think for me it might be total phyical exhaustion after a long ride where I can't do anything for the rest of the day. Haven't reached that point yet so I think I can push a little bit more but I did get close when I first got back into cycling. Had to take a nap for a few hours and my whole body ached for a couple of days after...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.