Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Gas, Gashol, Alcohol or Diesel, & Alternative Powered Bicycles

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Gas, Gashol, Alcohol or Diesel, & Alternative Powered Bicycles

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-23, 10:05 AM
Rick_D

Bikes: Litespeed Firenze, Spot Acme, Specialzed S Works Pro Race, Davidson Stiletto, Colnago Superissimo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 302 Times in 173 Posts
Originally Posted by Snale123
I've seen these gas powered bikes all over socal. They seemed dangerous to ride.
Same. They're all very sketchy collections of parts, the ones I see. IDK if they're 2 or 4-stroke but they smoke like crazy, like trashed yard equipment (and let's give a shout out to the 2-stroke leaf blasters sweeping the dust from our late-summer gutters into our passing faces).
Old 09-04-23, 06:23 AM
FREEBIRD1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 106 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by Rick_D
Same. They're all very sketchy collections of parts, the ones I see. IDK if they're 2 or 4-stroke but they smoke like crazy, like trashed yard equipment (and let's give a shout out to the 2-stroke leaf blasters sweeping the dust from our late-summer gutters into our passing faces).

I put these together as a motorized hobby at first, never thought they would be any good., the higher quality Zeda kits changed my mind. If you have some mechanical knowledge , and assemble them properly they are very reliable, I have several thousand miles on some of mine. I use smokeless 2 stroke oil, and the stock exhaust and they are actually pretty quiet. I've had people tell me that's a cool e bike. They are-what-they-are, I have mine as a fun type item, and have let several friends use them for a while, and they love the things. They are completely self contained, no real electronics, charger or support equipment needed, they will run in hot/cold temperatures, they are much like early motorcycles (which derived from bicycles). I actually get some exercise with them as well, I pedal in areas that will not tolerate them, than kick the motor on to get home. There are definitely some jenky set-ups out there, and some hoologans that ride them.
Likes For FREEBIRD1:
Old 09-08-23, 11:14 PM
dayco

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
"I actually get some exercise with them as well, I pedal in areas that will not tolerate them, than kick the motor on to get home."

Me too.

I built a homemade belt driven, rear mounted, gas powered motorized bicycle around a Lifan 139f engine. I travel mostly the roads but also pedal with the engine off when necessary. I just reached a 1000 miles without any major problems. I thought about building an e-bike but the cost of a decent size battery and charger alone was prohibitive. I'm retired and costs matter.

I can pull start my g-bike but can also pedal start it. I have to pedal from stops and around some corners/hills, so I do get exercise. My legs and knees can't take constant pedaling anymore. I'm disappointed that bike trails won't allow my gas powered g-bike when I only produce the same hp and speed as a class-1 e-bike which they allow.

I still have my car and license but they're expensive and boring. Bicycles thankfully still have legal right of way on most streets and roads and my g-bike is just a motorized bicycle. It's fun and economical getting around town on my g-bike. Hang in there.

Last edited by dayco; 09-08-23 at 11:21 PM.
Likes For dayco:
Old 09-20-23, 08:10 AM
dayco

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
I posted my homemade g-bike on an air-cooled VW Beetle site. (I also have an old air-cooled Beetle)

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/vi...780880&start=0
Likes For dayco: