Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Maino Super Campionissimo First Test Ride

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-17, 04:06 PM
Pogliaghi

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 21 Posts

Well I finally got to do an installation lap or two on the Maino for the first time today. I have changed a couple of parts out 1) Removed the seat post as it is just too rare to get more scratched however it goes back for display purposes. 2) Original saddle was torn so I sent it to rhm (Rudy) for new leather with original Maino stampings etc 3) Found a crack in the GMA (Maino) chain ring and on closer inspection it had clearly been repaired once before. It is alloy and I do not want to destroy this piece so replaced it with a steel 46 ring. I wish I could afford to get a replica chainring made but the price is prohibitive. So like the seatpost it will go back on for display purposes. Ride was only about 3 miles or so on asphalt and gravel. Bike is extremely stable (as one might expect) and seemed absolutely rock solid during the hands off test, so stable it felt like it was on rails. Yes it does not change direction very quickly but that is also expected. I put a bit of pedal power into the bike and it accelerated at a decent pace and felt great. As I rode I wondered when the bike was last ridden like this - hey I even ended up with some gravel in my shoes :-) The Vittoria Margherita shifted okay considering my fumbling around, however the lever did slip a couple of times so there will have to be a bit of an adjustment there. Actually I could probably loose one link in the chain to make things a little smoother. GREAT FUN! Man I really appreciate the abilities of the great riders of the past!!!