Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Uniglide

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-23, 03:08 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,868 Times in 1,439 Posts
Uniglide

I hope this doesn't come across as something that belongs on the sales forum. It definitely skews that way, but I'm genuinely asking for advice and not trying to solicit a sale.

I discovered last night that a bike I recently bought has a 6-speed Shimano Uniglide cassette with a corresponding Shimano hub laced to 27" Aray rims. I don't generally keep 27" wheels, and I've decided recently that the hassle of shipping wheels makes it not worth it to me to try to give or sell them to anyone who can't pick them up in person. I know someone will be interested in at least the cassette, so I was thinking I'd sell it, but it seems like without the cassette the hubs/wheels become very nearly useless. Is that true? Would anyone want these hubs even with the cassette? They're in pretty good shape and spin smoothly, but recent eBay sales seem to suggest that there is more interest in the cassettes than the hubs. Would a local bike co-op be likely to want the complete wheels with or without the cassette? (I try not to give them things that they'd consider useless.)

Basically, I don't want these things, and I'm trying to figure out in what combination they'd be most useful to someone else.
Old 02-08-23, 03:33 PM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1873 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
I might get skewered (see what I did there?), but I've been delacing 27" rims from hubs I want to keep. The combo of hubs and the cassette might be more interesting to people.
Likes For shoota:
Old 02-08-23, 03:35 PM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2155 Post(s)
Liked 3,406 Times in 1,206 Posts
Much depends on the model & condition of hub and the cog sizes on the cassette.
Lots of folks still using UG equipment and they tend to be ones who build their own wheels.
Having said that, might be better to offer them as a pay it forward.
Old 02-08-23, 03:39 PM
Andy_K 

Originally Posted by shoota
I might get skewered (see what I did there?), but I've been delacing 27" rims from hubs I want to keep.
With few exceptions, I think that's entirely reasonable. In my case, I even think it's possible the local co-op might rather have the rims alone than the rims with these hubs.

Originally Posted by shoota
The combo of hubs and the cassette might be more interesting to people.
I should have mentioned that these are the "early" Uniglide hubs discussed here: https://www.sheldonbrown.com/k7.html#uniglide-old

But I suppose I could keep the hubs and cassette together and let the next steward decide what they want to do with the hubs.
Old 02-08-23, 03:52 PM
Andy_K 

Originally Posted by rccardr
Much depends on the model & condition of hub and the cog sizes on the cassette.
Lots of folks still using UG equipment and they tend to be ones who build their own wheels.
Having said that, might be better to offer them as a pay it forward.
Recent eBay sales suggest the cassette alone could recoup my $50 investment in the bike. I wonder if I could make room in the Box O' Crap for the hubs?

The cassette is 13-28, which I was a bit excited about when I thought it was a freewheel. Then I went to remove it, and I'm looking at it thinking, "There's no way I can get a removal tool in there." Then it dawned on me what it was. This is my first experience with Uniglide. I was really surprised how easily it came apart. The bike is rusty and has a build-up of garage grime in various places, but apart from the headset all the bearings were smooth and nothing was stuck. It seems this was that rare beast that was well-used but properly maintained before falling into an extended period of garage residency.
Old 02-08-23, 04:00 PM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 701 Posts
13-28 is actually pretty desirable. I may be interested, in fact. I know folks also take a file to a modern hyperglide cassette to use the UG hubs, so it's not necessarily a dead end to have to keep the UG freehub body.
Likes For noobinsf:
Old 02-08-23, 04:03 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1952 Post(s)
Liked 2,013 Times in 1,112 Posts
13-28 is very useable. Did I miss the picture of this bike?
Old 02-08-23, 04:11 PM
Andy_K 

Originally Posted by Classtime
Did I miss the picture of this bike?
I buried it in the Stella bike thread,

I basically bought it for the crankset. I'm thinking my three-year old grandson might grow into it by the time I get around to cleaning up the frame.

There was also this oddity on the (25.9mm!) seatpost.

I'm not sure that minimum insertion line is trustworthy. Judging from the saddle height of the bike when I bought it, the previous owner decided to play it safe.
Old 02-08-23, 04:17 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Great way to presell a uniglide cassette and build up buyer interest, .

There are all sorts of ways to get that wheel to work even once you've sold off the 13-28 uniglide cassette; you've likely seen this before,
https://www.sheldonbrown.com/k7.html
Old 02-08-23, 04:24 PM
Andy_K 

Originally Posted by bikemig
Great way to presell a uniglide cassette and build up buyer interest, .

Anyway, I don't think I'd be able to get my $50 back from the cheapskates that hang out on this forum. I'm sure I could find someone here to take this off my hands though.

Originally Posted by bikemig
There are all sorts of ways to get that wheel to work even once you've sold off the 13-28 uniglide cassette; you've likely seen this before,
https://www.sheldonbrown.com/k7.html
Yeah, I re-read it today, in fact. I was thinking I'd take a stab at transplanting an HG freehub body onto the hub, but Sheldon says it isn't possible with these particular hubs. Beyond that, there seems to be a bit of a gap between what Sheldon would have done to keep old bike parts useful and what a reasonable person would be willing to do.
Old 02-08-23, 04:26 PM
Andy_K 

This is the hub in question.

Old 02-08-23, 10:04 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3811 Post(s)
Liked 6,714 Times in 2,613 Posts
You know, I have that same hub laced to an arc en ciel tubular rim. It’s been hanging in the basement for 20 years. Geez, I have too much stuff.
Likes For nlerner:
Old 02-09-23, 12:28 AM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,024 Times in 989 Posts
Uniglide: either dirt cheap can't-give-it-away-ever status or pearls on eBay. Another vote for keeping the hub and cassette together. Hubs look like they'll clean up well, so if the rims are tired looking--especially the spokes or nipples--all the more incentive to disassemble. I have a 14-28 8-speed Uniglide cassette (the ONE YEAR Shimano did this, gahhhhhh) that uses a 7/8-speed spec'd first position cog to lock everything down. Finding a 13T is a not too difficult, but you know, it's only "one better." I want two better. 12T? Unicorn. Or eBay darling. Great.
Old 02-09-23, 03:01 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2485 Post(s)
Liked 2,956 Times in 1,679 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy_K
There was also this oddity on the (25.9mm!) seatpost.

I'm not sure that minimum insertion line is trustworthy. Judging from the saddle height of the bike when I bought it, the previous owner decided to play it safe.
Perhaps a previous owner (or the shop where the bike was bought) found that the seat post would not insert fully into the seat tube. The seat tube might need to be reamed/honed.

That, or the seat post is the wrong diameter. Either way, the seat post was likely hacksawed to the length necessary to fit the rider. It certainly wasn't manufactured with the min. insertion line so close to the end of the post.
Old 02-09-23, 05:33 AM
bark_eater 

Bikes: Road ready: 1993 Koga Miyata City Liner Touring Hybrid, 1989 Centurion Sport DLX, "I Blame GP" Bridgestone CB-1. Projects: Yea, I got a problem....

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked 737 Times in 422 Posts
This is the hub in question.

There's enough thread on the freehub body to run 5 cogs, but I cant remember if these are re-spaceable to 120mm.
Old 02-09-23, 10:41 AM
Andy_K 

Originally Posted by Trakhak
Perhaps a previous owner (or the shop where the bike was bought) found that the seat post would not insert fully into the seat tube. The seat tube might need to be reamed/honed.

That, or the seat post is the wrong diameter. Either way, the seat post was likely hacksawed to the length necessary to fit the rider. It certainly wasn't manufactured with the min. insertion line so close to the end of the post.
I think someone cut it down to save weight. Even after the cut it's almost 24 cm long, and it weighs 300 grams. Clearly the previous owner didn't need a long seat post. The cut is very clean, so whoever did it knew what they were doing.
Old 02-09-23, 05:48 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Is that a pista stem? Seems to angle downward more than your typical quill stem.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 02-09-23, 07:46 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1955 Post(s)
Liked 3,661 Times in 1,679 Posts
Iove those hubs. I build cassettes for them by modifying hyperglide cogs. Just got to have the last cog.
Likes For 52telecaster:
Old 02-09-23, 08:55 PM
Andy_K 

Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
Is that a pista stem? Seems to angle downward more than your typical quill stem.
​​​​​​It does look that way, doesn't it?

I don't know. It's a Pivo stem, but I don't know anything about them