Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Univega Model Information

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-23, 07:22 AM
zl123

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello!
I was gifted a vintage bike in rough condition.
I looked it over and have concluded that it's a Univega Activa-ST with a Chromoly Steel frame.
My current plan is to restore and paint the frame only, and then scrap the rest of the components.
Therefore, when I purchase parts I'll need to know what will fit.

I was hoping someone could point me to a website or archive with good, specific information on this model.
I have read other threads here on vintage Univega bikes but can not find useful links.

Thank you.
Old 05-19-23, 06:01 PM
CO_Hoya 
Señor Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 299 Times in 150 Posts
Pic assist.

Not sure that it’s worth your time/money to repaint; a wash and wax should get it back to good shape. That seat, however . . .

Old 05-19-23, 08:07 PM
Clang

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
Liked 2,255 Times in 1,311 Posts
The problem with repainting and buying new components for a low-end bike is that you will spend a lotof effort and money and end up with a freshened up bike that at its core still has a low-end frame. Moreover, it's a frame that you haven't ridden and don't know you like, so you can't know if it'll be worth all the hassle. If this was your old trusty bike that you know you love, then this sort of project can totally be worth it.

My advice is fix and replace enough stuff to get it rideable. Once you put miles on it, you'll know what you want out of it later. Cosmetics are secondary until then.
Likes For Clang:
Old 05-22-23, 01:06 PM
zl123

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I understand but my plan is to do what I said above. I'm hoping someone can point me to the exact catalogue or at least the year of this bike if they know it
Old 05-22-23, 03:12 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2364 Post(s)
Liked 1,750 Times in 1,192 Posts
For some reason, there are almost no scanned Univega catalogs online. Hard to say for sure from a non-drive-side photo, but the bike may well be mostly original, so that may be your best source of information about the specs. Not sure why it matters, however, if you're planning on not using any of the components. BTW, before you scrap them, at least some are in demand, most particularly those thumb shifters.
Old 05-22-23, 03:19 PM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 701 Posts
This thread has some links that will probably lead you to the right catalog. It looks like an early 90's bike, and it looks like a 1992 catalog is available in that thread. https://www.retrobike.co.uk/threads/...logues.193967/

Univegas of that era and the 1980's are generally good quality bikes, but this model is nothing special, so you're unlikely to find any discussion leading to exact components etc. The good news is that because of its time period and the relative standardization at that point, you can mix and match components pretty easily, so there is no need to stick to stock components (provided you can even find them or would want them when you do). Having painted a frame myself, I'll just throw my .02 in and say that the advice above is worth considering -- get the bike to a state where you can try it first and then decide on the plan. When you replace cables, housing, etc., leave some extra length so you can swap in different bars after you have some miles and have some idea of how you want to modify it. Noodling with bikes is fun; welcome to the club...
Likes For noobinsf:
Old 05-22-23, 07:45 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Looks like a Power Oval frame, which puts it into the early 1990s. I'm not sure the fancypants tapered/flattened frame tubing acomplished anything, but it's nifty. My 1992-93 Via Carisma has the Power Oval frame, plus the wonderfully awful splattertastic paint.

Yours probably originally came with a Shimano Exage group, maybe the 500 CX or comparable. Good mid-tier group, comparable to Deore (the 500 CX long cage RD and later Deore LX RD were virtually identical -- I have both).

I've considered scrounging around for an Activa from that era to build into a comfy city bike. My Via Carisma frame is a 59-60cm, just a wee bit too large for me. I've turned it into a city bike with upright swept handlebars but a slightly smaller frame would suit me better now. Ditto the 26" wheels from the Univega mountain bikes for fatter tires to tame the worsening pavement in my area. I can just barely squeeze 700x38 tires into my Via Carisma before the sidewall threatens to rub the front derailleur.
Old 05-22-23, 08:11 PM
Schweinhund

Bikes: a couple

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 563 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 456 Posts
Originally Posted by zl123
Hello!
I was gifted a vintage bike in rough condition.
I looked it over and have concluded that it's a Univega Activa-ST with a Chromoly Steel frame.
My current plan is to restore and paint the frame only, and then scrap the rest of the components.
Therefore, when I purchase parts I'll need to know what will fit.

I was hoping someone could point me to a website or archive with good, specific information on this model.
I have read other threads here on vintage Univega bikes but can not find useful links.

Thank you.
It's way more fun to just rat rod them.
Make it yours. I have four rockhoppers, 2 rat rods 2 all original. I have much more fun on the two rods because I'm not all emotionally invested in "Original Equipment" I can replace it.
Got a Trek 6000, there is nothing left from original. Just the paint.
Build it. Screw conforming to oem. If you need help finding parts, come back here and someone will help.
This is one of mine, only the frame and fork are original

Here's another, only the frame and fork left from OEM

This Trek 6000 I bought as a frame at a yard sale for 5 bucks. Picked up a donor bike with a ruined frame on the cheap.

Anyway, the point is, make it yours.
Old 05-22-23, 08:22 PM
Schweinhund

Here, as a bit of encouragement you get a first glance at a new build.
It's a Marin Eldridge Grade, wheels are Mavic 221's with black Deore DX Parallax hubs.
Tioga headset and WTB stem

Last edited by Schweinhund; 05-22-23 at 08:26 PM.
Old 05-23-23, 07:04 AM
zl123

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
@Schweinhund Looks great! Not looking for original equipment but trying to see what will fit.
@noobinsf I thought it might be a '93 based on these catalogues with the Activa Sport Model in the '93: www .mtb-news.de/forum/t/univega-im-classic-bereich-kataloge-infos-bilder.929059/page-3#post-17649096
But I'm wondering what ST stands for. Sport Something...

FYI I'm having trouble with quote replies so I'm kinda just responding to everyone in a regular reply
Old 05-23-23, 07:46 AM
Schweinhund

Looks great! Not looking for original equipment but trying to see what will fit.
Well then that's simple. bicycles are built to take commodity parts. Depending on when it was manufactured, it was built with what was available at the time.

So I randomly chose a metro area. opened craigslist, went to bicycles and set my search parameters, 0 to 50 bucks.
This is what you can buy in Portland for 50 or less.
Most of the parts from this will fit yours.

https://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/...624269820.html

There's a trek 850 for 50 bucks, the brakes, derailleurs, shifting and more will fit your bike

https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/...624218974.html

A Raleigh C-30 for 25 bucks. literally everything would fit your bike. and it's in great shape.
https://portland.craigslist.org/clc/...623207686.html

This is portland, there may be better cheap bikes in your area.
Old 05-23-23, 07:47 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1143 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 965 Posts
I like those frames, I though they were under built from the start. Underbuilt but still solid with Shimano. I had the Alpina, probably the same frame, mine was equipped with Alivio 3x7 group with gripshift. Certainly it can be built with other stuff but it probably won't be 'better' just different.

Paint, it's your bike, do as thou will. Good paint takes time, effort, and money. Most rattle can is ok but not very durable. Epoxy paints cost more are good but need better venting and handling. Spraygun is good but again that paint can be great but will cost you a good penny.

Have thought about powdercoat? I've never done that but many do that route very successfully.
Old 05-23-23, 09:47 AM
zl123

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wanted to go this route
instructables .com/Restore-an-Old-Bicycle/
Old 05-23-23, 10:47 AM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,047 Posts
My similar UNIVEGA was the touring model. It was my favorite when I weighed considerable more then now and needed a strong ChroMo frame for ridding. For me the UNIVEGA's are proven. All the different type bikes I have seen made my UNIVEGA have been strong and reliable, with durable components. As far as being able to get an exact date and place of manufacture from the serial number, good luck. It may not happen. But that should not keep you from enjoying a GREAT RIDE...

Here is a link to making UNIVEGA decals that you may want to use in the future: https://www.bikeforums.net/22525491-post125.html

I am one of those guys who rides torn up asphalt and light gravely type roads. I need a thick protective paint job on my bikes so I no longer rattle can or spray paint my bikes. Instead, I do hand brush painting of Rustolium Oil Based Enamel. You might want to consider this if you repaint your bicycle: https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...ush-paint.html

Last edited by zandoval; 05-23-23 at 10:59 AM.
Old 05-23-23, 11:21 AM
Schweinhund

Wanted to go this route
Link assistance
https://www.instructables.com/Restore-an-Old-Bicycle/

Do you get overwhelmed easily? No? jump in.
Yes, then one step at a time.
Proceed and have fun.
Old 05-23-23, 11:24 AM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,047 Posts
Looks like you already have a bike to ride but if not then get a new seat, new chain and clean, inspect, lube and ride! Or if urgent, duct tape the seat, lube and ride! What is most important is RIDE!

Each person has their preferences but if this were my bike my winter project would be...

Replace chain
Replace seat, Consider Bikearoo seat
Go to an alloy seat post if not alloy already
Replace inner chain ring with a 34T
Go to a Freewheel with a 34T bail out cog (Shimano MFTZ30 or 31)
Ensure you have a Long Cage Derailleur
Replace the bars
Consider Tektro side pull brakes
Go to Sunrace Down Tube shifters (or Stem Shifters)
Go to Contentment Ride Tour or Kenda 184 tires
Consider painting the frame with white enamel

But that's just me... Working on my own bikes is entertainment...

But not always cost effective... Ha
Old 05-23-23, 11:51 AM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2364 Post(s)
Liked 1,750 Times in 1,192 Posts
^^^^^^^ Except:
* Chain - CHECK - if beyond elongation limit, replace. If not, de-rust with Evaporust, clean, lube, re-install
* Brakes - calipers on a canti-pegged bike? Not my cuppa tea, anyway. A more "fitting" upgrade would be linear-pull / V-brakes
* Shifters - downtube shifters on an upright-bar commuter bike are NO fun. Stem shifters not much better. Those thumb shifters are among the most desired type; the perfect combination of hands-on-the bar shifting and simple no-spring no-pawl mechanicals

Overall, hard to tell from the one non-drive-side photo, but besides the consumables, what does this bike really need? The saddle, obviously. Ditch the dork disc. De-rust and possibly paint the handlebar (or replace with an aluminum bar). The frame finish actually looks quite good, and I see no obvious component damage. Most of what's in that instructables article is stuff that this bike appears not to need.

Last edited by madpogue; 05-23-23 at 11:55 AM.