Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Bike rack for 3 e-bikes

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Bike rack for 3 e-bikes

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-23, 08:47 AM
boggy

Bikes: 2018 Electra Townie Commute GO! 8i, 2019 Electra Townie GO! 7d, 2023 Cannondale Adventure Neo Allroad Speed

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Bike rack for 3 e-bikes

I am using Kuat Transfer 3 hitch mounted rack, and it has limitation of 40lb of weight per bike.

I have used it in the past to transport two full sized beach cruiser like e-bikes, that weight a total of 110lbs with batteries on, and I figure about 100lbs with batteries off.

Now I have purchased third e-bike that weight 60lbs with battery, so I figure it’s another 55lbs on rack without battery for a grand total of 155lbs of weight, which is above factory limit of 120lbs.

But I can tighten up two cargo straps secured to top
of tailgate with those vinyl covered hooks, that should take some load off, will that be enough to make up for the extra 35lbs of weight above factory limit?
Old 06-16-23, 09:11 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4359 Post(s)
Liked 4,000 Times in 2,669 Posts
The rack is first and foremost a safety device and if it fails it could be fatal to someone behind you. The new Thule Epos rack is designed with e-bikes in mind. If you remove the batteries and any easily removable extra weight and get it to 66lbs PER BIKE you have a great solution in that rack. I would always take off any unneeded weight when possible it is always better to be well within the limits then right up against them even though yes they probably test the racks to more weight but for longevity and durability I would rather not push it.

You can also get the rack with a light kit if you want to be even safer.

We have sold the EasyFolds for years and they were excellent for e-bikes but this new one seems to be the answer, they really listened to everything we have been saying and asking of them. They had a 3 bike version of that rack in Europe but they refused to sell it in the U.S. though they would have made a killing. This is hopefully way better than that one plus the addition of ABUS locks is excellent which means maybe possibly down the line we might see some Plus or X-Plus cylinders so you can key everything the same from the batteries and bike locks to the rack locks and so many other great locks.
Old 06-16-23, 09:20 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,585 Times in 2,344 Posts
the thule epos rack is 50lbs. be sure you can lift that weight. at least it's lighter than an 80lb bag of cement

all new considerations, even as Wifey I consider our aging cycling needs / wants. we really enjoyed renting them one day, last year
Old 06-16-23, 09:50 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 883 Post(s)
Liked 824 Times in 623 Posts
WE just procured a 1UP two bike rack for our MTB's (not "e") and it's fantastic. They were recommended by many friends and acquaintances. They have just released a "super" rack which should work for you. They won't be recommended by and store employees since they sell direct to consumer.
Old 06-16-23, 12:25 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Originally Posted by 2old
WE just procured a 1UP two bike rack for our MTB's (not "e") and it's fantastic. They were recommended by many friends and acquaintances. They have just released a "super" rack which should work for you. They won't be recommended by and store employees since they sell direct to consumer.
That may have been a subtle jab at me, I don't know but I actually am cool with 1UP. I like quality products, MUSA stuff and everything I have seen and hear has lead me to believe 1UP is good quality stuff.

I am unsure about a triple rack from them though, that would be my major pause. I can see they do doubles in the heavier duty stuff but not sure on triples for that weight.
Old 06-16-23, 12:26 PM
boggy

Bikes: 2018 Electra Townie Commute GO! 8i, 2019 Electra Townie GO! 7d, 2023 Cannondale Adventure Neo Allroad Speed

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
I think I figured it out. Instead of using questionable quality support straps on hooks holding on to tailgate, I will get heavy duty cargo straps with ratchets, and use soft loops to secure the hitch rack bars to roof cross bars with two sets of those straps. That will easily double or even triple the load capacity and allow me to transport three e-bikes with peace of mind. Because the bikes will be carried by two cargo straps and the hitch.
Old 06-16-23, 12:52 PM
2old

Originally Posted by veganbikes
That may have been a subtle jab at me, I don't know but I actually am cool with 1UP. I like quality products, MUSA stuff and everything I have seen and hear has lead me to believe 1UP is good quality stuff.

I am unsure about a triple rack from them though, that would be my major pause. I can see they do doubles in the heavier duty stuff but not sure on triples for that weight.
I'm not being selective in my statement. It seems as though many posters who work in or own bike shops are negative regarding direct-to-consumer items. Even the owner of my LBS, who I've known and supported for 25 years, didn't have much good to say about 1UP.
Old 06-16-23, 01:48 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Originally Posted by 2old
I'm not being selective in my statement. It seems as though many posters who work in or own bike shops are negative regarding direct-to-consumer items. Even the owner of my LBS, who I've known and supported for 25 years, didn't have much good to say about 1UP.
Because some of the D2C stuff isn't all that great or people come to us needing support and then get frustrated at us when the company won't provide help for the product they didn't get from us. Not specific to this product though.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 06-16-23, 03:39 PM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 825 Post(s)
Liked 1,659 Times in 784 Posts
Originally Posted by boggy
I think I figured it out. Instead of using questionable quality support straps on hooks holding on to tailgate, I will get heavy duty cargo straps with ratchets, and use soft loops to secure the hitch rack bars to roof cross bars with two sets of those straps. That will easily double or even triple the load capacity and allow me to transport three e-bikes with peace of mind. Because the bikes will be carried by two cargo straps and the hitch.
I doubt the straps attached to your cross rails will actually remove any of the weight of the bike(s) from the rack.

On the bright side, should the rack fail, it will be interesting to watch your bikes bouncing along behind you in the rear view mirror, at least until the cross rail of your roof rack tears off.
Old 06-16-23, 04:15 PM
boggy

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Bald Paul
I doubt the straps attached to your cross rails will actually remove any of the weight of the bike(s) from the rack.

On the bright side, should the rack fail, it will be interesting to watch your bikes bouncing along behind you in the rear view mirror, at least until the cross rail of your roof rack tears off.
The straps most definitely will remove the weight if you ratchet them up to create enough tension before hanging third bike. I will make a photo when I set it up once I get the straps. I ordered these to absorb rack flex while driving.

Old 06-16-23, 06:23 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Not so bright and interesting for the driver behind you who could get hit by those bikes coming off.

The straps most definitely will remove the weight if you ratchet them up to create enough tension before hanging third bike. I will make a photo when I set it up once I get the straps. I ordered these to absorb rack flex while driving.

How are they removing weight? Are these super magical straps that shoot the weight into the stratosphere and then it gets burned up on impact? I get that you want to be cheap, a lot of people do it too a fault but literally if you rack fails it won't effect you at all aside from some damaged bikes but could be rather fatal for someone traveling behind you and even if they were tailgating there is still no reason to put someone else's life at greater risk because you wanted to exceed the limits of your rack with a ratchet strap hoping that will magically triple the capacity of the rack by putting a strap on it.

I really hope the people behind you aren't anyone I know or anyone on this forum. If you really truly decide to go ahead with this plan you should put a nice easy to read sign on the bikes that reads "CAUTION: Bikes may come loose" and know you are responsible for everything that happens and that sign isn't an indemnity waiver and it still is a poor idea.
Old 06-16-23, 07:49 PM
boggy

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
Not so bright and interesting for the driver behind you who could get hit by those bikes coming off.

How are they removing weight? Are these super magical straps that shoot the weight into the stratosphere and then it gets burned up on impact? I get that you want to be cheap, a lot of people do it too a fault but literally if you rack fails it won't effect you at all aside from some damaged bikes but could be rather fatal for someone traveling behind you and even if they were tailgating there is still no reason to put someone else's life at greater risk because you wanted to exceed the limits of your rack with a ratchet strap hoping that will magically triple the capacity of the rack by putting a strap on.
I am guessing you have no understanding of how tension vector diagram works, perhaps you should have paid better attention in school. I can assure you that two heavy duty straps can be tensioned to compensate for some measly 40lb of force.
Likes For boggy:
Old 06-16-23, 08:11 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

I am guessing you have no understanding of how tension vector diagram works, perhaps you should have paid better attention in school. I can assure you that two heavy duty straps can be tensioned to compensate for some measly 40lb of force.
Ahhh yes, attention in school that is the problem here. If only I had paid better attention in school I would know that overloading a rack is a good idea. Safety is stupid..damn the education system really sucks, they didn't tell us that
Old 06-17-23, 02:58 AM
Bald Paul

Enlighten us, please! You may use charts, graphs, and engineering diagrams for those of us who didn't pay attention in class. What class are you referring to? Gym?
Old 06-17-23, 06:05 AM
jadmt

Bikes: Handsome xoxo, Serotta atx, Canyon Endurace CF8

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 1,899 Times in 849 Posts
1up says their super duty rack will do 3 bikes that weigh up to 75 apiece. total 225 lb capacity.
Old 06-17-23, 07:26 AM
boggy

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Enlighten us, please! You may use charts, graphs, and engineering diagrams for those of us who didn't pay attention in class. What class are you referring to? Gym?
This is rough draft of the situation, you have unsupported rack on the left with stated limit of 40lbs per bike. On the right you have cargo straps (I would have two, one for each arm of the rack) tensioned to 35lbs each pulling at 45 degree angle toward the roof of SUV, which in turn creates 50lb pull upward and 50lb pull toward the hitch. The extra weight for heavier bikes equates to 35lbs over the factory limit, and we can leave torque out of this equation because 50lb of upward force applies further away from hitch than the rest of the load. Actually factoring in torque will demonstrate that the straps more then compensate for the extra weight.

On top of it, any bump on the road is going to generate more upward force to compensate for rack flexing downward, so supported rack is going to be more stable than unsupported one, as long as straps are tensioned enough to compensate for extra weight.

I do have an engineering degree from an accredited US University, and these sort of calculations were part of what was covered at some depth.

Last edited by boggy; 06-17-23 at 07:50 AM.
Likes For boggy:
Old 06-17-23, 12:44 PM
2old

You might also mention that the "tension" on the roof rack is against shear force which is extremely stout for this system. The detractors are acting like the weight of the straps is an additional deterrent.
Old 06-18-23, 06:17 AM
Bald Paul

This is rough draft of the situation,
Now I understand. I mistakenly thought you were going to use the straps to attach to the bikes themselves, much like a stabilizing strap, hence my "bouncing along behind in the rear view mirror" comment. Apologies.
Old 06-24-23, 06:48 PM
boggy

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
After using the strap setup for 3 e-bikes for a total travel time of about 4 hours on the car, I decided it was just too much hassle to work with the whole setup.

The setup really does work and is rock solid, but you have to weave straps through spokes of two bikes you load first, before loading third one. This takes extra time you load and unload bikes, and is just pain in the neck for everyone involved (obviously I have two more people anxious to go). I just want to throw bikes on the rack and go, and don’t monkey around with it wasting extra time.

I went ahead and ordered super duty double from 1UP with an extra add on, 1UP says this setup is good for 225lb load, 75lbs per bike when transporting 3 e-bikes. Which is way more than enough, since my e-bikes max out at 60lbs with battery installed (I take those off when transporting).
  • Total carrying capacity of up to 225 lb (50-75 lb per bike spot) due to added support bar under tray

Thank you for recommendations. I considered Thule Epos, but they simply don’t have it in stock.

Last edited by boggy; 06-24-23 at 06:58 PM.
Likes For boggy:
Old 06-24-23, 07:07 PM
2old

I think you'll love the simplicity and quality of the 1UP. We've been using ours (MTB - no "e") for a couple of weeks and it's magnificent. Easy, rapid on and off. The only "trick" was to stagger the bikes (nose to tail for ours) in a manner that the seat post of one didn't interfere with the handlebars of the other (didn't take a brain surgeon to figure that out).
Old 06-24-23, 08:17 PM
Kai Winters

Bikes: Specialized Aethos, Specialized Diverge Comp E5

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 455 Times in 266 Posts
I'm guessing you are trying very hard to come up with any excuse to exceed the weight limit of the bikes on the rack with a complete disregard for the safety of others...and hoping someone in this thread will support you to justify your carelessness.
Old 06-24-23, 11:32 PM
boggy

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Kai Winters
I'm guessing you are trying very hard to come up with any excuse to exceed the weight limit of the bikes on the rack with a complete disregard for the safety of others...and hoping someone in this thread will support you to justify your carelessness.
There is no need to be rude, if you actually cared to read just a little further down the page you would find that I have ordered rack that is designed to carry more weight safely.

In the mean time, while I was using less capable rack, I have taken rather extreme steps to ensure safety of others. The only way it would hit the road, is if entire hitch assembly would fall of the SUV, in which case no rack in the world would many any difference.

Last edited by boggy; 06-24-23 at 11:40 PM.
Old 06-25-23, 09:05 AM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
I often wonder about the rated capacities of bike racks. I have an Allen motorsports 3 bike rack with a 1 1/4 in receiver, the cheapest one on Amazon. It is rated at 35# per bike. I've driven cross country with a 65# Ebike conversion and a recumbent on the rack. So less than the 105# total limit, but in excess of the 35# per bike.

Been driving that way for several years now. So who knows what is safe. Manufactures don't want to be sued and some people are absolute sticklers about following rules.

I do put the heaviest bike to the front to minimize the lever arm on the unit.

I knew what boggy was talking about with the straps. Seemed like a valid solution to me while also thinking it would be a PITA to string up every trip. Also wondered if it would upset the rule followers in this world.
Old 06-25-23, 02:18 PM
2old

Pop, IMO you're correct about your placement of the bike where the "fulcrum" is shortest as well as manufacturers downgrading the specs for a rack as a safety factor. How much is anybody's guess, but I'd bet it's 50% for some.
Old 06-25-23, 02:19 PM
2old

boggy, brilliant try, and sorry it was a PITA to implement.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.