Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Four Dead In NYC "e" Fire

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-23, 07:37 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 883 Post(s)
Liked 824 Times in 623 Posts

Yesterday there was a report of a fire in Chinatown that started in a battery repair facility. The place had been cited previously by the NYC Fire Department. It'll be interesting to see what new rules result from this. I won't be surprised if future insurance policies for homeowners exclude"e" fires in some way.
Old 06-21-23, 08:38 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3242 Post(s)
Liked 2,087 Times in 1,182 Posts
There is zero possibility the NY Fire Dept. is ever going to get a handle on how these batteries are stored and maintained. There are thousands of these e-bikes in use, mainly by delivery people mostly, and theres a huge underground industry selling and maintaining. The cat is long out of the bag on this, the NYFD will never be able to inspect each and every little shop that works on this stuff.
Old 06-21-23, 01:46 PM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 825 Post(s)
Liked 1,659 Times in 784 Posts
Cheap insurance: Amazon.com: FLASLD E-bike Battery Safe Bag Explosionproof - Large Capacity Fireproof Lipo Bag for Ebike Battery Charging and Storage (19.3 x 4.3 x 7in) : Toys & Games

After seeing a small LiPo battery spontaneously combust while being charged (it was in a small electric RC airplane) I wouldn't consider charging a LiPo or Li-Ion battery unless it was inside a fire resistant case.
Likes For Bald Paul:
Old 06-21-23, 01:57 PM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

Bikes: Too many but never enough.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 737 Times in 453 Posts
From my experience, living and commuting on bicycles & ebikes in NYC metro since 2013; bicycles & ebikes have been essential to transforming the traffic pattern in NYC and surrounding metro.

Please do not speculate about the specifics of the fire if there is no data with sources provided.

There is enough misinformation about battery caused fires in the news already.

There is no specific evidence that battery that caused this fire is a lithium battery, any other type of battery or something else; it just happen that fire occurred at a ebike shop with prior violations.
Likes For cat0020:
Old 06-21-23, 02:06 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,020 Times in 572 Posts
Originally Posted by cat0020

Please do not speculate about the specifics of the fire if there is no data with sources provided.

“It is very clear that this was caused by lithium-ion batteries and e-bikes. There is a very large number of both batteries and e-bikes. This location is known to the fire department, we have written violations at this location before, and we have conducted enforcement in this location before,” (Fire) Commissioner Laura Kavanagh said.

That's a good enough source for me.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/06/20/us/ny...ies/index.html
Old 06-21-23, 02:22 PM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

Originally Posted by jon c.
“It is very clear that this was caused by lithium-ion batteries and e-bikes. There is a very large number of both batteries and e-bikes. This location is known to the fire department, we have written violations at this location before, and we have conducted enforcement in this location before,” (Fire) Commissioner Laura Kavanagh said.

If you're naive enough to believe ANY fire department can determine the source of the fire at an ebike shop full of different types of batteries within 48 hours; sure, if it makes you sleep better at night.
Old 06-21-23, 03:52 PM
2old

According to a report from someone who visited the store, they had wooden racks of batteries being charged simultaneously; IMO, even though the Fire Department can't check every shop (for instance if it's in somebody's apartment), when they locate a problem, they should have the authority (by law) to shut the place down (that is lock it down and get rid of the batteries).
Likes For 2old:
Old 06-21-23, 07:00 PM
2old

Originally Posted by jon c.

I'm reporting this; you should be able to speculate on anything that you want .
Old 06-21-23, 07:07 PM
2old

Originally Posted by Bald Paul
Cheap insurance: Amazon.com: FLASLD E-bike Battery Safe Bag Explosionproof - Large Capacity Fireproof Lipo Bag for Ebike Battery Charging and Storage (19.3 x 4.3 x 7in) : Toys & Games

After seeing a small LiPo battery spontaneously combust while being charged (it was in a small electric RC airplane) I wouldn't consider charging a LiPo or Li-Ion battery unless it was inside a fire resistant case.
Thank you; I ordered one @ $21.24 with discount. If it seems well made, I'll order another.
Old 06-22-23, 06:43 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,699 Times in 2,519 Posts
I know about those bags from flying model airplanes, but I wonder how well they would work for an ebike battery.

Originally Posted by cat0020
We don't allow people to make up their own rules for this forum. As long as a post doesn't violate the rules, we aren't going to do anything.

Last edited by unterhausen; 06-22-23 at 06:47 AM.
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 06-22-23, 07:37 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11972 Post(s)
Liked 6,655 Times in 3,486 Posts
I never knew about those bags, I used to race RC cars. Smaller batteries but I still do drones occasionally, maybe I will look into a bag.
Likes For BillyD:
Old 06-22-23, 08:42 AM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

Lots of incidents with EV battery fires are being unfairly heaped on ebike batteries these days.
Maybe some statistics comparison between lithium (or any other type of) battery fires with those caused by people being careless?
Do those fire incidents get as much attention in the media? Seems to me media would rather vilify the EV (or ebike) battery rather than the user.
More importantly, knowing how to care for your ebike battery is the sure way to protect yourself & your batteries.

Last edited by cat0020; 06-22-23 at 09:00 AM.
Old 06-22-23, 09:06 AM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked 1,258 Times in 663 Posts
here's the pic from yesterday's NYT

/markp

Likes For mpetry912:
Old 06-24-23, 07:00 PM
2old

Originally Posted by 2old
Thank you; I ordered one @ $21.24 with discount. If it seems well made, I'll order another.
The bag arrived and seems to be manufactured well although I wonder whether it could contain the energy from a Li fire. The product has a 4.7 (of 5) rating on Amazon, but hasn't been "tested" by any of the reviewers. One individual put the batteries from his wife's and his bikes in the bag when riding on a ferry since the ferry didn't allow bikes with batteries attached, so at least it "works" for that. If it can contain a Li fire, it's the deal of the century IMO.
Likes For 2old:
Old 06-25-23, 09:13 AM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
Luna sent me fire ******ant bag with my battery. Nice unit, custom fit to the battery. I would never put the battery inside the bag while charging, holds too much heat. Heat is the thing that causes battery fires.

Instead, I put the fire bag in the bottom of my 40 mm grenade ammo can and charge it outside. Keep a bucket of water near by just in case. The ammo can is excellent for storing the battery in the house during the winter months

40MM Used Ammo Cans | Ammo Can Man

Old 06-26-23, 11:20 PM
speedy25

Bikes: Specialized, Trek, Diamondback, Schwinn, Peugeot

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 43 Posts
More to the problem.

Cat0020 is right. Even the article I read that matches the picture just above this post said that the actual cause was still UNKNOWN at the time the report was made. Many of you have seen battery fires. Now look at the pile on the street. Any evidence of a runaway lithium fire there?? NO!!

All those LEV's still have tires. None of them are scorched. I believe all of them to have been removed from the overcrowded store to get to the fire area. It was written that the owner of the shop was cited for leaving batteries on chargers overnight. After that citation he shuts them all off before leaving the store. I have no reason to doubt him. I think they will find a bad cord or other typical electrical fault that started the fire. Sadly the fire did kill others above the store. It could have been the deli having a fire and cause the same deaths.

Just the presence of LiIon batteries has made the chicken littles run out and cry!

My personal opinion was confirmed in a picture of a shop (un-named) that had a bunch of bikes and batteries LOCKED to wooden shelving and being charged with chargers plugged into cheap outlet strips. THATS your typical fire! But since all of that is locked together, the building would burn down quickly since there is no way to remove bikes or batteries quickly. Secondly, all those batteries are Silverfish style, that are only slightly newer than the rack style. I think these batteries are long past their power stage and are now only heaters because of their high internal resistance. If the outlet strip doesnt catch fire first, THOSE batteries will!

My local paper in Medina, OH published that story on that store. The story is poorly written with very little factual information other than there was a fire and people got hurt. I have written to a number of people writing about battery fires asking for a reply, but to date nobody has returned my email. Use your own batteries carefully like they should be.

-SP
Likes For speedy25:
Old 07-01-23, 07:03 PM
2old

Pretty fascinating discussion about e-batteries (including cause(s) of fires) on electrek (Wheel-E podcast). Luke Workman always has fascinating things to say (IMO).
Old 07-01-23, 07:47 PM
Bmach

Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 162 Posts
Why does it seem like NYC has more ebike fires than anywhere?
Likes For Bmach:
Old 07-01-23, 07:55 PM
2old

That's discussed in the podcast above.
Old 07-01-23, 08:00 PM
2old

Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
Luna sent me a custom made fire resistant bag with my battery. Super nice unit, well made. I would never put a battery inside this bag while charging it. Holds in too much heat. It is heat that causes battery fires.

Instead use the bag to line the bottom of a 40 mm grenade ammo can and leave the top open while charging the battery. Keep a jug of water near by in case things go bad. Only real way to extinguish a battery fire is by cooling it.

The ammo can is absolutely perfect for safely storing the battery in the house during the winter months.

40MM Used Ammo Cans | Ammo Can Man
Luna's "potted" batteries are discussed in the podcast. The media not only makes the battery less likely to start on fire, it impedes propagation. Unfortunately Luna is only providing them with their bikes and/or kits now AFAIK.
Old 07-01-23, 08:09 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,020 Times in 572 Posts
Originally Posted by Bmach
Why does it seem like NYC has more ebike fires than anywhere?
More ebikes than anywhere most likely.
Likes For jon c.:
Old 07-02-23, 05:52 AM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
Luna's "potted" batteries are discussed in the podcast. The media not only makes the battery less likely to start on fire, it impedes propagation. Unfortunately Luna is only providing them with their bikes and/or kits now AFAIK.
Yeah the potted battery is nice. Mechanically very sound, although I imagine unrepairable if a cell or two goes out. I bought mine at the start of the pandemic, they completely ran out of inventory a short time later and have yet to recover.

I don't know why people get so defensive at the idea this fire being caused by a battery fire. An unfortunate reality of batteries, I don't care how well they are made or how carefully users follow the safety procedures.

I also don't understand people's preoccupation with no unattended charging. Most chargers time out or otherwise turn themselves off once the battery is charged. I do take the precaution of charging my battery inside the ammo can while it sits in the garage, but I sure as shooting don't sit in the garage and watch it throughout the cycle. I'm lucky, my battery is easily removable, but many have to be charged while still on (in) the bike. If doing that is somehow irresponsible, then what you are saying is bike batteries are too dangerous for general consumption. That is clearly not the case.

There are always risks with any form of stored energy.
Likes For Pop N Wood:
Old 07-02-23, 08:30 AM
2old

I got one when Luna first manufactured them four or so years ago, but gave it to my son with a BBS02 hardtail. Their "magnetic" system for attaching the battery to the frame was superb. However, they seem to have departed from the battery business; probably it's easier making money selling SurRons and Talarias.

Last edited by 2old; 07-02-23 at 08:43 PM.
Old 07-02-23, 09:57 AM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

Pretty fascinating discussion about e-batteries (including cause(s) of fires) on electrek (Wheel-E podcast). Luke Workman always has fascinating things to say (IMO).
That's discussed in the podcast above.
Is there a link to the podcast?
Old 07-02-23, 07:06 PM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
Then start with people who smoke. The fear mongering about a fire from a smoker falling asleep in their bed or chair resulting in laws requiring the use of highly carcinogenic flame ******ants on furniture and pajamas.

Fires happen which is why we have fire departments.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.