Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Need the cheapest ebike out there for my teenager

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Need the cheapest ebike out there for my teenager

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-23, 05:28 AM
Kai Winters

Bikes: Specialized Aethos, Specialized Diverge Comp E5

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 455 Times in 266 Posts
ebikes are great for commuting but beware...the cheap bikes don't last, often can't get parts for them when they break down...
Likes For Kai Winters:
Old 09-02-23, 12:56 PM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

Bikes: Too many but never enough.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 737 Times in 453 Posts
Originally Posted by Kai Winters
ebikes are great for commuting but beware...the cheap bikes don't last, often can't get parts for them when they break down...
Are you speaking from experience?
What cheap ebikes have you ridden and for how many miles?

From what I've seen while commuting in NYC metro, cheap (under $2K) ebikes used by delivery workers are abused 24/7, in all weather,
and if they are not reliable, the delivery workers wouldn't be making money doing delivery on these cheap ebikes.
Most of them have generic parts that are available from AliExpress, pretty easy to source replacement parts.
Old 09-03-23, 05:25 AM
Kai Winters

Originally Posted by cat0020

From what I've seen while commuting in NYC metro, cheap (under $2K) ebikes used by delivery workers are abused 24/7, in all weather,
and if they are not reliable, the delivery workers wouldn't be making money doing delivery on these cheap ebikes.
Most of them have generic parts that are available from AliExpress, pretty easy to source replacement parts.
We've 'repaired' somewhere around 100 of them this season...likely more as I don't keep track.
Matter of fact we are the repair center for several major ebike renting centers in the area and up to 75 miles from us as we are the only shop that has the experience and expertise to service and repair them.
The 'cheap' ebikes are often ridden very hard and put away soaking wet resulting in damage generally to the headset area as well as electronic failures...control center, etc...sometimes we can get the exact replacement part/s often we can't...same is true with the tires and tubes...they often use 'non standard' tubes and tires resulting in a difficulty getting them as they are either sold out or in very short supply. We 'don't' purchase from retailers as we are a bike shop. We also 'don't' spend hours researching for parts that may or may not work as we 'don't' get paid to spend an hour or two on google, etc. trying to find a part.
Cheap anything is exactly that...cheap and generally not long lasting when used hard.
Old 09-03-23, 06:36 AM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

Since you didn't answer my questions from previous post, I will ask them again:

Additionally, have you ridden them personally and how many miles?

We've 'repaired' somewhere around 100 of them this season...likely more as I don't keep track.
Who's "we", can you specify the shop's name & location?
Can you name the brands & models of these ebikes that "we" have worked on?

Matter of fact we are the repair center for several major ebike renting centers in the area and up to 75 miles from us as we are the only shop that has the experience and expertise to service and repair them.
From what I understand of rental business, the bikes are not out more than 4-5 hours daily,
usually by multiple users that have little knowledge about the operation of the bike they ride or not familiar with the area where they ride.
Somewhat different demographic that delivery workers that spend 4-5 hours a day on the same bike, riding in unban area that they maybe more familiar with.

The 'cheap' ebikes are often ridden very hard and put away soaking wet resulting in damage generally to the headset area as well as electronic failures...control center, etc...sometimes we can get the exact replacement part/s often we can't...same is true with the tires and tubes...they often use 'non standard' tubes and tires resulting in a difficulty getting them as they are either sold out or in very short supply. We 'don't' purchase from retailers as we are a bike shop. We also 'don't' spend hours researching for parts that may or may not work as we 'don't' get paid to spend an hour or two on google, etc. trying to find a part.
Cheap anything is exactly that...cheap and generally not long lasting when used hard.
Tens of thousands of delivery workers in NYC the operate daily on ebikes, most of them cheap;
if they are not reliable, I doubt any of them would have a living doing deliveries on them.

Any business' bottom line is about profit.

Bike shops don't service these cheap ebikes because they are not "standard" bike industry parts compliant,
but more so that these cheap ebikes are not profitable for regular bike shops to sale & service.
Researching for replacement parts on these cheap ebikes is not profitable for bike shops.

I know at least two shops in Brooklyn that specifically service these cheap ebikes for delivery workers,
most of the time the repair is performed while you wait, if not same day.
These shops stock plenty of replacement parts and only have 3-4 core workers that know these cheap ebikes like the back of their hands.
Most repair they perform are flat tires, loose spokes, out-of-true wheels, etc..

I understand that's just because there are tens of thousands of them being used in NYC metro, and for hours daily.

I would imagine if a single rider that has to ride one single bike for hours on in daily would learn to operate a vehicle reliably to suit their riding,
not just abuse them as a rental bike that only get to be ridden once for few hours and never have to get back on it again.
Old 09-03-23, 10:35 AM
Kai Winters

I work as a wrench in a bike shop in northern ny
I've only test ridden them after repairs
A major rent to own operation rents them to people that 'own' them and we provide service and repairs
Too many brands to name off the top of my head
lost interest...last post
good luck...I don't care
Old 09-03-23, 12:23 PM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

A major rent to own operation rents them to people that 'own' them and we provide service and repairs
good luck...I don't care
Thanks for replying with some details.
Part of being a good wrench is the ability to explain to the client with details and specifics of your perspective.
At least the details you've provided give insight to your personal usage and experience with these cheap ebikes that you refer,
which can provide lots of contest of validity on your opinions about cheap ebikes.

Not everyone shopping for ebikes need high performance or solid dealer support for their purchase.
Much of these cheap ebikes have generic parts that are easy to source & simple to repair if you know the general bicycle mechanics and have proper tools.

I'm curious for those "rent-to-own" customers, if they are actually cheap (under $2k new) ebikes or just leftover from name brands?
Not caring when you are asked specific questions is not a good basis for providing customer service as a bike mechanic.

As a wrench myself, I understand how if may be frustrating when a client ask you to provide specifics, but never would I tell the client that "I don't care".
Likes For cat0020:
Old 09-05-23, 04:31 PM
930trekker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd suggest looking at the heybike models on Amazon. I've never ridden one but in doing a bit of preliminary shopping they don't seem too bad..

Last edited by 930trekker; 09-05-23 at 08:05 PM.
Old 09-06-23, 06:17 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2496 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 523 Posts
Can it pass without further argument that a $2K ebike is not 'cheap'? If the o.p. wants one of those e-bikes that make the news then Aliexpress can prolly hook them up for ~$500. If they look for something from Aventon, Dash or Juiced Bikes they may have to spend ~$1K+ but they will get a more reliable product. A $2K+ e-bike is IMO 'moderately priced'. It is not 'better' than a $1K bike but it will have better features and accessories. $3K to $4K is pretty much top of the line for most people. Full carbon drop bar roadbikes that have motors and electronics so stealth that an untrained observer simply won't know they are there are $10K and (much) more. I will go on record as saying that the proposed use case of the bike in question is ridiculous. The o.p.'s child is simply too young for a commute of this kind in 2023. This isn't 1970 in the burbs. Do they HAVE to be on the hockey (or whatever) team if no responsible adult can transport them? <shrug>.

Last edited by Leisesturm; 09-06-23 at 06:30 PM.
Old 09-06-23, 07:38 PM
Kai Winters

Originally Posted by cat0020
Thanks for replying with some details.
Part of being a good wrench is the ability to explain to the client with details and specifics of your perspective.
At least the details you've provided give insight to your personal usage and experience with these cheap ebikes that you refer,
which can provide lots of contest of validity on your opinions about cheap ebikes.

Not everyone shopping for ebikes need high performance or solid dealer support for their purchase.
Much of these cheap ebikes have generic parts that are easy to source & simple to repair if you know the general bicycle mechanics and have proper tools.

I'm curious for those "rent-to-own" customers, if they are actually cheap (under $2k new) ebikes or just leftover from name brands?
Not caring when you are asked specific questions is not a good basis for providing customer service as a bike mechanic.

As a wrench myself, I understand how if may be frustrating when a client ask you to provide specifics, but never would I tell the client that "I don't care".
lol you are not a client
Old 09-07-23, 01:38 AM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

lol you are not a client
Do I need to be a client for you to treat someone like a decent wrench?

Do I need to be a client for you to validate your opinion on "cheapest ebike out there for a teenager"?

Last edited by cat0020; 09-07-23 at 01:45 AM.
Old 09-12-23, 04:54 AM
dr_max

Bikes: BMC SLC01 Promachine with full DA grupo on Ksyrium ES/ BMC Roadmachine 01 One disc Ultegra with DT Swiss

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Calsun
If your son is healthy he does not need an e-bike to ride less than 9 miles. Even with a strong wind he should be able to pedal at 12 mph and so would need only 45 minutes to get home. I can go 30 miles round trip in 10-15 mph headwinds with no need for an e-bike and I am 73 years old and overweight by 20 pounds.
i bought him a road bike

hope you are right
Old 09-12-23, 04:57 AM
dr_max

Bikes: BMC SLC01 Promachine with full DA grupo on Ksyrium ES/ BMC Roadmachine 01 One disc Ultegra with DT Swiss

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 37 Posts
good luck...I don't care
same here
Old 09-21-23, 08:11 AM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less