Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Finally, demand for quality standards

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Finally, demand for quality standards

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-24, 07:28 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2485 Post(s)
Liked 2,956 Times in 1,679 Posts
Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
The numbers are the only thing tangible and verifiable.
The numbers are raw data and say nothing. How they are interpreted is what matters. The death toll is becoming prohibitive, in the eyes of some accident analysts (i.e., those who do it for a living, in contrast to you and me, who go by gut reactions to the data).
Old 02-20-24, 08:05 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,584 Times in 1,432 Posts
..........There are already people who hate ebikes, post an ebike thread in general cycling and see what I mean. Keep making ebike fires seem like a bigger threat than they are and we risk excessive regulations. Like apartments banning renters with ebikes.
You backhandedly make the best case for E-bike fans to support battery certification requirements ideally at a national or global level.

E- bikes and batteries are not the issue ----- poorly made batteries are. Shoddy construction causes internal shorts and, yes, fires. Likewise, poor battery/charger combinations which don't properly manage charge rates and/or prevent over charging.

One needs a very short memory to forget the fires caused by crappy hoverboards a few years ago.

As you point out, besides the direct victims of battery fires, the worst victims of (crappy) battery fires will ultimately be E-bike owners, banned from bringing bikes indoors.

The way to prevent fire hysteria is to reduce fires in the first place. This is a clear example of poor apples spoiling the barrel and should be managed accordingly.

If we allow the hysterical "no regulation" folks to prevent intelligent regulation, we'll end up with worse regulation later. And don't cry that you weren't warned.

Last edited by FBinNY; 02-20-24 at 08:10 AM.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 02-20-24, 10:54 AM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
The numbers are raw data and say nothing. How they are interpreted is what matters. The death toll is becoming prohibitive, in the eyes of some accident analysts (i.e., those who do it for a living, in contrast to you and me, who go by gut reactions to the data).
Absolutely agree with you on the interpretation issue. That is the issue that should be discussed, not what you think I do for a living.

Question assumptions, look at facts, take speculation with a grain of salt, and make decisions for yourself.

My warning is fires are not a major problem, certainly not nationally, but more importantly if we keep making ebikes out to be evil we run the risk of getting things banned.
Old 02-20-24, 11:03 AM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
You backhandedly make the best case for E-bike fans to support battery certification requirements ideally at a national or global level.

E- bikes and batteries are not the issue ----- poorly made batteries are. Shoddy construction causes internal shorts and, yes, fires. Likewise, poor battery/charger combinations which don't properly manage charge rates and/or prevent over charging.

One needs a very short memory to forget the fires caused by crappy hoverboards a few years ago.

As you point out, besides the direct victims of battery fires, the worst victims of (crappy) battery fires will ultimately be E-bike owners, banned from bringing bikes indoors.

The way to prevent fire hysteria is to reduce fires in the first place. This is a clear example of poor apples spoiling the barrel and should be managed accordingly.

If we allow the hysterical "no regulation" folks to prevent intelligent regulation, we'll end up with worse regulation later. And don't cry that you weren't warned.
I should let this go, 2old would thank me for it. I sure hope you aren't lumping me in the "no regulation" folks. But your response above has a number of bad assumptions in it.
Old 02-20-24, 11:45 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,584 Times in 1,432 Posts
I should let this go, 2old would thank me for it. I sure hope you aren't lumping me in the "no regulation" folks. But your response above has a number of bad assumptions in it.
Any assumptions directed to you are imagined. Everything I wrote was generic, possibly reflecting things said by some earlier in the thread, or by folks I know outside of this forum.

As for what may otherwise be bad assumptions, let's agree that there's plenty of room for reasonable people to have different opinions.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 02-21-24, 10:09 AM
Smaug1
Commuter

Bikes: Main Bikes: 2023 Trek Domane AL3, 2022 Aventon Level.2 eBike, 1972 Schwinn Varsity, 2024 Priority Apollo 11

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 196 Posts
Originally Posted by mschwett
that's a funny example. chicago's building/fire codes were completely revamped after the 1871 fire, requiring much more masonry and eventually fireproofed steel construction. it was such a significant shift that many communities and businesses were priced out of the reconstruction, or simply disobeyed the rules and got illegal wood buildings built anyway.

so, your example is actually an example of exactly what is happening here - regardless of the actual fault (cow, kitchen fire, extension cord, cheap battery, poorly maintained wiring, etc) new regulations are targeted at the most feasible place to reduce risk. in this case, it's the electric devices themselves. in chicago, it was the buildings, since outlawing cooking or accidents/mistakes was not really feasible.
As an aside, The construction changed a bit, but one thing that came from the Great Chicago Fire was UL. UL was a one room company and as a result of the fire, the wrote UL 1, which was for metallic conduit. The standard for fuses followed pretty quickly, to protect the wiring. Wooden framed buildings were still allowed, but the electric systems had to be housed in fireproof conduit from then on. Even now, flexible conduit is not to code in Chicago. (much less romex)
Old 02-21-24, 07:59 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7350 Post(s)
Liked 2,475 Times in 1,438 Posts
New Yorkers pose a bigger risk to their neighbors when using a space heater than when recharging an e bike battery.

The only reason I mentioned NYC is that seems to be where the majority of the hysteria is centered. Large metropolitan areas like NYC are the most vulnerable to fires due to the population densities. So the fact battery fires really aren't a huge issue in NYC means it is even less of an issue in the rest of the country.

Your details on certification are interesting but don't answer the question whether they significantly affect the incidence of ebike fires. The certification process is somewhat irrelevant to this conversation.

I honestly want to know whether the risks are significantly more when charging a battery. Would be really nice to see something quantitative. Would be even nicer if people would ask questions rather than trying to shame people into compliance.
Right, there isn't a story about another fire every day. So by that measure, it's not a huge issue. Is it an issue worth addressing? I think so. When does it become big enough for you? In a way, we are asking how many preventable deaths are too many. Or how much are we willing to make delivery services pay for improved safety.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Likes For noglider:
Old 02-21-24, 08:04 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7350 Post(s)
Liked 2,475 Times in 1,438 Posts
Fire regulations are the biggest contributor to enabling increased population density. Fire regulations continue to get stricter. I can't say all of the regulations are good, but I think the trend is good. I live in a 12-unit apartment building. It's a converted warehouse built in 1917 with a wood frame. In 1930, NYC outlawed wood-framed apartment buildings over a certain size. This building is at greater risk for fires than other similarly-sized buildings. I like fire regulations, in general, even though they are sometimes very costly to comply with.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Likes For noglider: