Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Campa 10 speed 1x chainline

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-24, 06:48 AM
tdh

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

I am currently building an old-school gravel bike (if there is such a thing). Basically, I am taking an 80s cyclocross frame and equip it with campa 10speed ergopowers, a sram rd and a 42 shimano cassette. The crank is campa 10 speed 135 bcd square taper with a single 42t narrow wide chainring; no fd. The problem is the chainline. With a 102mm ISO/ITA chorus bb the chain sits, obviously, where the large chainring in a 2x setup would normally sit. In a 1x setup this is roughly in line with the second smallest sprocket. As far as I know there is no ISO bb with a 96mm, or thereabouts, spindle. Anybody with an idea how to bring the chainring further in? Help is much appreciated. Thanks!
Old 03-22-24, 07:40 AM
13ollocks

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 95 Posts
Originally Posted by tdh
I am currently building an old-school gravel bike (if there is such a thing). Basically, I am taking an 80s cyclocross frame and equip it with campa 10speed ergopowers, a sram rd and a 42 shimano cassette. The crank is campa 10 speed 135 bcd square taper with a single 42t narrow wide chainring; no fd. The problem is the chainline. With a 102mm ISO/ITA chorus bb the chain sits, obviously, where the large chainring in a 2x setup would normally sit. In a 1x setup this is roughly in line with the second smallest sprocket. As far as I know there is no ISO bb with a 96mm, or thereabouts, spindle. Anybody with an idea how to bring the chainring further in? Help is much appreciated. Thanks!
why not mount the ring on the inside? With no FD or large ring to rattle off, you’ll still access all the gears (forgive the filth - my commuter)

Last edited by 13ollocks; 03-22-24 at 08:29 AM.
Likes For 13ollocks:
Old 03-22-24, 08:12 AM
tdh

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I am clearly a complete idiot...Couldn't see the forrest for the trees. Thanks!
Likes For tdh:
Old 03-22-24, 08:42 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked 1,064 Times in 747 Posts
Also, if you haven't already, make sure your Campy shifters are compatible with the pull ratio of the SRAM derailleur.
Likes For Crankycrank:
Old 03-22-24, 04:53 PM
tdh

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
It's an exact actuation rd, fully compatible. But thanks for the heads up.
Likes For tdh: