Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Seized Bottom Bracket Bearing Cup Races in Aluminum Frames

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Seized Bottom Bracket Bearing Cup Races in Aluminum Frames

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-24, 10:16 PM
Duragrouch

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 777 Post(s)
Liked 427 Times in 341 Posts
Originally Posted by ivangobike
Sealed bearing races can be repacked by taking the cages out inside them. Easier said than done and only applies to the ones that's possible with, notably nylon caged sealed bearing races.
I've heard of folks doing that, and could understand if tough to find replacement. That was my rationale for staying with cup and cone, as I couldn't readjust the preload on cartridges, but even if I could repack a cartridge (I think much more difficult on most), new grease, but still worn loose. That all went away with external BB bearings and generic Tube Spindle 2 Piece Crank (TS2PC (tm), formerly incorrectly referred to as "Hollowtech II style" crank); Can adjust preload, durable, lighter than air, stronger than steel, cheaper than dirt.
Old 03-30-24, 10:23 PM
ivangobike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Kontact
I guess I don't understand why a cup with cracks in the races would ever get repacked in the first place. You would have to know how to work on bearings without having any knowledge at all of why you're doing it.

And I disagree that the cups are 'bending down into the aluminum frame'. The cups engage both the threads and the end of the BB shell - which is why they are faced. So the cup in the photos was either visibly falling out of the frame, and causing the crank to clunk around, or the threads came apart when the cup was removed.
The face of the cup was angled heavily when in the frame. A divet in the BB shell was left where it bent down. It required 2 mechanics each with their own chain whip on the BB tool to remove that cup, no corrosion was found. It's pretty clear what happened.
Old 03-30-24, 10:31 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6225 Post(s)
Liked 4,228 Times in 2,372 Posts
Originally Posted by ivangobike
I largely disagree, when I was more novice 3 years ago this would have been extremely helpful knowledge to go by. I hope others can find this info instead of having to struggle with understanding how a BB could be so seized without being corroded at all, along with how to approach such BBs. Many cheap bicycles get lots of work done on them all the time in thousands of shops worldwide, some go through multiple sealed cartridge BBs before they retire.

Above all, this should be a wake-up call that we should stop repacking this stuff.
No one should repack, restore, reinstall, or do anything with damaged parts other than drop them in the recycling bin. Visible cracks, visible thread damage, or any visible damage should be replaced. You are wasting time and risking further damage to the more expensive part…i.e. the frame.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 03-30-24, 10:43 PM
ivangobike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
No one should repack, restore, reinstall, or do anything with damaged parts other than drop them in the recycling bin. Visible cracks, visible thread damage, or any visible damage should be replaced. You are wasting time and risking further damage to the more expensive part…i.e. the frame.
Yessir!
Old 03-30-24, 10:45 PM
Duragrouch

Of course I agree. But a lot of people, when repacking a bearing, don't look closely enough at the spindle, cups, and most especially each ball, with a magnifying glass, for spalling or cracks, before regreasing. I had to learn to do it.
Old 03-31-24, 07:45 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2750 Post(s)
Liked 3,406 Times in 2,061 Posts
Originally Posted by Duragrouch
Of course I agree. But a lot of people, when repacking a bearing, don't look closely enough at the spindle, cups, and most especially each ball, with a magnifying glass, for spalling or cracks, before regreasing. I had to learn to do it.
I don't even look at them anymore. For the mere pennies each I just put new ones in.
Likes For dedhed:
Old 03-31-24, 11:25 AM
Hondo6

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 466 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed
I don't even look at them anymore. For the mere pennies each I just put new ones in.
Bingo. Grade 25 bearing balls are cheap if bought in moderate or larger quantity. They are also available in stainless - which as I recall, weren't that much more when I needed another batch.
Old 03-31-24, 11:50 AM
Kontact

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4434 Post(s)
Liked 1,576 Times in 1,038 Posts
Originally Posted by Hondo6
Bingo. Grade 25 bearing balls are cheap if bought in moderate or larger quantity. They are also available in stainless - which as I recall, weren't that much more when I needed another batch.
Stainless bearings are great idea if you want to run them without any grease.
Old 03-31-24, 11:57 AM
Hondo6

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 466 Posts
Originally Posted by Kontact
Stainless bearings are great idea if you want to run them without any grease.
I see it as more "belt and suspenders" protection in case of unexpected water intrusion that isn't noticed for a while. Unfortunately, that only helps keep the bearing balls from corroding and spreading junk into the grease, but at least it's something.
Old 03-31-24, 12:18 PM
Kontact

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4434 Post(s)
Liked 1,576 Times in 1,038 Posts
Originally Posted by Hondo6
I see it as more "belt and suspenders" protection in case of unexpected water intrusion that isn't noticed for a while. Unfortunately, that only helps keep the bearing balls from corroding and spreading junk into the grease, but at least it's something.
Considering the way grease moves and that the spindle and cups aren't stainless, I don't think it would ever be of value.

However, stainless galls and carbon steel doesn't, so it would not be my choice given the option.

But it isn't important.
Old 03-31-24, 06:35 PM
grumpus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked 450 Times in 344 Posts
the steel cup pulling apart is only a recent development. It's due to the "steel" used on extremely cheap bikes being contaminated with metals that shouldn't be there.
I occasionally saw this sort of damage 30-40 years ago, caused by neglect or incorrect maintenance. A single speed or IGH bike can still work (badly, but pedal and it goes) with quite a lot of bearing play. Some of the slack can be adjusted away but tightening makes the balls ride higher up the axle bearing face, the balls already ground their way through the hardened layer of the bearing cups and start to deform the softer steel, pushing it away and work hardening it until it cracks. At this point the bike no longer works, or the adjusting cup has no more thread to tighten, so it arrives at the shop to have its bbkt bearing "grease and adjust" ...
Old 03-31-24, 10:14 PM
Duragrouch

Originally Posted by dedhed
Good point, that's true. When I had to service a friend's bike with obvious corroded bearings, I ordered an assortment of balls for all bike part sizes, it had plenty of all sizes and was something like $5 or $7 I think. Same for an assortment of 5 different lengths of stainless rack bolts (5mm?), like 10 of each length, I think $8. I don't buy enough stuff on amazon to make Prime with free shipping worth it, but a friend has it and I'm often fixing their bikes for free, so Bob's your uncle.