Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Glad I waited....

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Glad I waited....

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-14, 08:41 PM
Piratebike

Bikes: 2010 Trek Wahoo, 2010 Trek FX 7.5, 2011 Trek Madone 3.1, 2012 Trek 520, 2016 Trek X-Caliber 8, 2017 Trek DS 4

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Glad I waited....

I was just down in the Road Riding forum and read a thread about getting yelled at.....

I am glad I waited till I was old to start back riding bikes. Seems like they have a lot of penned up issues down there.....lol

It's that kind of thinking that keeps my old azz riding solo. Don't get me wrong I understand their need to ride like that, I am just glad I don't have too. I get asked sometimes to ride with a local group. Yep they are mostly young guys with nothing to do in life but ride like a banshee. I always tell them they are too good for me I can't keep up and let them ride on.

Yep, being old has it's advantages and enjoying a ride is one. Enjoy it while you can young guns, their will be a day when people yell at you.
Old 05-07-14, 09:18 PM
Dudelsack 

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
On one hand they take themselves way too seriously. OTOH there have been some crashes on "training rides" that have sent people to the hospital. I think I'll pass.

Old 05-07-14, 09:25 PM
raqball

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked 221 Times in 121 Posts
I'm way to slow and I don't have the proper 'stuck on myself' attitude that's required for such silly'ness..

I'd much rather ride solo and enjoy my ride than have to deal with the attitudes that them dudes have..

I don't try and break any land speed records nor am I trying to make the Tour de France..
Old 05-07-14, 09:31 PM
The B
(retired from forum)

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by raqball
I'm way to slow and I don't have the proper 'stuck on myself' attitude that's required for such silly'ness..

I'd much rather ride solo and enjoy my ride than have to deal with the attitudes that them dudes have..

I don't try and break any land speed records nor am I trying to make the Tour de France..
Word, word... and these guys are. So that's the difference.

Can you criticize (I'm not saying anyone here is, exactly, just yet...)? It's just dif'rent strokes for dif'rent folks. If I'd started riding when I was a younger man, I'm quite sure I'd be full on pro cyclist, or at the very least a hard core wannabe. Couldn't do it these days... so you won't catch me riding with those dudes.
Old 05-07-14, 09:34 PM
The B
(retired from forum)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
On the other hand, I'm also kind of glad I "waited." 'Cause as much as I'd love being that good..... what if I wasn't?? What if I just kept trying and trying and trying to get picked up, and blew out the first decade of my life, and my knees, chasing an illusion?

Now.. Strava is my racetrack. Sometimes I come across another roadie that just doens't want to get passed, and that's a lot of fun too. But I have a job, and a life... and that's cool.
Old 05-07-14, 10:19 PM
h2oxtc

Bikes: Cannondale Caad 8; Jamis Aurora Elite, Kona Disc road bike, Rocky Mntn Equipe, Apollo Imperial, KHS Aero Comp SS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Dudelsack
On one hand they take themselves way too seriously. OTOH there have been some crashes on "training rides" that have sent people to the hospital. I think I'll pass.
I wouldn't necessarily disagree, OTOH, I've ridden with some groups that ride at a relatively relaxed pace and are definitely a fun social ride. Riding with a disciplined group is critical though IMO - it only takes one inexperienced cyclist to create a dangerous situation for everyone in the group. And you don't have to ride fast to crash.

Ran into a group the other day, called themselves "weezers and geezers". Not too fast, not too slow. Just right for me.
Old 05-08-14, 07:12 AM
Yankeetowner

Bikes: Road Bikes: 2014 Giant Propel Advanced 1; 1989 Klein Quantum, 2013 Giant Defy 2, & Mountain Bike: 2013 Cannondale Six

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've learned much more about cycling from group rides than solo rides. In fact, the stronger riders have gone out of their way to help me become stronger. Several times I've had folks stay with me, or drop back for me, and pull me back to the group. They've explained interval training, the advantages of a higher cadence, and the advantages of heart rate monitors and power meters (although I haven't sprung for either yet). I have no illusions of greatness, but it is fun to push myself and to stay with a group going 20-24 mph. I just started riding again about a year ago, and even at my age (63+) I can now do short pulls at 20-22 mph and longer pulls at 18-20 mph. As far as yelling goes, no one yells in my regular group, and if I was in a group where folks were yelling at each other, I'd drop out and go solo. Life is too short, and I get enough yelling and theatrics at work.
Old 05-08-14, 07:24 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3907 Post(s)
Liked 4,853 Times in 2,239 Posts
Originally Posted by h2oxtc
I wouldn't necessarily disagree, OTOH, I've ridden with some groups that ride at a relatively relaxed pace and are definitely a fun social ride. Riding with a disciplined group is critical though IMO - it only takes one inexperienced cyclist to create a dangerous situation for everyone in the group. And you don't have to ride fast to crash.

Ran into a group the other day, called themselves "weezers and geezers". Not too fast, not too slow. Just right for me.
+1
I call it 'a time and a place for all things'. Solo rides, social rides and training rides all have their pleasures. There are much worse things in life than getting yelled at on a group ride. My father yelled at me a lot, and I learned more than a few good lessons. Personally, I'm glad I found cycling 25 years ago.
Old 05-08-14, 07:42 AM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
That thread is so very entertaining....and NOT to be taken seriously (I surely dont).
Old 05-08-14, 07:45 AM
-=(8)=-
♋ ☮♂ ☭ ☯

Bikes: Sngl Spd's, 70's- 80's vintage, D-tube Folder

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I feel It's one of the reasons we lowly gutter bunny, utilitarian riders feel the wrath of the auto-jihadists, sometimes. They lump us in with the spandex, Yelly-yell train gang riders. I've had them(angry roadies) yell at me before because they've had to de-clip at stop signs

I just let it go. No big deal. I have a very unique light on my bike that my morning traffic people know, I'm sure, and they treat me very well 'cuz they know I'm the one that stops with them, lets them by when I can and generally lives "share the road"
Old 05-08-14, 07:56 AM
Dudelsack 

Originally Posted by -=(8)=-
I feel It's one of the reasons we lowly gutter bunny, utilitarian riders feel the wrath of the auto-jihadists, sometimes. They lump us in with the spandex, Yelly-yell train gang riders. I've had them(angry roadies) yell at me before because they've had to de-clip at stop signs

I just let it go. No big deal. I have a very unique light on my bike that my morning traffic people know, I'm sure, and they treat me very well 'cuz they know I'm the one that stops with them, lets them by when I can and generally lives "share the road"
Speaking of gutter bunnies, I left Baptist East at 2 AM this AM and saw someoneall decked out in proper nighttime gear cycling about. Could that have been you? I mean, you do live in the Highlands.

Old 05-08-14, 08:12 AM
dannwilliams
Its only pain

Bikes: '18 Salsa Marrakesh, '14 Salsa Colossal, '89 GT Timberline

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
My thoughts EXACTLY!
Old 05-08-14, 08:17 AM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by Piratebike
Don't get me wrong I understand their need to ride like that,
I don't. I've always been a recreational/transportation/pleasure cyclist. Never been a racer. I get that some people race, but there is no need, it's just a sport. That I don't really care about.

There are several groups around here that are in line with the pace I like. One group does a Sunday night Pub Crawl at a leisurely pace; on Wednesdays they do a "fitness" ride that's still pretty laid back. They do sprints along the trail with regular meetup points. I usually do one or two of the sprints as fast as I can, and ride with the casual group the rest of the time.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 05-08-14, 10:08 AM
-=(8)=-
♋ ☮♂ ☭ ☯

Bikes: Sngl Spd's, 70's- 80's vintage, D-tube Folder

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Speaking of gutter bunnies, I left Baptist East at 2 AM this AM and saw someoneall decked out in proper nighttime gear cycling about. Could that have been you? I mean, you do live in the Highlands.
No. I leave at either 5:20 am or 6:20. I am lit up though. Just like the UFO you saw on a back road in WV!!

More importantly, are you OK? What would have you at Baptist at that undietyly hour?
Old 05-08-14, 10:51 AM
Dudelsack 

Originally Posted by -=(8)=-
No. I leave at either 5:20 am or 6:20. I am lit up though. Just like the UFO you saw on a back road in WV!!

More importantly, are you OK? What would have you at Baptist at that undietyly hour?
I'm fine. Tired but fine.

I work there

Old 05-08-14, 12:47 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 735 Times in 456 Posts
There is no wrong pace. I like to go fast and would get bored watching the scenery go by at 12 mph. Ding your bell when I go by and I'll probably wave back at you. (If I hear it.)
Old 05-08-14, 12:59 PM
spdracr39

Bikes: Lynskey Twisted Helix Di2 Ti, 1987 Orbea steel single speed/fixie, Orbea Avant M30, Trek Fuel EX9.8 29, Trek Madone 5 series, Specialized Epic Carbon Comp 29er, Trek 7.1F

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I ride to relax and study the forums for entertainment. There is none of either in the road bike forum so I just don't go there.
Old 05-09-14, 04:15 PM
JamieElenbaas
enthusiast

Bikes: 2010 BMC SL 01 Roadracer, 2012 Davidson Tandem

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Yankeetowner
I've learned much more about cycling from group rides than solo rides. In fact, the stronger riders have gone out of their way to help me become stronger. Several times I've had folks stay with me, or drop back for me, and pull me back to the group. They've explained interval training, the advantages of a higher cadence, and the advantages of heart rate monitors and power meters (although I haven't sprung for either yet). I have no illusions of greatness, but it is fun to push myself and to stay with a group going 20-24 mph. I just started riding again about a year ago, and even at my age (63+) I can now do short pulls at 20-22 mph and longer pulls at 18-20 mph. As far as yelling goes, no one yells in my regular group, and if I was in a group where folks were yelling at each other, I'd drop out and go solo. Life is too short, and I get enough yelling and theatrics at work.
+1!

Man, I hope I don't get as old as you old guys. Sure, I enjoy the occasional solo outing, but riding and training with younger stronger guys keeps me younger and stronger. The grace and teamwork of a well running pace line is one of the most beautiful and satisfying things in my life; and I consider my life to be blessed with more than the average amount of beauty and satisfaction.
Old 05-09-14, 04:26 PM
raqball

Originally Posted by spdracr39
I ride to relax and study the forums for entertainment. There is none of either in the road bike forum so I just don't go there.
There is plenty of entertainment in the road forums and in group rides.. Well, I consider it entertainment..

1) Listening to people argue and fight over their strava times = Entertainment
2) Sit back, relax and enjoy the 'mine is bigger than yours' attitudes = Entertainment
3) Ego, ego, ego, oh my = Pure entertainment

I use to go on group rides but got tired of the bickering, the egos and the attitudes.. I ride to enjoy myself and that is just not possible when half the group is stuck on themselves..
Old 05-10-14, 06:48 AM
tigrpal

Bikes: 2012 Breezer Uptown Infinity, 1984 Raleigh Team USA, 1995 Daimondback Crestview

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride to get away from people. Group rides don't make sense to me.
Old 05-10-14, 06:09 PM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
You know, not once have I read a derogatory comment in the Road forum about the 50+ forum. There may have been, but I don't recall any threads dedicated to it. Unlike the 50+ plus forum's apparent angst towards the Road one. This type of thread happens on a regular basis.

Significantly, there are quite a lot of 50+ riders who post in Road with very worthwhile and interesting material. Likewise down in the racing forums. Equally significantly, they rarely post in the 50+ forum...

You guys do realise that your behaviour is little different to that displayed in the Road forum and which you choose to criticise, don't you? But that you do it in a rather more nefarious way, because you think you are "protected" by the 50+ walls and those whom you attack won't fight back?
Old 05-10-14, 06:15 PM
raqball

Originally Posted by Rowan
you think you are "protected" by the 50+ walls and those whom you attack won't fight back?
Seriously???
Fight back? LOL

Last edited by raqball; 05-10-14 at 10:19 PM.
Old 05-11-14, 09:40 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Well said, Rowan, very well said.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 05-16-14, 07:00 AM
TXsailor

Bikes: Origin-8 Lactic Acid Giant Escape 2 Centurian Lemans 12 Kuwahara Tandem 1989 Ironman Expert 1988 Ironman Master

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 59 Posts
Threads like that one kept me from riding with anyone except family for a good while. Finally I was convinced to try our local group. I showed up riding a hybrid with sketcher shoes regular shorts & a t-shirt. Another first timer (a young lady) was on a mountain bike dressed about the same. All the regulars had full kits and road bikes. No one laughed (at least not out loud) and away we went. I stayed at the back and a couple of fast riders took off doing their own thing. I found I could keep up and was soon riding along visiting with a nice looking lady 2/3 my age. One couple dropped back to make sure the girl on the mountain bike could keep up and was having a good time. The ride was over way too soon! Now I ride with some of them at least a couple times a week. I have found one lady who is close to my age and we ride about the same pace. She has talked me into doing 3 events and we are doing another tomorrow, my first metric century. I would have never done a event if I hadn't met them.

The moral of this story is all groups are not the same so don't short change your self because of threads on here!
Old 05-16-14, 01:25 PM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
Many people enjoy a challenge outside of their work. One man I know from the skiing world likes ultra marathons. Many others enjoy the effort put into perfecting a twist serve in tennis or developing a blistering backhand to the extent of spending good money on regular lessons or tennis camps, all for amateur competition. For some reason, others enjoy criticizing those who enjoy competition and the comraderie it engenders. I think Rowan has it right.