Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Which takes more situational awareness...

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.
View Poll Results: Which takes more situational awareness under similar traffic conditions.
Driving
6.38%
Cycling
31.91%
Driving and cycling take equal SA
61.70%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-09, 03:32 PM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts

Driving or cycling under similar conditions... and why?
Old 03-09-09, 03:44 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
I give equal when motoring or cycling, but proportioned differently
Old 03-09-09, 04:22 PM
Patrick_C

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Equivalent.

Every vehicle operator (and pedestrian, for that matter) should be acutely aware of every other person on the road(s) around them that has the potential to kill or be killed by them.

The form of driving should differ across vehicle types, not the attentiveness.
Old 03-09-09, 04:28 PM
timmhaan
more ape than man

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
maybe i don't understand the question...but there are more situations to be aware of on a bike.

in a car, i'm not as concerned with:

broken glass
loose dirt
uneven surfaces
lack of visibility
etc.

on a bike, i have to be aware of all that, plus everything else i would if i were driving.
Old 03-09-09, 06:18 PM
crhilton

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Cycling because I have to be aware of passing traffic in my lane. It's much more difficult to track vehicles passing you than the vehicle you're passing.

Cycling because I'm more likely to be able to slip in between the lines somewhere instead of waiting, but doing so requires greater care.

Cycling because it's harder to do a track stand than stop a car and restart and it's harder to put a foot down and restart than do a track stand and restart so I have to plan my "stops."

Cycling because when traffic gets moving again I have a half horse power to get started up (if I'm feeling very strong) where in a car I'd have plenty of power for my weight so I can stop and go abruptly.
Old 03-09-09, 07:41 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Liked 3,713 Times in 2,531 Posts
I have a little problem with the question, because in general you have more SA on a bike than driving a car. However, you need it because cagers do not have as much information available to them, and ignore most of the information that is available to them.

There used to be a section of 2 lane highway near here that interrupted a 4 lane highway. Many people would go significantly lower than the speed limit, even though there was zero cross traffic and the roadway was smooth, wide and had gradual corners. Even then they were not exactly keeping their cars on a smooth trajectory. I finally realized that a lot of motorists are actually having at least a little difficulty keeping their vehicle on the road. It was a sobering realization.
Old 03-09-09, 07:50 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by genec
...why?
I voted both the same...

On a bike, the danger of my personal injury from a minor mistake is greater than a car. Falling off of 2 wheels for whatever reason will always hurt.

In a car, even though safer from minor mishaps, there comes the added responsibility of piloting a missile at high speeds while basically insulated from many cues in the outside world.

I drive a car very very differently than I ride a bike. I do not want the hassles involved with crashes - not to mention seriously hurting someone else. My personal "radar" is on full alert bike or car. I take nothing for granted.
Old 03-09-09, 07:54 PM
-=(8)=-
♋ ☮♂ ☭ ☯

Bikes: Sngl Spd's, 70's- 80's vintage, D-tube Folder

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
From years of motorcycle riding my head is on a swivel, always
Car and bike. But with the bike, I know Im going to be in someones blind spot
somewhere in a line of traffic and possibly suffer the wrath of a redneck if I
go vehicular and inconvenience someone, but this is a regional issue.
Old 03-10-09, 09:45 AM
SlimAgainSoon

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Bike -- no contest.

Heck, I see drivers diddling around with phones, CDs, burgers, buddies ... sometimes kinda nodding off.

Doesn't appear to take all that much just to point that Pontiac down the road and hit the gas.
Old 03-10-09, 10:22 AM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Both...situational awareness is not measured by degrees and is required by both activities.
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 03-10-09, 10:27 AM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
stop being so sensible chip
Old 03-10-09, 07:54 PM
uke
it's easy if you let it.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Cycling. You can't get away with nearly as much on a bicycle as you can in a car.
Old 03-10-09, 07:57 PM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by uke
Cycling. You can't get away with nearly as much on a bicycle as you can in a car.
So basically you feel that if you are surrounded by that steel cage you can 'get away' with more. Interesting. Perhaps, if you drove with the same sense of exposure you have on your bike, you'd be a better driver.
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 03-10-09, 08:05 PM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by chipcom
So basically you feel that if you are surrounded by that steel cage you can 'get away' with more. Interesting. Perhaps, if you drove with the same sense of exposure you have on your bike, you'd be a better driver.
Yeah, but people don't do they...

Which begs the question... which really requires more situational awareness and why?
Old 03-10-09, 08:07 PM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by genec
Yeah, but people don't do they...

Which begs the question... which really requires more situational awareness and why?
already answered. My level of situational awareness does not vary based on the activity, nor is it dictated by the lack of competence of others. I would hope others do the same, for their own sakes.
Old 03-20-09, 05:38 PM
BarracksSi
Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped.

Bikes: Some bikes. Hell, they're all the same, ain't they?

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by SlimAgainSoon
Bike -- no contest.

Heck, I see drivers diddling around with phones, CDs, burgers, buddies ... sometimes kinda nodding off.

Doesn't appear to take all that much just to point that Pontiac down the road and hit the gas.
If cyclists had a hand free for a burger, or could ride half-asleep, they'd be just as bad. I'm sure you've seen people riding hands-free while holding a cell phone to their head (heh... that's not what they mean by "hands-free cell phone usage".. ).

Bike or car, I've seen people do stuff that I tell myself to never do.

Riding a bike means taking note of more immediate hazards as mentioned earlier -- glass, potholes, etc. Not only is a car less likely to be affected by such hazards, but it's also less maneuverable, and you won't be able to jink out of the way quickly enough or without hitting something else in the process.

Driving a car means taking note of hazards farther ahead as well as nearby. The combination of greater speed and less flexibility means that you need to plan longer in advance and look farther ahead. If you need to switch lanes, you need to be keeping track of other vehicles a good distance ahead and to the rear -- as far as a city block, or maybe even farther on high speed roads.
Old 03-20-09, 07:36 PM
Zan

Bikes: Road: Trek 1.5 (2007). Mountain: Santa Cruz Chameleon (2008). Beater: Peugeot Recorde du Monde (1850)

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
people screw me around when i ride a bike.

when i ride 'round in my car, people back off.

when it comes to the intersection, if I have right of way in my car, they give me right of way. If i'm on my bike, somehow they always get right of way.

i feel that when i'm on the bike, i have to constantly be aware of what is in front of me, what is on my sides, and what is behind me. I have to scan ahead EVERY drive that I pass in case some inattentive driver doesn't see me and decides to back out and take me out in the process. I don't mind having to give this extra attention - kinda makes the sport more intense. When I'm in the car, other drivers take me a little more seriously, and have an easier time seeing me.
Old 03-21-09, 07:45 AM
San Rensho 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 91 Posts
In general, I would say that driving a car is slightly more difficult than riding a bicycle, since when you are driving a car, you are going at higher speeds, and at higher speeds more things are happening more quickly, so you have more inputs to process in the same time period.

But as far as situational awareness goes, whether I bicycle or whether I drive a car the intensity of taking everything in it's basically the same. I try to "look nowhere, but see everything" whether biking or driving.

1980 3Rensho-- 1975 Raleigh Sprite 3spd
1990s Raleigh M20 MTB--2007 Windsor Hour (track)
1988 Ducati 750 F1
Old 03-21-09, 09:58 AM
hotbike

Bikes: a lowrider BMX, a mountain bike, a faired recumbent, and a loaded touring bike

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 75 Posts
I replied "same", but I want to add that a car isolates the driver from noise, wind and road conditions, and cars have "blind spots" because of their roof pillars. So it's hard or impossible for a driver To be as Situationally Aware as a cyclist.
Old 03-21-09, 10:08 AM
cyclezealot

Bikes: Klein QP, Fuji touring, Surly Cross Check, BCH City bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1485 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 64 Posts
Being in that cage, might lead to a greater sense of security. But, with it's higher speeds, its a false sense of security. They are equal in danger. Being broad sided by a truck in a car is little different than what we feel on a bike..
However, I think I feel a greater sense of safety on the bike.. I think that solid line separating cyclists from motorists rage, makes me think I am not in competition with fellow motorists for that piece of asphalt up ahead.

^ Since January 1, 2012