Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Sweet spot gravel tire width?

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Sweet spot gravel tire width?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-24, 11:34 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5008 Post(s)
Liked 8,187 Times in 3,874 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave Mayer
I was running 42s on smooth hard gravel on a current generation high-end gravel/endurance bike. Was like riding a farm tractor. I swapped the tires out for slick 32s pumped up harder, and noticed a definite improvement in speed and cornering.

Final test was going back to my old steel road bike with 23's pumped up hard, and was impressed on how much faster this setup was. Overall bike weights and fit was about the same, although the wheels and tires on the vintage road setup were much much lighter and more responsive. Obviously not for loose conditions. If you go fast enough, the narrow tires just plane over the little stuff.

If I was riding real gravel, then I'd save myself a whole bunch of fuss and money and pull out my 1991 Rocky Mountain with 26" wheels and 2" tires.
If you're only riding on one kind of surface, you can optimize your tire selection for that surface. For me, gravel bike rides are always a mix of surfaces, and finding a tire that handles everything competently is the challenge.

As for "harder is faster", this isn't supported by science. Harder is faster up to a point, but there is a break point where increased pressure becomes slower at a much quicker rate. You're actually better off running a little under optimum pressure than you are being over optimum pressure. The rougher the surface, the lower the optimum pressure.
https://silca.cc/blogs/silca/part-4b...-and-impedance
Old 04-24-24, 12:39 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 5008 Post(s)
Liked 8,187 Times in 3,874 Posts
Originally Posted by zandoval
When doing Ravel and Gravel I am most comfortable between 38mm to 34mm. If I need anything more then its time to go to a Mountain Bike. I have never ridden a True modern day specific Gravel Bike. Just my old beaters. The new Gravel bikes certainly do look real nice.

And for the new Mountain Bikes I have one word, "Complex".
What I generally find with wider tires is more confidence (equates to more speed) when conditions get demanding. I can be less picky about my line, and have better grip for cornering on loose surfaces. Cornering grip is also largely affected by tread pattern, particularly for the front tire. Of course, there's a trade-off. Tires that are great in loose conditions tend to be slower on pavement or hard dirt. One thing I have definitely found is that width is not the only factor in determining how a tire will perform.
Old 04-24-24, 03:26 PM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2997 Post(s)
Liked 1,192 Times in 775 Posts
There are people that still believe 23 road tires are faster than 32s. That is not the case.
Likes For prj71:
Old 04-25-24, 02:54 AM
Fentuz

Bikes: Dahon Jetstream p8 (sold), customized Dahon Helios x10, customzed Dahon Smooth Hound x11,customized Dahon Hammerhead 8.0 d7, Planet X Free Ranger (mullet setup 1x11), Planet X Giovanissimi 20 (1x9), Frog 52 (1x9) and Frog 48 1s

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 244 Times in 180 Posts
Originally Posted by Sierra_rider
My gravel bike is currently running 42mm S-works Pathfinder Pros. I was aiming for a fast rolling set up with these and it does that well...these are a really great set up for light gravel or a gravel/road mix. In the future, I might set up another wheel set with 2.0" XC MTB tires...more specifically, the Continental Race Kings(if they'll actually fit.) Not to get too nerdy but, these tires test faster than most gravel tires on the rolling resistance website...I run the 2.2" version on my XC bike and can confirm that they are fast, but with better traction.
yes they are, i race with them on lighter wheels
Likes For Fentuz:
Old 04-25-24, 06:53 AM
justin1138

Bikes: yes...

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 17 Posts
Wide tires aren't just for mountain bikes. All the newest iterations of gravel bikes (and a lot of cross bikes) have quite generous clearances. Throw some meaty rubber on there and go have fun people!
Likes For justin1138:
Old 04-26-24, 09:37 PM
PrincipalRider

Bikes: 2020 Niner RIP9 RDO, 2022 OptOut Hooky, 2023 Salsa Journeyer, 1997 Trek Multitrack 720

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 5 Posts
I run 700x38c Specialized Tracers and they feel perfect for road riding to single track.
Old 04-27-24, 05:36 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 11012 Post(s)
Liked 7,542 Times in 4,217 Posts
When doing Ravel and Gravel I am most comfortable between 38mm to 34mm. If I need anything more then its time to go to a Mountain Bike. I have never ridden a True modern day specific Gravel Bike. Just my old beaters. The new Gravel bikes certainly do look real nice.

And for the new Mountain Bikes I have one word, "Complex".
'ravel'? I hope to live long enough to forget reading that. Please dont use that word moving forward.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 04-27-24, 05:38 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Originally Posted by Dave Mayer
I was running 42s on smooth hard gravel on a current generation high-end gravel/endurance bike. Was like riding a farm tractor. I swapped the tires out for slick 32s pumped up harder, and noticed a definite improvement in speed and cornering.

Final test was going back to my old steel road bike with 23's pumped up hard, and was impressed on how much faster this setup was. Overall bike weights and fit was about the same, although the wheels and tires on the vintage road setup were much much lighter and more responsive. Obviously not for loose conditions. If you go fast enough, the narrow tires just plane over the little stuff.

If I was riding real gravel, then I'd save myself a whole bunch of fuss and money and pull out my 1991 Rocky Mountain with 26" wheels and 2" tires.
You ruin General and Road forums. This Gravel forum is already a shell of its former self- please don't infect it too.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 04-27-24, 08:49 PM
Sierra_rider

Bikes: Santa Cruz Blur 4 TR, Canyon Endurace cf sl, Canyon Ultimate cf slx, Canyon Strive enduro, Canyon Grizl sl8

Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked 919 Times in 365 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
'ravel'? I hope to live long enough to forget reading that. Please dont use that word moving forward.
I prefer to refer to a road and light gravel ride as a "groad" ride. I normally hate when different words are combined to make a new word, but "groad" sounds dirty to me for some reason, and I like that about it.
Likes For Sierra_rider:
Old 04-27-24, 11:43 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 979 Post(s)
Liked 1,644 Times in 1,056 Posts
You ruin General and Road forums. This Gravel forum is already a shell of its former self- please don't infect it too.
I really do get your concern. You are right. But what people called Gravel Bikes years ago seem to no longer qualify. Same thing going with Mountain Bikes and those rare Steel Road Bikes. I think its what roads ya ride and not necessarily what bike you are riding on it. I dont ride Gravel Roads but I do ride Ravel Roads. In many areas Ravel roads abound. Maybe I should just call my bikes Torn Up Asphalt Bikes.

My short Torn Up Asphalt rides can be tough no matter what bike I am ridding. And honestly I am just happy to still be riding...
Old 04-28-24, 12:34 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

I really do get your concern. You are right. But what people called Gravel Bikes years ago seem to no longer qualify. Same thing going with Mountain Bikes and those rare Steel Road Bikes. I think its what roads ya ride and not necessarily what bike you are riding on it. I dont ride Gravel Roads but I do ride Ravel Roads. In many areas Ravel roads abound. Maybe I should just call my bikes Torn Up Asphalt Bikes.

My short Torn Up Asphalt rides can be tough no matter what bike I am ridding. And honestly I am just happy to still be riding...
Red text - I have no idea what you are talking about.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 04-28-24, 11:57 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,709 Times in 2,528 Posts
There's an argument going on in long distance about what to call the surface on an unpaved trail. Now we're arguing about what to call gravel bikes?
Is nothing sacred?
Likes For unterhausen: