Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Bontrager Aeolus Pro 51 Tubeless Tire Help

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-22, 09:55 PM
Jayblhkg

Bikes: 2021 Domane SL5, 2018 Checkpoint ALR4, 2016 Superfly 6

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have spent the last few hours looking at threads about tubeless tires for road bikes. I think I have a good idea of what tires may work best, but I wanted to get some real-world feedback on mounting the tires to the Aeolus Pro wheelset. Besides mounting the tires in a garage, I have concerns about fixing flats on the road if I need to install a tube. The wheelset is being installed on a 2021 Domane SL5. I plan on installing 28cc tires (I could be convinced to use 25cc) and the Bontrager rim strip since I am terrible with rim tape. I use Stan's sealant on my mountain bike, but I am open to trying something different. Here are the tires I am considering, but I am open to other suggestions:
-Bontrager R3
-Continental GP5000
-Pirelli P Zero
-Schwalbe Pro 1

Background: 40 years old, 5'10"/165 lbs., 2000+ miles a year, ride a few group rides (60-100 miles per) a year.
Old 03-02-22, 10:14 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked 10,963 Times in 4,688 Posts
What, precisely, are your "concerns"?
Likes For Koyote:
Old 03-02-22, 10:43 PM
yaw
should be more popular

Bikes: 22 Emonda

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 84 Posts
Couple things I would consider

1. Would 28mm bulge out on those Aeolus 51 detracting from aero benefits? You may get away with 28mm as the specs suggest they are wider than the Aeolus 35 I have, for which I definitely need 25mm to have a proper aero profile. Since I can't report major comfort differences between 25 and 28 on the front in the 70 PSI range, with a 28 on the rear where aero is less of a concern, I would suggest making the rim profile a priority over any comfort/handling concerns as both widths perform just fine - so you may as well.

2. Whilst I am not a fan of Bontrager tyres, you may find that they will probably be easier to deal with in that Bontrager universe when it comes to getting these on and off on the side of the road. Out of those tyre choices I would go with the Contis (5000 S TR) if that was not a concern, but I did hear some stories about the tubeless Contis not going on Bontrager wheels at all with even the LBS giving up, whilst the tubed clinchers go on without levers. This tightness issue would have been the TL version, maybe that has changed for the S TR.
Old 03-02-22, 10:58 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
A few things, in no particular order:
  • I wouldn't recommend using Stans sealant with road tires.
  • I never used the rim strips on my old Domane/Bontragers - are they one-time use or will they stay in there for multiple tires?
  • What rim tape have you been bad with? Tubeless rim tape, in general, can be tough to work with because it doesn't give very much. DT Swiss tubeless rim tape is fantastic, though - it's got just the right amount of stretch which makes it so, so, so much nicer to work with than the tapes like Stan's.
  • Speaking of Stan's, I wouldn't recommend using Stans sealant with road tires.
  • Changing a tire out in the field shouldn't happen very often if you use a good sealant (I wouldn't recommend using Stans sealant with road tires), you check that sealant every so often, and you carry plugs/darts. If you do need to resort to a tube, it's not much different. It can be a little messy, but your efforts prior should have expelled most of the sealant, anyway.
  • Oh, one last thing - I wouldn't recommend using Stans sealant with road tires.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 03-02-22, 11:39 PM
robbyville

Bikes: Speedvagen Steel

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked 248 Times in 156 Posts
I haven’t used the R3 tires in quite a few years but when I did I really liked them. Good wear and good weight, not difficult to put on. Don’t use Stan’s sealant (has that been said yet )

I like the Orange seal best some day not to get the endurance but it’s all that’s available in my neck
if the woods and I haven’t had any problems.

I’ve had to put in a tube maybe twice in 7 years, no big deal just empty the sealant out of the tire and avoid getting it on your shoes or shorts. I still have stains that look similar to blowing my nose that won’t come out lol. I carry plugs just in case now but I’ve never used them yet.

im currently still using the Conti GP 5000’s , nasty hard to get on but ooh tire. Will try some of the Schwalbe Addix series next when I can get my hands on them. Oh yeah I recently re did my rims with the DT tubeless tape, darn good highly recommend despite the price.

have fun!
Old 03-03-22, 06:04 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked 10,963 Times in 4,688 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
A few things, in no particular order:
  • I never used the rim strips on my old Domane/Bontragers - are they one-time use or will they stay in there for multiple tires?
  • What rim tape have you been bad with? Tubeless rim tape, in general, can be tough to work with because it doesn't give very much. DT Swiss tubeless rim tape is fantastic, though - it's got just the right amount of stretch which makes it so, so, so much nicer to work with than the tapes like Stan's.
  • Speaking of Stan's, I wouldn't recommend using Stans sealant with road tires.
  • Changing a tire out in the field shouldn't happen very often if you use a good sealant (I wouldn't recommend using Stans sealant with road tires), you check that sealant every so often, and you carry plugs/darts. If you do need to resort to a tube, it's not much different. It can be a little messy, but your efforts prior should have expelled most of the sealant, anyway.
  • Oh, one last thing - I wouldn't recommend using Stans sealant with road tires.

So, Stan's sealant should work, then?
Likes For Koyote:
Old 03-03-22, 06:27 AM
Jayblhkg

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all the replies!
-My concern is having difficulty mounting a tire on the side of the road if it is too tight with the Bontrager wheels.
-I will not use Stan's; I guess I will try the Orange Seal.
-It sounds like the Conti GP 5000 are a great tire, but they would probably be a pain to mount on these wheels
-I have darts and plugs in my flat kit
-If I tape, I will try the DT Swiss tape
-The strip that comes with the rim is plastic and formed to the interior, so it should last several tires if I use that
-Trek/Bontrager stated that with the internal width, the rim was designed for a 28 but was also suited for a 25. I currently have a 32 on the Domane and a 38 on my checkpoint, so the narrower tires are a new thing for me
Old 03-03-22, 06:39 AM
SkepticalOne

Bikes: 2021 Trek Emonda SL7, 2019 Trek Checkpoint ALR4, 2020 Trek P1 Domane SLR7

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 43 Posts
Bontrager Aeolus carbon wheels (with tubeless rim strips and valves) are some of the most liveable wheels for road tubeless as compared with some other makes I have tried such as ENVE. With the lack of tape when using bontrager's own rimstrip (albeit adding more wight) and simple tire levers in the worst case, you should have no struggle beyond any standard tube swap you've ever experienced, all things being equal. Of course some tires are tighter than others. I agree with WhyFi re: Stans for road tubeless. I recommend the blue Bontrager stuff or Orange Sealant. Good luck!

I own and use the following all setup tubeless:
  • ENVE 4.5AR Disc (Schwalbe Pro One, 30c, Bontrager Sealant)
  • Aeolus RSL 37V (Schwalbe Pro One, 30c, Bontrager Sealant)
  • Aelous Pro 3V (GravelKing SS, 42c, Bontrager Sealant)
  • Aeolus Pro 37 (Schwalbe Pro One, 28c, Bontrager Sealant)

Last edited by SkepticalOne; 03-03-22 at 06:43 AM.
Old 03-03-22, 08:41 AM
Mojo31
-------

Quoted: 9653 Post(s)
Liked 6,365 Times in 3,505 Posts
I have the Pro 37s on my Domane SL5. I'm currently using the size 28 R3 tires, and they have been very nice. The profile on the wheel is very nice as well. I haven't had any problem getting them on or off the wheel. I do run with tubes, but expect they might be even better running tubeless.
Old 03-03-22, 12:01 PM
Jayblhkg

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks everyone. I ordered some orange seal and will see if anyone has the R3s or Schwalbe Pro Ones locally.
Old 03-03-22, 02:15 PM
Bici Veloce

Bikes: 2023 S-Works Tarmac SL7 Dura-Ace Di2, 2022 Cervelo Caledonia-5 SRAM Rival etap AXS, 2019 Specialized Sirrus Elite Alloy, 1977 Schwinn Super LeTour 12.2, 85 Bianchi Limited Shimano New 600EX

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Jayblhkg
Thanks everyone. I ordered some orange seal and will see if anyone has the R3s or Schwalbe Pro Ones locally.
I recently purchased a second set of Schwalbe Pro Ones. The best price I could find was a place called the Bike Closet online. Cost was $60 each, plus $10 shipping. I had them within two or three days after ordering. They are great tires.
Old 03-03-22, 08:19 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Quoted: 766 Post(s)
Liked 1,737 Times in 1,012 Posts
Originally Posted by Jayblhkg
... Aeolus Pro wheelset.

I have the Aeolus Pro 51's and the Aeolus Pro 3v's for my SLR 7 Domane and the Bontrager R3 mount without any issues (obviously) , however I have been running the Pirelli P Zero Race TLR in 28's and 30's and they can be mounted using a floor pump. Come on and off without any issues. I also run the Aeolus Pro 5 (rim brake version) on my Emonda and have P Zero Race TLR in 28's and again, mount with a floor pump. I use the Bontrager rim strip. They have been super wheels and I really enjoy the wheel \tire combo. Bontrager worked with Pirelli so it make sense that the tires were easy to mount.

Just checked the width: On the Pro 51's, my 30mm Pirelli's measure out to 31.8mm, on the Pro 5's, the 28mm measure out to 27.8mm

Unless you dig the rim strips and damage them, they can be used for multiple tires mounts. I also use Orange Seal Endurance and it has worked great. I did not like the Bontrager sealant as it clogged my valves quickly and also created a slug of sealant in my tire.

My wife's bike has the Aeolus Pro 37's and I have the P Zero Race in 28's (not TLR) and they can come on and off without issues.

Best price for the Pirelli's is Lord Gun, and if you are shipping to the US, I get them in Florida from Italy in 3 days for $18, you can not beat that.

Last edited by jaxgtr; 03-03-22 at 08:36 PM.
Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 03-03-22, 08:31 PM
Rdmonster69
Shawn of the Dead

Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 448 Times in 216 Posts
I have the Aeolus Pro 3V's as well.

I had to replace the factory rear R3 due to a defect. I replaced it with a Conti GP5000 ..... Im telling you that after mounting that without tools I believe I can mount anything. I believe it will be much easier if I have to dismount it to repair it since that's the way it goes usually.

I use Vittorio sealant because that what my LBS has in stock. Will switch maybe as I need to redo the sealant.
Old 03-03-22, 08:47 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Originally Posted by Rdmonster69
I have the Aeolus Pro 3V's as well.

I had to replace the factory rear R3 due to a defect. I replaced it with a Conti GP5000 ..... Im telling you that after mounting that without tools I believe I can mount anything.
You could mount that tire without tools ???? . I watched a buddy of mine nearly break his hands on those tires which is why I stayed away from them. I drove back to the house to get my kool stop tire jack to allow him to mount the tire.

Old 03-03-22, 08:56 PM
Rdmonster69
Shawn of the Dead

Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 448 Times in 216 Posts
Originally Posted by jaxgtr
You could mount that tire without tools ???? . I watched a buddy of mine nearly break his hands on those tires which is why I stayed away from them. I drove back to the house to get my kool stop tire jack to allow him to mount the tire.
I used a bit of soap solution on the last section but I did it. I had blood blisters on my hands from how hard it was to roll the last 6 inches or so on.
Old 03-04-22, 01:04 AM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Quoted: 430 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 318 Posts
While I cannot speak to the wheelset in question, based on my experience with the Bontrager Paradigm Elite tubeless wheels (with the OEM rim tape), I found these to be very hassle-free. Getting tires on and off was very easy with regular levers and I can get the tubeless setup seated with just a floor pump even without sealant (of course I fill the sealant through the valve once the tire has been seated).
Old 03-04-22, 07:14 PM
FrankTuna

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 18 Posts
I have these wheels and they're fantastic. I've been using Schwalbe Pro One's which I could mount by hand, along with Orange Seal which seals beautifully. I initially used the rim strips but tires would be flat in 2 days. I taped with 25mm DT Swiss tape and I only have to top off weekly now.
Old 03-05-22, 10:22 PM
guachi

Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 179 Posts
I have RSL 51 wheels with 28mm Bontrager R3 tires on my Domane SLR7 and I managed to get them set up tubeless and I'd never done it before. The R3 is not as ridiculously easy to mount as the R1, which I could do easily by hand, but not the awful horror show that GP5000s were.
Old 03-06-22, 06:52 PM
jaxgtr

Originally Posted by FrankTuna
I have these wheels and they're fantastic. I've been using Schwalbe Pro One's which I could mount by hand, along with Orange Seal which seals beautifully. I initially used the rim strips but tires would be flat in 2 days. I taped with 25mm DT Swiss tape and I only have to top off weekly now.

I suspect the core or the valve was a little loose. I had this once and once I tightened up the core a little more, it resolved the issue.

Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 03-06-22, 06:58 PM
FrankTuna

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by jaxgtr
I suspect the core or the valve was a little loose. I had this once and once I tightened up the core a little more, it resolved the issue.
I ended up with sealant underneath the rim strips. Not sure how that happened (maybe just bad luck ) but I've been super happy with the DT Swiss tape.
Old 03-06-22, 07:42 PM
jaxgtr

Originally Posted by FrankTuna
I ended up with sealant underneath the rim strips. Not sure how that happened (maybe just bad luck ) but I've been super happy with the DT Swiss tape.
Oh ok, yea when I was putting mine on, I noticed I had a high spot near the valve hole and had to push it down a little more so it would be seated fully.

Last edited by jaxgtr; 03-09-22 at 07:09 PM.
Likes For jaxgtr: