Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Rear wheel clunky sound

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Rear wheel clunky sound

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-23, 04:15 AM
Crouz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rear wheel clunky sound

Hi,
when I ride my e-bike, I get this weird clunky sound coming from the rear wheel. The sound happens once per wheel rotation.
here is the strange thing, the sound doesn’t happen when my son or my wife use the bike. I am heavier than them and we think my weight affects the bike somehow. Friends and family have tried and the sound happens only when someone heavy rides the bike. I know one solution which is to lose weight, what else could be done, preferably to the bike and not to me ?
Old 05-14-23, 05:23 AM
soyabean

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 568 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 281 Posts
I know exactly what is wrong.

In fact, I didn't even need to see photos or video of the bike.

It's like, I can predit the year make and model of the bike just by the writing style.
Likes For soyabean:
Old 05-14-23, 06:42 AM
Crouz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Very helpful, thank you
Old 05-14-23, 08:17 AM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 & 2019 Cervelo R3’s & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 891 Post(s)
Liked 1,242 Times in 718 Posts
Crouz
welcome to bike forums.

There are so many causes of noise in a bike.
Being able to help with the diagnosis, while not being able to see/hear the bike in person is tough.

The help you receive will be proportional to the help you can provide.

No brand, type, age, even approximate weights of the rider in question, would all help.
Some people even post video of their clunks.

Please don’t be upset by the reply, you fell into the trap!
and being this is the internet, we get to have a little fun.

all the best

Barry
Likes For Barry2:
Old 05-14-23, 08:27 AM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 & 2019 Cervelo R3’s & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

I’ll start the ball rolling…….

“Riding the bike” tells us, not much!

Does the bike clunk when…..
1. You coast on the bike, no peddling, no power.
2. You pedal, no power
3. No pedal, light power (if you bike allows this)
4. No pedal, heavy power?
5. Peddle and power uphill
6. Peddle and power on the flat, no acceleration
7. Peddle and power down a gentle slope.

See, I had to ask 7 questions because you didn’t know to volunteer more details.

Barry
Old 05-14-23, 12:34 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse x2, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata 3

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2067 Post(s)
Liked 1,560 Times in 1,081 Posts
Originally Posted by Crouz
... I get this weird clunky sound coming from the rear wheel. The sound happens once per wheel rotation.
here is the strange thing, the sound doesn’t happen when my son or my wife use the bike. I am heavier than them and we think my weight affects the bike somehow. Friends and family have tried and the sound happens only when someone heavy rides the bike. I know one solution which is to lose weight, what else could be done, preferably to the bike and not to me ?
More information on the e-bike and rear wheel would be helpful. Otherwise, if you have another rear wheel that is compatible with this bike, swap rear wheels to see (and hear) if the clunking persists or changes in nature.
Old 05-14-23, 12:48 PM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

OP has been to this site since questions were posted, but has not answered.
I think we chased em off !

Barry
Old 05-16-23, 09:02 PM
Sonofamechanic 
Go Ride!

Bikes: Klein Quantum Pro, Klein Attitude, Azuki SS, Merckx AXM, Klein Quantum Race, Klein Quantum

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 160 Times in 90 Posts
If this helps, i had a similar issue with my rear wheel—only a noise with weight on the bike—ended up being a spoke out of tension—so you could run the wheel over to your local bike shop(LBS) and have them check spoke tension? Its an easy start anyway.
Old 05-16-23, 11:01 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 3936 Post(s)
Liked 6,623 Times in 3,276 Posts
Is it a clunk or a clomp? Sometimes, a knock can be mistaken for a ping. A real clunk is bad. Way worse than a whirl-zoot-whirl-zoot.
Old 05-16-23, 11:59 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 4498 Post(s)
Liked 4,184 Times in 2,801 Posts
To those coming across this thread or maybe to Crouz when posting about an issue you need to provide information and lots of good information. Nobody can magically guess out of billions of bicycles which one you have and even still no one can guess what you might have changed or not changed nor how you ride nor how much you weigh nor really anything without you telling us. All we see is the text on the screen that you wrote and if there is nothing to glean from it nobody can actually help you in any real way other than pointing this sort of stuff out.

A lot of people post sarcastic comments because we have seen this over and over and over and over and over and over and over again and it does get tiring. It also just doesn't make sense to a lot of people. Most of us would think if I had an issue and needed help with said issue I would post as many details as I could so I could get the best help possible. Even through the sarcasm we do want to help you but we simply can't because you don't wish to help us with the most crucial element to this; useful information.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 05-17-23, 05:17 AM
Sonofamechanic 
Go Ride!

Bikes: Klein Quantum Pro, Klein Attitude, Azuki SS, Merckx AXM, Klein Quantum Race, Klein Quantum

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 160 Times in 90 Posts
Yeah….I think you are giving way too much rope to those who choose to respond with sarcasm to a newbie’s attempt at a question.
Likes For Sonofamechanic:
Old 05-17-23, 12:54 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 4498 Post(s)
Liked 4,184 Times in 2,801 Posts
Originally Posted by Sonofamechanic
Yeah….I think you are giving way too much rope to those who choose to respond with sarcasm to a newbie’s attempt at a question.
No I am being realistic, it is an internet forum where these types of no-information questions keep getting asked over and over. People sometimes respond with sarcasm because it is basic common sense or one would think to provide useful information. I get it seems harsh but this is not a face to face conversation this is the internet and while we shouldn't be absolutely horrible to each other, we should have a slightly thicker skin and ability to let things roll off.

I get what you are saying and not saying I totally disagree and sometimes we can come off harsher then needed because sometimes people truly don't know and have provided good info to the best of their ability but when people don't even try I don't think it is absurd to blow a little steam so long as we don't get super nasty.