Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Friction Shifter at Stem Quick Release

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-23, 09:36 PM
P.L.Jensen
Pedal Pusher

Bikes: 1970 Peugeot PX-10 single speed - 1992 Ibis Cousin It Tandem - Zizzo Liberte’ Folding Bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 245 Times in 82 Posts

I have a Zizzo Liberte’ folding bike and today I modified a Sun Race friction shifter to mount at the stem height quick release bolt… The handlebars can go up and down and the shifter stays in the same place… This position reduces cable length and results in crisp shifting… It also frees up handlebar space…

The Sun Race shifter cost less than $10…:Typically these are thumb shifters… To mount it at the QR bolt, I used tin snips to trim the attachment bands and drilled one hole for the QR bolt to pass through… The opposite side of the band is slotted and fit at the barrel bolt on the QR lever side… Time invested: 15 minutes…

I’m running a Campy drivetrain on my Liberte so I also modified the metal shift lever to accept a Campy rubber shifter cover and used a similar Campy lever pressure wing bolt… Nice to have a goor friction shifter that is good looking and works great…

Likes For P.L.Jensen:
Old 04-13-23, 10:05 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3901 Post(s)
Liked 4,844 Times in 2,233 Posts
@P.L.Jensen - that is a great innovation!.

May we have a pic of the whole front end and also the bike. Please.
Happy to wait 'til bars are wrapped, etc. If you are one of those phastiddyious types.
Old 04-13-23, 10:36 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4360 Post(s)
Liked 4,002 Times in 2,671 Posts
That is interetesting probably way nicer parts on that thing then it deserves but a cool modification none the less.
Old 04-15-23, 08:59 AM
frogman

Bikes: Wife says I have too many :-)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 250 Times in 158 Posts
Very nice ! Can you give more information on what model Sunrace friction shifter ? I may try to use one myself on my grocery store
utility bike.
Old 04-15-23, 10:27 AM
P.L.Jensen
Pedal Pusher

Bikes: 1970 Peugeot PX-10 single speed - 1992 Ibis Cousin It Tandem - Zizzo Liberte’ Folding Bike

Originally Posted by frogman
Can you give more information on what model Sunrace friction shifter ?.
Sunrace Friction Shifter

Now only $6.99…

Old 04-16-23, 10:03 AM
frogman

Bikes: Wife says I have too many :-)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 250 Times in 158 Posts
Thanks !
Old 04-17-23, 05:47 PM
tiger1964 

Bikes: Drysdale/Gitane/Zeus/Masi/Falcon/Palo Alto/Raleigh/Legnano

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 987 Post(s)
Liked 641 Times in 407 Posts
The blue cover adds five mph all by itself.

Likes For tiger1964:
Old 04-17-23, 06:54 PM
P.L.Jensen
Pedal Pusher

For sure, did you see how non-aero the original SunRace lever was… Square is slow, curved is fast… I was wondering if anyone would pick up on that…!!!…
Old 04-25-23, 08:29 AM
P.L.Jensen
Pedal Pusher

Originally Posted by Wildwood
@P.L.Jensen - May we have a pic of the whole front end and also the bike.

(above) Significantly modified Zizzo Liberte…

(above) The stock Liberte was a great starting point to build a really great bike, folding or not…

(above) The flat bars that came with it were ok, but the drop bars with the Cinelli extensions offer more and better hand positions… The Cinelli extensions have small finger hooks that I find myself using a lot… My index finger is on the orange, the second finger is hooked and my palm is on the bar… Narrow, controllable and a great option to the brake levers…

(above) With the flat bar gone, so too was the Shimano grip shirt gear changer… Replacing that is the stem quick release mounted friction shifter… The brake levers are Tektro linear-pull compatible… They control the replacement Box 3 brake calipers with KoolStop salmon shoes…

The stock rims were liberated from the factory hubs, then the black paint finish was wet sanded off, polished, then new hubs were laced… Front hub: Phil Brompton… Rear: triple sealed bearing freewheel hub… Wheel building by Corey Thompson Custom Bicycles

Tires: Schwalbe Marathon- 20” x 1.5” … Good, high mileage and predictable…

(above) The stock drivetrain was pretty weak and begging for removal… The new bottom bracket bearing is a Shimano square taper sealed bearing cartridge… Bollted on is a Campy Chorus crankset with a 39 tooth chainring and a chainguard made from a 53 tooth ring with the teeth ground and sanded off… 9 speed freewheel 12-26… The replacement rear derailleur is Campy Chorus tied to the stem mounted friction shifter… Old school, precise and quick…

(above) The replacement folding pedals are Kootu all alloy… Being tall, I replaced the stock seatpost with one that is longer, and on top of that is a Sella Italia Flite Titanium/ Kevlar saddle… Over the rear wheel is an alloy rack and a Zizzo pack with (not showing) zip open, drop downs panier sides…

Last edited by P.L.Jensen; 04-25-23 at 09:27 AM.
Likes For P.L.Jensen: