Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Flash or steady for rear light?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Flash or steady for rear light?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-12, 02:38 PM
Mark Stone
Tractorlegs

Bikes: Schwinn Meridian Single-Speed Tricycle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by curbtender
I know in California clear lights are not allowed in the rear, unless there is some kind of endoscopy going on...
I use a clear light on the rear very rarely. If I'm riding directly into the sunrise or sunset and I know cars coming up behind me may be blinded by the sun, then I put my MiNewt 600 Cordless on the seatpost pointing back in flash mode. But that's the only time I do it. And that happens maybe only twice a year.
Old 09-15-12, 03:17 PM
bjjoondo 

Bikes: 2011 ICE Sprint Special Edition

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 66 Posts
We run single, "multi-pattern flashing" rear red light in the daytime, (super flash) and then add a "single flashing light" at dark. We also wear "motorcycle style reflective vest's" at night. 1-3light wide beam, 1-1light spot beam and one "blinking" light up front. YMMV.

Old 09-15-12, 04:13 PM
rubic
Slogging along

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse '06, Mongoose titanium road bike '00--my commuter. Yes, Mongoose once made a decent ti road bike.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In the front, steady. In the rear I use one steady and one flashing.
Old 09-15-12, 04:16 PM
ratdog

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
NYC is specific in it's law that the back have a steady red on the back and white lights in the front from dusk to dawn. That's why I use one steady red light on the back and the other two are flashing red lights. I think flashing reds in the back are necessary in a place like NYC where there is a lot more lighting from other sources like cars, restaurants and stores. They help to be seen by drawing more attention.

As a side note, I've been using a very bright LED light up front in the blinking mode from dawn to dusk and I have found that the pedestrians in NYC who love to stray into the crosswalk while waiting for the cars to go by just so they can jaywalk tend to step out in front of me less than before. I also run an additional steady white light up front just so the NYC police cannot find any reason to ticket me.
Old 09-15-12, 04:17 PM
volosong

Bikes: n + 1

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 15 Posts
As others have mentioned, strobe front and rear, always! (But not when if a group ride.)
Old 09-15-12, 05:37 PM
prathmann

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by curbtender
I know in California clear lights are not allowed in the rear, unless there is some kind of endoscopy going on...
Only if it's blue:
Sect. 21201.3
"(b) No person shall display a steady or flashing blue warning light on a bicycle or motorized bicycle except as authorized under subdivision (a). "

Other code sections (24600) that prohibit clear lights specify that they only apply to motor vehicles or vehicles at the rear of a combination of vehicles. Under California law bicycles are human powered devices, not vehicles.
Old 09-15-12, 05:44 PM
Looigi

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Agree with the others that say flashing for conspicuity and steady to help drivers judge position and speed. Running two lights also provides redundancy.

A flashing headlight helps make drivers notice that there's something different and may draw their attention. It's not just another distant car or motorcycle headlight, or a fixed light on the side of the road.

Perhaps flashing lights in general attract drunks, but bright flashing blue lights tend repel most drunks AFAIK.
Old 09-15-12, 06:09 PM
trackhub

Bikes: Bridgestone RB-1. Nicely restored

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Flashing red in the rear is an attention getter. I'm running a Planet Bike superflash "Turbo". This is intensely bright, and the flash pattern is similar to an emergency
vehicle flasher.

Front: Planet bike 2W superflash. I run it in superflash mode during the day. It gets noticed in urban traffic situations. Steady at night. These lights work nicely on re-chargeable NiMh batteries. Save a few bucks, be a little kinder to mother earth.
Old 09-15-12, 06:49 PM
Mort Canard

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Come to think of it, I am surprised that no one has made a pair of flashing LED pedal blinkies. That would certainly grab the attention. A pair of blinking lights bouncing out of phase, up and down next to each other.
Old 09-15-12, 06:54 PM
ratdog

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you commute, just get 2 of these

https://www.amazon.com/Planet-Bike-Mu.../dp/B000AO7JP0
Old 09-15-12, 07:03 PM
Mort Canard

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ratdog
If you commute, just get 2 of these

https://www.amazon.com/Planet-Bike-Mu.../dp/B000AO7JP0
That's pretty close to the old leg light. I may have to pick up one or two of those.
Old 09-15-12, 07:28 PM
dalameda

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There have been some recent studies that would seem to confirm the moth effect - flashing lights draw the drivers attention and they sometimes steer in the direction that their attention is focused. Google the "moth effect". Having said that, I still use a flashing light in the back.
Old 09-16-12, 04:25 AM
Bikey Mikey

Bikes: Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Humans perceive movement far easier than static or steady. Flashing is movement--we are wired to notice it.
Old 09-16-12, 12:30 PM
sknhgy 
Dirt Bomb

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 5473 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 239 Posts
Flashing taillight because it gets their attention and my batteries last longer.
Old 09-16-12, 01:11 PM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 1,287 Times in 710 Posts
Originally Posted by Barrettscv
One of each.
^^^This.

Or, perhaps, a dozen of each.

But if you are truly concerned, then you can't dismiss the fact that the arguments for solid versus flashing are equally compelling.

Which isn't the same as saying they're equally true, but this isn't really about rationality at all. Strap a pair of lights on your back, one solid/one flashing, and then quit worrying and ride.
Old 09-16-12, 02:29 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1611 Post(s)
Liked 2,593 Times in 1,225 Posts
Originally Posted by prathmann
Only if it's blue:
Sect. 21201.3
"(b) No person shall display a steady or flashing blue warning light on a bicycle or motorized bicycle except as authorized under subdivision (a). "

Other code sections (24600) that prohibit clear lights specify that they only apply to motor vehicles or vehicles at the rear of a combination of vehicles. Under California law bicycles are human powered devices, not vehicles.
I thought that clear was only allowed as a directional/reverse light. I'd still not use it in the rear.
Old 09-16-12, 05:50 PM
trackhub

Bikes: Bridgestone RB-1. Nicely restored

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by JanMM
Trying to remember leg lights but am coming up blank.
I think what is being referred to, are those French made, light-weight lights that had two lenses. One white lens to face front, and a red one to face toward the rear.
The strap was long enough to wear on your leg, but could be adjusted to wear on your arm as well. These got moved around quite a bit, so they were noticeable despite
their low power. (compared to today's high energy LED lights)

Alas, I have not seen them for many years. Heh, I remember seeing them at... Herman's World of sporting goods. Heh.
Old 09-16-12, 06:05 PM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 371 Posts
Originally Posted by Mort Canard
Come to think of it, I am surprised that no one has made a pair of flashing LED pedal blinkies. That would certainly grab the attention. A pair of blinking lights bouncing out of phase, up and down next to each other.
It's been done.
https://www.unitedbicyclesupply.com/i...ls&tc=FLASHING
Old 09-16-12, 06:10 PM
ensell

Bikes: specialized crossroads.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That sounds like a great idea! I have recently bought some small lights that attach to the bottom of dropped bars. One red rear facing and one white front facing. They haven't been delivered yet but I thought they were pretty good ideas too.

I think the additional few lights is worth wile. For the sake of a few quid they could avoid a huge accident!
Old 09-16-12, 06:13 PM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 371 Posts
Originally Posted by ensell
That sounds like a great idea! I have recently bought some small lights that attach to the bottom of dropped bars. One red rear facing and one white front facing. They haven't been delivered yet but I thought they were pretty good ideas too.

I think the additional few lights is worth wile. For the sake of a few quid they could avoid a huge accident!
Well, looky here. A new member. Welcome. Start a new thread and introduce yourself.
Old 09-16-12, 06:44 PM
Phil85207
Century bound

Bikes: Felt AR4 and Cannondale hybrid

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I agree with the overwhelming majority that flashing in the rear. For the front, If I need to see the road at night it's a steady light and for others to see me it's flashing.
Old 09-16-12, 07:20 PM
B. Carfree

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
Check your local regulations. In many European countries, flashing tail lights are not permitted.
This relates to the difference between those European countries and the U.S. in terms of how driving is treated. To put in simply, in Western Europe, a license to drive is expensive and difficult to obtain and easy to lose. In the U.S., a license is trivial to obtain and very difficult to lose. Think of how many times people are struck by motorists in the U.S. and the motorist says, "I didn't see him." and gets off without even a citation. In Europe, that's an admission of guilt and incompetence to drive.

Therefore, their motorists tend to be more highly skilled and more attentive to what they are doing. Thus, their cyclists are required to use a light that allows the motorist to accurately asses a cyclist's position, which a steady light does. Here in the States, if a motorist can accurately assess a cyclist's position, then he/she is more likely to cut it too close and it is only a matter of time until one of our incompetent motorists misjudges the size/position of his/her car and ends a life. We need a larger buffer of space here, so we use flashing rear lights on bikes because it is more difficult to precisely locate where the light is and that usually causes a motorist to give more space when passing.

To avoid target fixation problems, use a light that is too bright for a motorist to stare at and aim it where their eyes will be. In my opinion, wimpy lights like the Planet Bike Super Flash and Super Flash Turbo are just bright enough to attract drunks. Dinottes, and similar extremely bright lights, do the job. Of course, this job would be better done by removing the ability of drunks to drive, but that's more of a P&R topic.
Old 09-17-12, 03:16 AM
ensell

Bikes: specialized crossroads.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart
Well, looky here. A new member. Welcome. Start a new thread and introduce yourself.
Thanks. I started an introduction thread after this.
Old 09-17-12, 04:42 AM
ThatBritBloke
Oh! That British Bloke ..

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Some of the new lights utilise a pulsing pattern rather than a strobe, so the light is always on rather than on/off.
Old 09-17-12, 05:37 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1671 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 1,062 Posts
Steady for me. Flashing/occluding/pulsing lights make it harder for other road users to judge your distance and speed and cause target fixation.

It's important to be seen from the back but more important to be seen from the front: most accidents happen at intersections.

If you must run flashing lights on the road, please, please! switch them to steady when you get to the MUP. Thank you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.